Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen 16

Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Dan Dill?

That's kind of along the lines of Rainey Williams, although this is a more appropriate project for a new developer.

Only developments that come to mind immediately are Dollar general stores and Goodwill. but I am sure he has done others but lets hope they develop this into a great piece of property for the surrounding Districts or flips it to someone who will.

3. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Dan Dill?

That's kind of along the lines of Rainey Williams, although this is a more appropriate project for a new developer.
    Don't make any assumptions. As for those who question whether Dan Dill is just a front, and question his capacity for doing this development, well, you don't know Dan Dill.

4. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Quote Originally Posted by OKC plaza View Post
    We are definitely paying attention and have formed a design/use review committee consisting of stakeholders from Plaza District, Gatewood, Classen Ten Penn that have a good understanding of design and vision for the neighborhood as a whole. Although we are limited on single family development, we do have the opportunity to work with developers seeking to rezone. We expect to connect with this new developer, and we are hopeful he will be open to working with us to ensure this project is great for the neighborhood.
    Great news. Keep up the good work!

I miss that hood...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is there any thought as to creating a formal design review district (ala Bricktown and others) or at least extending the boundaries of the existing Urban Design Commission?

This would have to happen through the City, obviously.
    We discussed it at a staff level a few times (extending UDC east of the Plaza District area). The tough part is that the regulations for UDC are generally written to discuss commercial development, not single family or small multi-family residential, which is what happens on 16th between Blackwelder and Classen.

I think Classen from the Blvd to NW 23rd would be a good addition to UDC area...

6. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know Braum's has plans to rebuild to their new concept, which would explain the lots to the west that they've owned for a while.

The two lots to the south make less sense, unless they want to turn that area into parking.
    One more (off-topic) post on this thread.

I suspect the intention is to build the new concept on the west lots while keeping the original store in operation. Once the new store is complete, the old one gets demo'd for parking.

^

Good point!

In that case, the new building would run N/S between 16th & 17th.

Wonder whatever happened to the awesome Herman's sign. It was a good one.

Default Re: Plaza District

Steve's update on the old Herman's location.

Classen verve: Oklahoma City developers buy former Triples restaurant, Farmers Market properties | NewsOK.com

Pivot Project bought the 1.1-acre site for $750,000 on Friday, though the three have yet to decide on a plan for how to redevelop the site.
    The article also includes an update on the same group's plans for the Farmer's Market District and Classen Blvd.

Default Re: Plaza District

Haha... I should probably charge a commission on this transaction as I called Ben right after Dan & Justin Dill bought the property and told him the Dills' development plans had fallen through, as they bought with the intention of leasing back to a specific retailer.

In fairness, Ben said he had been trying to acquire the property for years but couldn't get anywhere as the owners didn't speak English well and were very hard to track down.

Really happy to see it's in great hands. The property is a gateway in and out of the Plaza District.

11. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

This is one of the properties I was alluding to a month or two ago in the Classen thread when I said that there were some key properties about to change hands that would stabilize and kickstart development on that corridor. Their plans for this property are really fantastic, and there is more to come.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    This is one of the properties I was alluding to a month or two ago in the Classen thread when I said that there were some key properties about to change hands that would stabilize and kickstart development on that corridor. Their plans for this property are really fantastic, and there is more to come.
    Urbanized, does this new Pivot Project trio already have a plan for this property?

Dang…a 50% return in less than a year?

Sign me up for that, please!

14. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Urbanized, does this new Pivot Project trio already have a plan for this property?
    Yes they do. But as David said in the article, they will be brainstorming other plans too, so it's a moving target. I'm sure what emerges will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yes they do. But as David said in the article, they will be brainstorming other plans too, so it's a moving target. I'm sure what emerges will be great.
    Is the general consensus that they plan to tear the current structure down and build new or salvage the building?

Glad a solid development group finally got ahold of this property. Excited to see what happens.

16. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Really not my place to repeat specifics of what I was told, sorry. I just knew the property was close to closing, and that there were already some thoughts on how they would probably like to proceed.

I agree, these are good/bright/driven guys all, and you can bet that it will be thoughtfully redeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Is the general consensus that they plan to tear the current structure down and build new or salvage the building?

Glad a solid development group finally got ahold of this property. Excited to see what happens.
    The Dills seemed solid. We will see here.

Preservation and destruction: Firm rehabs some buildings, removes others
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 12, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – A development team making headway around the city is going to tear down one of the buildings it purchased this summer.

The former Herman’s Seafood restaurant at NW 16th Street and Classen Boulevard will be demolished, said Jonathan Dodson, a partner in the firm The Pivot Project. His partner Ben Sellers said the 1.1-acre site is being studied for a mixed-use, multifamily development. He said it will fit in with the neighborhood. David Wanzer is the third member of The Pivot Project team.

