Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Development Summary

Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I was thinking this too, but more so to convert all of the one way streets back to two way. DT Tulsa has way too many one way streets and really doesn't need any. It would help it feel much more pedestrian friendly.
    Streets like Cincinnati/Detroit, 1st/2nd and 7th/8th will probably always be one way because of how they connect to the highways. But all other streets should be converted and many have been over the past 10 years. For the remaining ones instead reduce the width of the one-way streets with wide sidewalks, street trees and a dedicated bike lane.

Talks have been ongoing for the PAC parking re-development:

Development Plans Advance For Downtown Tulsa Parking Lot - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Arguably the most forward thinking development proposed for downtown Tulsa right now. To me it showcases that the developers are looking strictly towards the future with this project and playing on the sentiment that downtown Tulsa is still a hot bed waiting to emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    As has been noted by many, Tulsa’s energy sector has been shrinking for decades and the metro should be largely shielded from huge impacts by the collapse of oil prices. Anyway, much of Tulsa’s energy sector is more focused on pipelines and natural gas. Tulsa unemployment rate spiked a little bit early in 2015 but is now back down to 4.3% and falling.

The bigger danger to me economically is the crapstorm at the capital and the billion dollar deficit impacting schools and infrastructure. Mary Fallin has completely failed in her duties to the people and the impact of that on medium and long term on growth could be very bad. That's going to hurt both Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City could get a bad double whammy with what looks like will be serious state furloughs and layoffs next fiscal year.
    Fallin and her hillbilly FFF regime are going to be regarded as the worst bout of leadership since Alfalfa Bill Murray. Really wish Brad Henry or a Boren would find a middle of the road leader that can clean this up before the entire state is a broke-ass brownfield. There's the double whammy that you presuppose OKC will get, which I'd expect could be a triple whammy bc the State Govt hicks view OKC's success (byproducts of its own investments) as something they did. You have idiots like Hickman from Fairview who find ways to screw OKC bc they're angry that Canton Lake water is ours. State politics is such that our diverse inner cities like OKC and non-Midtown Tulsa have been rendered voiceless, not unlike Flint, MI.

4. Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

that would be one hell of a downtown grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Talks have been ongoing for the PAC parking re-development:

Development Plans Advance For Downtown Tulsa Parking Lot - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Arguably the most forward thinking development proposed for downtown Tulsa right now. To me it showcases that the developers are looking strictly towards the future with this project and playing on the sentiment that downtown Tulsa is still a hot bed waiting to emerge.
    I think this is easily the biggest, most exciting urban development in the state right now. If Tulsa can support something like this, I wonder why something similar couldn't happen in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    that would be one hell of a downtown grocery store.
    I thought the same thing. The footprint will be roughly 3/4 the size of the store at 15th & Lewis.

I interned a summer in Manhattan. While i was there my co-workers would always ask how I liked the city and how I was getting along. At some point groceries came up and I mentioned that I had been going to this place called Food Emporium and that it was more than just a corner shop but close enough I didn't have to lug groceries more than 4 blocks. Their response was priceless. "Is that like the biggest grocery store you've ever been in?"

You decide.

https://goo.gl/maps/7nKHusgZa272

It couldn't have been any larger than a Walgreens/CVS with twice as many isles (cause they were crammed in there). Unique at the time in my opinion was that it had a hot food bar (in addition to a salad bar). Convenient for people wanting to grab a quick lunch. Buffet's there were a huge thing, but always closed after lunch. Everybody is in such a dang hurry.

Perspective is everything isn't it.

I would love a Reasor's in downtown OKC. I would love a 12 story apartment/loft building. I would love for Fallin not to be in office. I know...I know...it'll never happen and its just a pipe dream. I still have wishes though!

8. Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Is CityPlex still pretty empty or has it filled in? I heard there were some major renovations going on in at least part of the campus to bring it out of the dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Is CityPlex still pretty empty or has it filled in? I heard there were some major renovations going on in at least part of the campus to bring it out of the dumps.
    I'm fairly certain they finished a couple years ago. It definitely looks cleaner up close (however you want to interpret that) and a touch more "modern" with the blue glass along the sides. I think I took a pic from a distance in one of the previous pages where I provided a few updates around town.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I don’t think it’s close to full but there are a lot of companies in there. Citiplex is huge, something like a million and a half square feet. It’s larger than Woodland Hills Mall. There’s a hospital in there, Sprint, CFS. There are apartments and an event space on the top floors of the tallest tower. I drive by it every day and there are always lots of cars in the lot.

