Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Dodgers

Default Re: OKC Dodgers

These are already in the team store:

I like it! I love it. I like the name change. I like the design change. It's all great!

I want to buy and wear some OKC Dodgers stuff around LA and see what people say.

I'm sure almost no one out here even will understand the farm team connection.

Love everything about everything!! The name change, the new logo, the new unis, the new merchandise. They are going to sell way more tickets just for the simple fact they have the Dodgers name.

I'm sorry . . . Yet, the word Dodgers, in association with The OKC Penn Bank Ripoffs, back it the 80's, makes the Team Moniker unacceptable to me. But I'll get over it. Not only that. this all reinforces my preconceived notion that Spectator Sports are for Wusses.

Don't get angry about my "notion" . . .
    Simply wonder why Spectator Sports matter to you.
    Then decide . . . =)

I've already made plans to buy a hat to add to my rotation.

I've never purchased a RedHawks item. I have a free tshirt from a redhawks game I use when working around the house, working on my car, or any task that I don't care about destroying a shirt with.

This branding is genius and will be wildly successful and profitable.

I can only dream of imagining a rotation involving hats.
    (I guess some envy should creep in here but it can't)

I can't wait to go see the Dodgers and Cubs game on Saturday May 16th!

Blog Entries

Gotta love it. It's clever marketing.

Oklahoma City is DodgerTown,

...goodbye, Astros, take your 'sorry' minor league operations to the Woodshed, correction, that's Woodlands.
    So long sad times
    Go long bad times
    We are rid of you at last
    Howdy gay times
    Cloudy gray times
    You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again
    The skies above are clear again
    So let's sing a song of cheer again
    Happy days are here again

Los Angeles Dodgers organization recognizes Oklahoma City baseball for its potential.

10. Default Re: OKC Dodgers

Professional baseball teams in Oklahoma City have had a variety of names, dating back to 1904.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Minor League History | Baseball-Reference.com

Love it. People also have to realize there are a ton of minor league franchises that are named after their parent club. Regardless of the name the logos look great and show a connection to the state.

I like the name, the designs look great, I wonder if they are going to make upgrades to the ballpark, or maybe changing the name of the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Dodger brand is second only to the Yankees in baseball. I can see why they would want to leverage it.

Also, it will help build more Dodger fans in Oklahoma.

As it is now, even I lose track of the current parent club.
    Another thing worth mentioning, Tulsa is now the Dodgers AA affiliate and will also be the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFan View Post
    Love it. People also have to realize there are a ton of minor league franchises that are named after their parent club. Regardless of the name the logos look great and show a connection to the state.
    Oh, well, I'll just have to admit to being in the minority on this one.

Oklahoma City has worked its butt off in the last 30 years to achieve its own identity, so we advance that notion by burying our own little slice of minor-league baseball history in the name of another franchise from a completely different city with absolutely no relevance to Oklahoma City whatsoever, and this is all OK because of the cool hats.

Allllrighty then. Like I said, I'm obviously in the minority here. And I fully recognize Gruber bought the franchise and he could call it the Flying Zombies if he wanted. I'm just not at all convinced how long they'll be in OKC. They're bucking a trend toward pulling farm clubs *closer* to the parent by setting up shop in OKC. We'll see.

I just hope somehow, some way, someone will recall that without the likes of the crazy old Harry Valentine and later Bing and then Patty Cox Hampton, who sold minor league baseball in OKC when it wasn't really very marketable, yet hung on and made it work, we almost certainly would have neither the Team Formerly Known as the 89ers, nor the Bricktown Ballpark - and it's no small irony to me that a linchpin of the original MAPS project was that very ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    I like the name, the designs look great, I wonder if they are going to make upgrades to the ballpark, or maybe changing the name of the ballpark.
    Story in todays paper said they are building some outfield seats to a 3 tier level that can be rented for groups.

