Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BEWARE!!! Crosstown Blvd Speedtrap

Exclamation BEWARE!!! Crosstown Blvd Speedtrap

All drivers that use Crosstown Blvd. and you know who you are beware of the speed trap from 65- 45 mph instantly.....OCPD's new fave hangout you have been warned

Default Re: BEWARE!!! Crosstown Blvd Speedtrap

I thought that large of a drop was illegal, and that speed was supposed to be stepped down in increments, ... say 65-55-45-35, or something similar.

Hmmm, be nice if we had a thread about known speed traps, but that's probably not something Pete would like to be on here...

4. Default Re: BEWARE!!! Crosstown Blvd Speedtrap

Odd.... I drive through there regularly and I've never been trapped.... Guess paying attention to speed limit signs helps.... Seems to be a foreign concept to too many drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I thought that large of a drop was illegal, and that speed was supposed to be stepped down in increments, ... say 65-55-45-35, or something similar.
    Yes I agree from 65-55 mph would be acceptable

where is this at on the crosstown? And, is it construction based, rather than a trap?

I've drove the crosstown everyday for the past two years on my way to Norman and never knew it went down to 45? I was also under the impression it was 60 the whole way through? I did however notice 4 motorcycle cops there on Tuesday working east bound by shields.

8. Default Re: BEWARE!!! Crosstown Blvd Speedtrap

Pay attention to "reduce speed ahead" signs and you'll be fine. Ignore it, then pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    I've drove the crosstown everyday for the past two years on my way to Norman and never knew it went down to 45? I was also under the impression it was 60 the whole way through? I did however notice 4 motorcycle cops there on Tuesday working east bound by shields.
    I think he means the new Boulevard connections and not the actual interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hmmm, be nice if we had a thread about known speed traps, but that's probably not something Pete would like to be on here...
    Can't understand why he would not. It is not illegal or vulgar and it is keeping us informed. You're not implying that Pete is in favor of speed traps are you?

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Pay attention to "reduce speed ahead" signs and you'll be fine. Ignore it, then pay up.
    Or they could do the logical thing and not have the speeds limited to 45mph on a four to six lane evelated highway with 9ft. Lanes.

That makes much more sense! Haha I obliviously read to fast. Thanks!

Don't speed on broadway north 13th. Unless you would like a ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Or they could do the logical thing and not have the speeds limited to 45mph on a four to six lane evelated highway with 9ft. Lanes.
    The logical thing is to follow the posted speed limit. It doesn't matter how many lanes or how wide, the limit is the limit. (I'm well aware how road set up influences the feeling of how fast you should go but that is actually irrelevant because the speed limit is the law.)

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersooner
    Don't speed on broadway north 13th. Unless you would like a ticket
    isn't that stretch posted at some ridiculous limit like 35? -M

Quote Originally Posted by metro405 View Post
    All drivers that use Crosstown Blvd. and you know who you are beware of the speed trap from 65- 45 mph instantly.....OCPD's new fave hangout you have been warned
    The speed limit on the crosstown freeway is 60 (granted most people are driving 65 to 70), which drops to 50 on the ramp between the freeway and boulevard, then drops to 45.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    The logical thing is to follow the posted speed limit. It doesn't matter how many lanes or how wide, the limit is the limit. (I'm well aware how road set up influences the feeling of how fast you should go but that is actually irrelevant because the speed limit is the law.)
    That's entrapment than. We pay for the roads and to have them set a speed limit that is unreasonable and to just accept it and move on is ridiculous. I'm not saying we all need to go out there and speed, but the city or whoever needs to either up the limit or demolish the road and build it as an urban BLVD. that would actually require lower speeds. I be the only reason ODOT put the speeds that low is so people couldn't say it's a high-speed freeway through downtown.

That road as it is should be 65MPH all the way to Blackwelder Ave. then drop to 55MPH to Klein then drop to 45 after Classen then drop to 35MPH after Shartel and then drop to 30MPH after Walker that is the slowest it should be in my opinion. I'm sure others will jump(or would have if I didn't point this out) that it's just my driving record and blah blah, but I am looking at this from a logic standpoint.

Having a wide, elevated, limited access highway at 45MPH is entrapment. Simple as that. I don't even use the BLVD., so I'm not biased here, just speaking from my perspective.