Sellers said the demolition has been a point of contention with Dodson and his son, who wanted to save the building that dates back to 1949.

“We’re saving a lot of historic buildings, but that won’t be one of them,” Dodson said.

Dodson and Sellers spoke Thursday at the Commercial Real Estate Council luncheon about other buildings the team is saving and refurbishing.

Pivot Project is in the middle of renovating the Tower Theatre on NW 23rd Street. In October 2014, the team purchased the theater and some surrounding retail spaces, totaling 30,000 square feet. Dodson said 4,400 square feet of retail space and 3,000 square feet of second floor office are still available.

“All the leases have been at 20 percent higher than what we were underwriting a year ago,” Sellers said.

Levelland Productions has a 15-year lease on the former theater and a two-story spot east of the auditorium for the Savings and Loan cocktail bar. The bar will open in December, Dodson said. The theater is expected to open in early 2016. There is another bar planned for the west side of the development, but few details were given about that project.

Like many historic renovation projects, the developers have come across unexpected challenges. Sellers said the surprise in this development was the cost for restoring the Tower Theatre sign, which had a price tag of $85,000.

Sellers and Dodson also discussed the Sunshine Cleaners building, NW First Street and Classen Boulevard. It will house a restaurant and a brewery with a taproom. Joel Irby, a Colorado brewer that is originally from the area, will run the bar.

“He is preparing the taproom with the anticipation that state (liquor) laws will change,” Sellers said.

The restaurant is a separate business from the brewery and taproom.

“We also bought a boat,” Sellers said, pointing out a projected photo that showed a boat that was included in the sale sitting in the non-roofed building.

The building has windows along Classen Boulevard. The dividing wall between the restaurant and brewery will have similar windows, which will allow people to see into the restaurant and also view the brewery. Work on the Sunshine Cleaners building won’t start until 2016.

The problem with preservation in OKC is that someone could possibly conflate this structure with something one would preserve... How is that even a question??

Pretty sure this is the same JR reporter who believes buildings built since 1934 aren't eligible for historic rehabilitation tax credits. I don't think any of you realize how important it is that we have someone like Steve who truly gets it and will responsibly and intelligently frame the debate.

Sellers said, in jest, that Dodsons son, who's 8. Wanted to save the abandoned restaurant. I don't think molly wrote it quite right. No one that I've heard, is contesting that old thing torn down and the acre repurposed.

21. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Nobody will protest the demo. If anyone honestly believes that will happen, they have an incomplete understanding of what drives the HP argument, and also of the concept of higher and better use. On multiple levels it is all but impossible to argue that this building qualifies for HP protection, or even consideration of such.

If there are protests it will come from neighborhood NIMBYs who don't want adjacent multi-family/mixed-use, however the site is perfect for this and it will be an incredible addition to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Sellers said, in jest, that Dodsons son, who's 8. Wanted to save the abandoned restaurant. I don't think molly wrote it quite right. No one that I've heard, is contesting that old thing torn down and the acre repurposed.
    Right, I know Sellers wouldn't say that, but perhaps I give the local journalists way too much credit for how they frame the issues and how representative they are of local perspectives...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Right, I know Sellers wouldn't say that, but perhaps I give the local journalists way too much credit for how they frame the issues and how representative they are of local perspectives...
    You're lucky the local journalists (at the JR, at least) can get much right at all, saying this because I know someone who works very closely with the JR reporters and hear horror stories all the time.

I feel like that's unique, and highly disturbing. As someone who knows Steve relatively well, I can tell you that he has always known almost every issue inside and out. I think sometimes he's overlooked transit nuances or had to play a steady hand in situations that involved either Shadid or Nichols, where he burned a lot of OKC Talk's readership, but all in all Steve is typical of a breed of downtown reporters that really get it. Every major city has that one beat writer covering downtown development who probably knows enough to do downtown development themselves.

I have come to expect that from those who play a huge role in framing the issues within the local discourse. If the JR is recklessly reporting and failing to practice issue leadership, then the JR needs to be dumped. There is no excuse for not knowing the 50-year threshold with historic tax credits. That's basic. I won't fault a journalist for not knowing specifically how the Secretary of Interior Standards change for projects that leverage both the historic and low-income housing tax credits, but not fact checking a claim that disqualifies something as significant as Villa Teresa is a huge trust issue.

I think in 2015, critical thinking is pretty much mandatory for all of us, regardless of what job we do.

25. Default Re: 1701 N. Classen

Caught fire early this morning.

Thread Information