Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Dodgers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OKC Dodgers

BillShaikin: Can confirm Oklahoma City #Dodgers will be name of LAD AAA affiliate, as @sportslogosnet says.

Default Re: OKC Dodgers

Oklahoma City RedHawks: Team to unveil new Dodgers nickname Wednesday | News OK

True, and I'm not a fan of that.

Oklahoma City’s new baseball team will be called the Dodgers.

Bill Shaikin, the Los Angeles Times national baseball writer, confirmed the new nickname Tuesday night on Twitter.

We did it OKC! We are the new LA!

This is an ugly joke, right?? Please, please tell me it's a joke. Although I know it isn't.

What a slap in the face. Great chance to build goodwill reaching out to OKC, and they give us this crapola.

They should have either left it Redhawks or went back to 89ers. While the change personally doesn't bother me, the team would get a lot better reception and attendance if they were called something that actually meant something to Oklahomans. There isn't a lot of Dodgers fandom or loyalty in Oklahoma so I think going with that was a mistake.

Reaction ranges frim horrible to "vomit" as one Twitter user put it.

This is starting out REALLY well. Not.

They could make 89ers go with the blue.. but I guess its done now.. Dumb.. OKC Dodgers

9. Default Re: OKC Dodgers

I agree, the name has no historical resonance here in OKC, but it will have meaning in the future . We are due to get a "trolley" ourselves, and people will be dodging it through the streets of OKC (remember that is the origin of team name from their very early days in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers...), so perhaps it won't be such an irrelevant name soon. (It's a stretch, I know, but I am trying to be positive here!)

I really like the left hat logo a lot, but I, too, wish they would have gone with 89'ers instead.

Blue jerseys with OKC in white across the chest, blue pants, hats are just like the Dodgers except they are white and say OKC

My initial reaction was to hate the new logo and name, but it's growing on me already for a couple reasons. First, the Dodgers are a historic brand associated with Jackie Robinson and decades of great players. It's not like the name is the OKC Astros (a franchise which OKCitians seemed to have developed no affiliation). The brand will be identifiable immediately with a lot of people, unlike RedHawks. I would think that Dodgers fans in the region or travelling through the area would be more likely to take in a game because of the association. Secondly, the uniforms, hats, etc. with the "OKLA" reference are pretty cool and kind of old school.

A return to 89ers would have been cool, but I never liked the RedHawks name even if the logo was cool. People will likely get used to it, but hopefully this is the beginning of a long term relationship with the Dodgers, not 5 or 10 years.

Dat patch though. That sucker is epic. Take notes Thunder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patch.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	9614

How dare they change our name!! I'm outraged!! The Redhawks name is deeply engraved in the history of OKC. Oh wait, since 1998. Carry on...

Personally . . . I'd be a bit wary and weary of the concept mentioned, above.
    And here's why? . . . (not that I'm a property delveoper or flipper or whatever . . .)
    (It's a cautionary tale/metaphor/allegory that goes back a few years and involves a click or two for understanding)
    In point o' fact, Ry Cooder did a musical video (a few years back) to underline it.

The Chavez Ravine Story

A pox upon you History/Perspective/Philosophy Major/Miner/or I Say =)

Like it. There are tons more logos and uni designs.

would it be Oxymoronal to Take "Sport" Seriously?
    and how would that translate to a tee-shirt or jersey?

Any word on what the new mascot will be?

OK LA is clever. The hats are cool too. Very clean and fresh. The Thunder and their "Blue" abomination should take notes like gopokes said.

They will be introducing new mascots before the new season.

love that alternate hat with the OKC lettering, will definitely be purchasing one of those.

the solid blue alternate uni is a LOT of blue but I like it, very 70's

I'm a HUGE Dodger fan. Never could warm up to the Rangers. Not that they were
    bad. Not at all. I'm a Dodger fan and have been since they were in Brooklyn.

True story. My family moved from California the year the Dodgers moved to
    California.

Too funny.

I suppose I'll get used to it. Don't have any particular attachment to 89ers or Redhawks, but this just sounds so darn weird. And as a LA Dodgers fan, I'll have to be specific about which Dodgers I'm talking about.

The Dodger brand is second only to the Yankees in baseball. I can see why they would want to leverage it.

Also, it will help build more Dodger fans in Oklahoma.

As it is now, even I lose track of the current parent club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Dodger brand is second only to the Yankees in baseball. I can see why they would want to leverage it.

Also, it will help build more Dodger fans in Oklahoma.

As it is now, even I lose track of the current parent club.
    Another thing worth mentioning, Tulsa is now the Dodgers AA affiliate and will also be the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Another thing worth mentioning, Tulsa is now the Dodgers AA affiliate and will also be the Dodgers.
    They're not being called the Dodgers though, right? I couldn't find anything saying that. I'm assuming they're staying the Drillers, which is a unique name.

Thread Information