BTW, when the BLVD. first opened, I would go there every once in awhile with some friends that had some higher end cars and we would fly down that sucker in the middle of the night when there was no traffic, so I know that BLVD. can handle higher speeds. Granted the speeds shouldn't be anywhere close to how we were going, but I do know they should be 10-20 MPH faster than what they are now.

But you are right, the law is the law and I'm not arguing with that. I'm arguing that there needs to be a change. However this state already has extremely low speed limits on most of the streets and actually has higher speed limits on certain streets where I think they should actually be lower, so I'm probably just wasting my time here.

That's entrapment than. We pay for the roads and to have them set a speed limit that is unreasonable and to just accept it and move on is ridiculous. I'm not saying we all need to go out there and speed, but the city or whoever needs to either up the limit or demolish the road and build it as an urban BLVD. that would actually require lower speeds. I be the only reason ODOT put the speeds that low is so people couldn't say it's a high-speed freeway through downtown.

That road as it is should be 65MPH all the way to Blackwelder Ave. then drop to 55MPH to Klein then drop to 45 after Classen then drop to 35MPH after Shartel and then drop to 30MPH after Walker that is the slowest it should be in my opinion. I'm sure others will jump(or would have if I didn't point this out) that it's just my driving record and blah blah, but I am looking at this from a logic standpoint.

Having a wide, elevated, limited access highway at 45MPH is entrapment. Simple as that. I don't even use the BLVD., so I'm not biased here, just speaking from my perspective.

BTW, when the BLVD. first opened, I would go there every once in awhile with some friends that had some higher end cars and we would fly down that sucker in the middle of the night when there was no traffic, so I know that BLVD. can handle higher speeds. Granted the speeds shouldn't be anywhere close to how we were going, but I do know they should be 10-20 MPH faster than what they are now.

But you are right, the law is the law and I'm not arguing with that. I'm arguing that there needs to be a change. However this state already has extremely low speed limits on most of the streets and actually has higher speed limits on certain streets where I think they should actually be lower, so I'm probably just wasting my time here.
    Pretty much sums up how non-freeway highways are designed, they know people will speed and will not even get down to 5 - 10 miles over it hundreds of feet past the signs, so that is what you end up with.

It also reminds me of some of the problems about letting state DOTs controlling the design of main streets. A street is to serve pedestrians, bikes, cars, trucks and promote development of buildings on either side; a road is to promote driving long distances from one place to another; what DOTs end up is shoehorning in a poor mix of the two that do neither well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Pretty much sums up how non-freeway highways are designed, they know people will speed and will not even get down to 5 - 10 miles over it hundreds of feet past the signs, so that is what you end up with.

It also reminds me of some of the problems about letting state DOTs controlling the design of main streets. A street is to serve pedestrians, bikes, cars, trucks and promote development of buildings on either side; a road is to promote driving long distances from one place to another; what DOTs end up is shoehorning in a poor mix of the two that do neither well.
    Yeah. I think every department should work with each other when 'their' projects come in contact with each other, but I think ODOT should be relieved of its duties when it comes to controlling rail. The cities should control the streets, ODOT builds highways and controls waterways, and a new division for rail is established.

20. Default Re: BEWARE!!! Crosstown Blvd Speedtrap

Glad I got the go-to-jail speeds on my motorcycle on that stretch out of my system already. It was pretty open and inviting for a while...

I think you are thinking of I-40. I think the OP is talking about the western part of the new boulevard.

Naturally, I mean this is our prized Boulevard de Oklahoma City we are talking about, you should be able to drive 60 meaning 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    isn't that stretch posted at some ridiculous limit like 35? -M
    Re: Broadway north of 13th.

Worse. It's 30. Northbound you have to ride your brakes due to the hill just south of 16th Street. I know at least 6 people with tickets there. Oklahoma County Sheriffs hang out in the renovation statio parking lot in unmarked cars.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-12-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I think you are thinking of I-40. I think the OP is talking about the western part of the new boulevard.
    I-40 is ten lanes. I'm talking about the BLVD. the very Western part of the BLVD. that is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Naturally, I mean this is our prized Boulevard de Oklahoma City we are talking about, you should be able to drive 60 meaning 75.
    Well, most people don't go more than 10 over here, and that is a stretch. You can fly by people doing the speed limit in this city.

Take it as it is, but the BLVD. is there and that's what we have, so appropriate speeds need to be set.

Thread Information