Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Development Summary

1. Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Planning to go up to Tulsa for a quick getaway in the next couple weeks. Any recommendations on places to eat, things to see etc.? I go up every few months, but always have a set plan. Looking forward to exploring some of the things I haven't been able to see yet. Burn Co. and Philbrook are on the list currently.

Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Planning to go up to Tulsa for a quick getaway in the next couple weeks. Any recommendations on places to eat, things to see etc.? I go up every few months, but always have a set plan. Looking forward to exploring some of the things I haven't been able to see yet. Burn Co. and Philbrook are on the list currently.
    I always always recommend Smoke on Cherry Street. If you really want to shell out some dough Polo Grill is my go to for extremely special occasions (can't afford any more than that). Villa Ravenna in the Farm is an amazing Italian joint. And a "Badwich" from Elmer's is always a guilty pleasure of mine. I know there is probably better Q in town, but this place is historic...and good.

Gilcrease Museum is top notch and not to be missed. Shewin Miller Museum of Jewish Art is also quite impressive.

You could head up to my neck of the woods and hit Woolaroc, the Price Tower, Tallgrass Prairie Preserve where in a few weeks the Ree Drumand's new place will be opening just down the street.

Tulsa has really good districts -- Brookside, Cherry Street, Brady District -- and I recommend planning to visit them around a meal. There are a lot of options in each district. And, Philbrook Museum of Art is between Brookside and Cherry Street and, if nothing else, the property is amazing.

Blog Entries

The Hanson brothers (as in the band Hanson) are in talks with TDA to buy the site north of the Prairie Brewpub on Main in the Brady District. Their plan is to build a brewery and recording studio with some office and retail space as well.

http://www.newson6.com/story/3328036...brady-district

The brothers already sell mmmHops Pale Ale as the Hanson Brother's Brewing Company and hold the Hop Jam Music Festival each year.

http://www.hansonbrothersbeer.com/home.html

I honestly never would have thought these guys would have had such a successful resurgence as anything other than a teenie-bopper band. Although I honestly have not tried the beer. The festival seems to be working out fine though.

Kudos.

Blog Entries

The Tulsa Central Library reopened this weekend after a $50 million refurbishment of the Mid-Century Modern structure built in 1965.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...2f2b57db9.html

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    The Hanson brothers (as in the band Hanson)
    I'm glad you clarified because my first thought was the guys from Slap Shot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Here are some renderings of the final design for this project that was presented to the PAC trust yesterday by the developer and Reasors. Reasors is now fully on board with opening a 32,000 square feet downtown location as part of this project. The PAC trust still has to vote to approve the design. This design includes 240 apartments in a 12 story building and a garage with more than 600 parking spaces with 300 of them available for PAC events. If the PAC trust approves the project the plan will then go to the city council to ask for TIF funding.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/r...0460705f0.html
    The PAC Trust has approved the sale of the land for this development.

Great News for Tulsa!

Good looking project.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma Historical Society’s Oklahoma Museum of Pop Culture finally has a site. 422 N Main directly across the street from Cain's Ballroom. The $40 million, 40,000 square foot OKPOP will break ground in early 2018 and open in early 2019.

http://www.newson6.com/story/3405525...cains-ballroom

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...c427c3b8b.html

Like the place they ended up with. Seems fitting to be across from Cain's.

That's a great location! Another Tulsa surface lot bites the dust. This surface lot really kills the urban feel of the area right around Cain's.

There are now three game-changing developments going in on surface lots in Tulsa's core with the other two going in the Blue Dome District.

Everything I've been hoping for in the Brady District has slowly been coming true. There's not one but two prized Brewpubs operated by local breweries, a budding soccer franchise, and the random dead spaces are being filled in. Only thing I don't like is how the Davenport is proceding... but that will probably be OK in the end.

