Widgets Magazine

Thread: Midwest City Railway Station

Default Midwest City Railway Station

I hear we're getting rail service from Midwest City to Sapulpa. Why isn't this on the website somewhere? Where is the station going to be in MWC? Just south of Rose, on Midwest Blvd. would be cool.

Default Re: Midwest City Railway Station

I've heard about this before and have wondered exactly where they would tie up at the end of the run. The closest the line from Sapulpa comes to Midwest City is in Spencer before heading southwest and crossing Midwest Blvd north of 36th St. , and 23rd just east of Sooner. But the line connects with an interchange by NE 4th & Sunnylane, or used to, that runs back southeast through Del City into Midwest City, but I thought it was seldom used anymore.

3. Default Re: Midwest City Railway Station

Midwest City is at a HUGE advantage when it comes to the light rail opportunities. There is no other suburb in OK County that is as far ahead of being a light rail community as Midwest City. City officials had a mind to keep the rail line and not remove it. The east terminus, east of Tinker was sold, but the spur to the 29th/Midwest Blvd. area was kept intact. When OKC becomes fully rail connected, Midwest City will be one of the first communities to benefit from already having the lines and ROW ready to go. The problem is upgrading the rail from a Class 2 to a Class 3 to support faster travel speeds.

Oklahoma completes $75M sale of railroad track | CJOnline.com (Published 8/4/2014)
    Trial passenger train service to start next year, linking Tulsa and OKC metros - KJRH.com (Published 8/5/2014)
    Sooner Sub railroad sale finalized - Tulsa World: Sapulpa News (Published 8/5/2014)
    Right On Track ? Oklahoma Magazine (Published 9/24/2014)

4. Default Re: Midwest City Railway Station

I haven't heard anything about Sapulpa. I'm not sure what the benefit would be in that though. It's fast enough to drive, that a train would actually be slower (because of the class of lines)....meaning, no high-speed train is going to be on those lines unless some major cash is dumped into upgrading them. And once you get to the other end (regardless of where you start), local mass transit isn't good enough to get you where you need to go, so you need a car anyway.

Thanks everyone. I guess I was wondering why it's not discussed, or mentioned on the front page of OKC Talk. There seems to be people that know every time a vacant lot sells, or an architect farts. All kinds of buzz about the "hipster trolley" in down/mid town. Guess I should remember, It's not "MWCTalk". That's OK. We can just enjoy it for ourselves.

It has been discussed in 3 threads that I can think of off the top of my head. I gave you a link to two of them. This is old news.

The specific rail line has been discussed in depth on this site.

Still, no location for the MWC station. There has to be a plan somewhere! Anybody know?

Check to see if they have built anything in this field yet: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4854...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

10. Default Re: Midwest City Railway Station

I don't think any rail happenings are going to be in the books until the next phase of commuter rail hits. As said, MWC/DC are the easy targets because of the existing unused line location.

11. Default Re: Midwest City Railway Station

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I don't think any rail happenings are going to be in the books until the next phase of commuter rail hits. As said, MWC/DC are the easy targets because of the existing unused line location.
    Because MWC/DC is ready to start, I think thats why it's not... I love my hometown, but when the rest of the metro looks at her.. well that's a different story.

I bet even when it does happen, it will be marketed at Tinker and not MWC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Because MWC/DC is ready to start, I think thats why it's not... I love my hometown, but when the rest of the metro looks at her.. well that's a different story.

I bet even when it does happen, it will be marketed at Tinker and not MWC/DC.
    I would really like to see the Heritage Park Mall be redeveloped into an actual town center and rail integrated into it.

13. Default Re: Midwest City Railway Station

Why? For one thing rail is more than a mile north (freight) or west (commuter) of there and would have to tear out residences to get there....or curve down the median on Reno and cut across traffic to get into the land....the gradient changes would be a nightmare for a rail line though all along that mile stretch from reno/sooner.

I'm not sure what we would get out of HPM though. The location is horrible for consolidated retail like that because its so far from the highway.....that's part of why HPM failed but the surrounding retail survived. To be honest, you're more likely to see it dozed by the city at some point, than someone coming in and re-doing it. With Sears and Lifechurch on either end, all you're left with is the small Montgomery Ward and Service Merchandise spots and a whole lot of bleh leaking roof retail.

I don't think you'll get any kind of destination retail at HPM. But I do like the idea of bulldozing it and turning it into a mixed use neighborhood.

Thread Information