I like it as well. I agree that the LA Dodgers has one of the most easily recognizable brands, and incorporating it into OKC's newly redesigned logo's and uni's is genius. I've always liked how LA has had a simple traditional look. I seriously thought about running out and buying a hat or a shirt. I'd have never done that for the Redhawks. This, IMO, looks major league good. Seriously I love the Thunder, but they need to take some notes,

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

Oklahoma City has worked its butt off in the last 30 years to achieve its own identity, so we advance that notion by burying our own little slice of minor-league baseball history in the name of another franchise from a completely different city with absolutely no relevance to Oklahoma City whatsoever, and this is all OK because of the cool hats.

Allllrighty then. Like I said, I'm obviously in the minority here. And I fully recognize Gruber bought the franchise and he could call it the Flying Zombies if he wanted. I'm just not at all convinced how long they'll be in OKC. They're bucking a trend toward pulling farm clubs *closer* to the parent by setting up shop in OKC. We'll see.

I just hope somehow, some way, someone will recall that without the likes of the crazy old Harry Valentine and later Bing and then Patty Cox Hampton, who sold minor league baseball in OKC when it wasn't really very marketable, yet hung on and made it work, we almost certainly would have neither the Team Formerly Known as the 89ers, nor the Bricktown Ballpark - and it's no small irony to me that a linchpin of the original MAPS project was that very ballpark.
    I get what you're saying. Minor league baseball is full of fun and goofy names that say something about the town or region. Redhawks was a boring name. 89ers meant something to OKC but I never found it very exciting as a team name. But what happens when we lose affiliation with LA? Will we need to change names again?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I get what you're saying. Minor league baseball is full of fun and goofy names that say something about the town or region. Redhawks was a boring name. 89ers meant something to OKC but I never found it very exciting as a team name. But what happens when we lose affiliation with LA? Will we need to change names again?

We don't change the name, the owners do. Such is the life of a minor league affiliate. OKC Stars, Blazers, now Barons, eh? While one poster laments the fact that the name "Dodgers" has no local relevance, how much relevance does the name "Jazz" have to the NBA franchise in SLC? Or the relevance of "Lakers" to Los Angeles? The product on the field and not the name of the club is what puts azzes in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Another thing worth mentioning, Tulsa is now the Dodgers AA affiliate and will also be the Dodgers.
    They're not being called the Dodgers though, right? I couldn't find anything saying that. I'm assuming they're staying the Drillers, which is a unique name.

I'm a HUGE Dodger fan. Never could warm up to the Rangers. Not that they were
    bad. Not at all. I'm a Dodger fan and have been since they were in Brooklyn.

True story. My family moved from California the year the Dodgers moved to
    California.

Too funny.

Story in todays paper said they are building some outfield seats to a 3 tier level
    that can be rented for groups.
    What part of the outfield? Left? Right? Certainly they'll leave the 'Hill' in Center.
    Right field is is the least attractive part of the park. Maybe they'll build the tiers
    there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

I guess I am in the minority with you also SoonerDave, It gives us no identity of our own. I really dislike the OKL/A logo. But I don't own the team and I will still support them as they are our hometown (even with another town's name) team. But, when it comes to MLB......Go Sox!

Story in todays paper said they are building some outfield seats to a 3 tier level that can be rented for groups.
    Does that mean they will also stop covering seats we already have

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    What part of the outfield? Left? Right? Certainly they'll leave the 'Hill' in Center.
    Right field is is the least attractive part of the park. Maybe they'll build the tiers
    there.
    It sounded like left because they said something about home run alley. Also group outing rentals for the entire section.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    They're not being called the Dodgers though, right? I couldn't find anything saying that. I'm assuming they're staying the Drillers, which is a unique name.
    I thought I read it, but I just looked and can't find it, so maybe stay the Drillers, which I'd prefer them to keep.

Found this -

Byrnes said it’s not feasible for the OKC Dodgers to play the major league team in an exhibition game in 2015 due to prior commitments, but it is on future agendas. He didn’t want to speak for Tulsa management, now home to the Dodgers’ Double-A affiliate, but it appears they’ll stick with the nickname Drillers.

Thread Information