Yeah, Tulsa's core is really coming along. The container shipping project is really nice. I was surprised. And I finally was able to stop by thePrairie Brewpub last week and it's really well done. Lastly, Tulsa's renovated Central Library is just stunning. Very sleek, modern, high tech, and accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yeah, Tulsa's core is really coming along. The container shipping project is really nice. I was surprised. And I finally was able to stop by thePrairie Brewpub last week and it's really well done. Lastly, Tulsa's renovated Central Library is just stunning. Very sleek, modern, high tech, and accessible.
    At one time about 15 years ago Tulsa was going to build a new downtown library. Instead they decided to renovate the old one and it turned out really nice. I know either renovating or replacing the Belcher Federal Building next to the library (from the same Brutalist era) has been discussed as well. Unlike the Central Library I wouldn't mind seeing that building torn down, it creates a divide between the library/Aloft, the convention center and the BOK Center that could be greatly improved without a federal fortress er building right there. It would actually make a great place for a new convention hotel to complement the Doubletree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    And yet another magnificent announcement for a pending development. We'll now have our own "OKSEA!"
    -
    Developer Using Shipping Containers To Create Tulsa's Next Hot Spot
    Meagan Farley, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma -

"It's a development trend growing in big cities and internationally, and soon it will come to Tulsa.

What is now an empty lot downtown will soon be a place to shop, eat and listen to live music; and most of the buildings will be made out of shipping containers.

The 14,000-square foot lot near 3rd and Frankfort isn't serving much of a purpose now, but it sits in the middle of a block that is booming with construction and is directly next door to the popular Fur Shop bar.

Developer Casey Stowe said had a vision for the area after a recent trip to London.

"This would be the perfect thing for Tulsa. London, Tulsa, there is one in Dubai I believe," he said.

Now his vision is turning into a reality as The Boxyard, a mix of shops, restaurants and outdoor space made from old shipping containers, is coming to Tulsa."

Source: Developer Using Shipping Containers To Create Tulsa's Next Hot S - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
    -
    I'll refrain from uploading the pics here as I don't know the policy or if OKC Talk already has a built in function to credit the source...
    The Boxyard is now open.

Blog Entries

A new project, Block 44 by the Ross Group, has been approved by the TDA. This is on Elgin across the street from Oneok Field. Phase I is this five story office building with first floor retail. The building is already half leased and construction could start by the end of the year finishing by the end of 2018. Phase II would be a parking garage and Phase II would be mixed use.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/r...590679017.6793

HangryHippo Guest

The Ross Group is doing some cool stuff.

Blog Entries

Here's the full proposal from Ross, with some updates on their other projects as well:
    http://www.tulsadevelopmentauthority...A-Block-44.pdf

Blog Entries

The Flats on Archer are due to start this spring, it's a five story $11 million 62 unit apartment building at Boston and Archer next to Hey Mambo in the Brady District.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/r...09aaeec17.html

Blog Entries

Updates on residential projects downtown:

The Palace Building Lofts and the YMCA Lofts projects are now both completed and open. They have a combined 140 new residences.

The Meridia and First Street Lofts are both nearing completion with a combined 93 units.

A new construction residential building called Archer Flats is now under construction. This is five story, $11 million project with 61 units on the small lot behind Hey Mambo on Archer near Main in the Brady District.

Santa Fe Square has started construction on the west end of the site where the hotel is going. This project will eventually have 105 hotel rooms and 290 residential units.

Projects that are currently under construction have a combined 760 units.

Upcoming projects include The Cosmopolitan, located at Denver and Riverside (280 units) and The View at Greenwood (203 units) both have filed building permits and should start here in the spring.

I can't wait to get back to Tulsa and see all these developments. I saw that Jeff Speck recently said he's never seen a city with such great districts that are connected so poorly. I agree. It's going to be interesting to see how Tulsa can continue to bridge the gaps between Brady -> Blue Dome -> 3rd Street - > Pearl Street -> Cherry Street. It reminds me a lot of Bricktown -> Deep Deuce -> Automobile Alley -> Midtown. Except OKC's districts are connected far better.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I can't wait to get back to Tulsa and see all these developments. I saw that Jeff Speck recently said he's never seen a city with such great districts that are connected so poorly. I agree. It's going to be interesting to see how Tulsa can continue to bridge the gaps between Brady -> Blue Dome -> 3rd Street - > Pearl Street -> Cherry Street. It reminds me a lot of Bricktown -> Deep Deuce -> Automobile Alley -> Midtown. Except OKC's districts are connected far better.
    Having a big freaking highway between them doesn't help, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Having a big freaking highway between them doesn't help, that's for sure.
    It helps the region, that's for sure.

Thread Information