My company looked at moving there last year, but even with the renovations it’s not as nice a space as we wanted. I haven’t been inside in several years so I don’t know what the interior is like now, but the exterior is better. The renovations aren't done either. They are still working on the exterior. It takes awhile to redo a 60, 30 and 20 story building complex.

The problem with CityPlex is that it was a 1980's era hospital. So the floor heights are ridiculously short for modern office space. They have made some nice recent improvements and the long range plan is replace all of the gold rainscreen panels and install new glazing to match what they have done to the corners. The same glazing contractor that is doing the River Spirit hotel told me they have priced a couple options but were unclear on the exact timeline. That would definitely be a big change.

My company looked at moving there last year, but even with the renovations it’s not as nice a space as we wanted. I haven’t been inside in several years so I don’t know what the interior is like now, but the exterior is better. The renovations aren't done either. They are still working on the exterior. It takes awhile to redo a 60, 30 and 20 story building complex.
    Ah, ok. I thought they had completed the exterior but were working on the interior now, so it seems it's reverse from what I thought. Because last I heard they had completed or were close to completing one of the phases a year or two ago (I thought). Unless they're still working on some parts on the inside of the towers as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The problem with CityPlex is that it was a 1980's era hospital. So the floor heights are ridiculously short for modern office space. They have made some nice recent improvements and the long range plan is replace all of the gold rainscreen panels and install new glazing to match what they have done to the corners. The same glazing contractor that is doing the River Spirit hotel told me they have priced a couple options but were unclear on the exact timeline. That would definitely be a big change.
    Only one of the towers was a hospital, I think it's the 20 story one. The main 60 story tower was meant to be a medical office building and the third was ORU's medical school. The ceilings are low that's how there are 60 floors in a building 60 feet shorter than the BOK Tower with 52 floors.

To me main problem with the complex is that it was built by ORU. It's gaudy and ugly and was built on the cheap. The elevators are an experience. They knock against the walls of the shaft if you are going to an upper floors. it's disconcerting to the point that the last time I was in there they had bolted notices to the walls of the elevators that they had been inspected and are safe and nothing is wrong with them. And I'm not talking about a city inspection notice, these were big permanent plastic signs. I used to work in the 41 story First Place Tower and my wife used to work in the BOK Tower and their elevators are nothing like what is in Citiplex.

These problems are fixable, replacing the glass is going to make a huge difference.

Thumbs down Re: Tulsa Development Summary

And of course now it appears that the Oklahoma legislature, in its infinite (or infantile, I can decide just yet) wisdom has decided to introduce a bill (SB977) to put a moratorium on historic tax credits. This will make some of these new developments moot as alot of the financing on these would have been contingent on the credits.

SMFH.

With Tax Credit In Jeopardy, So Are Oklahoma Historic Renovation - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Blog Entries

Downtown is getting a book store. Magic City Books is being opened as a non-profit book store run by the Tulsa Literary Coalition with the support of the Kaiser Foundation. The building is at Archer and Cincinnati in the Brady District and has 69,000 square feet of space and is a full block long. Renovation is starting soon and the store should open in late 2016 or early 2017.

https://www.facebook.com/tulsalitco
    http://tulsalitco.org/
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/arts...5570336f6.html

Blog Entries

Downtown is getting a book store. Magic City Books is being opened as a non-profit book store run by the Tulsa Literary Coalition with the support of the Kaiser Foundation. The building is at Archer and Cincinnati in the Brady District and has 69,000 square feet of space and is a full block long. Renovation is starting soon and the store should open in late 2016 or early 2017.

https://www.facebook.com/tulsalitco
    Tulsa Literary Coalition | Welcome
    New coalition to open Brady district book store - Tulsa World: Arts And Entertainment
    KOTV has more information on this project, it's a $30 million warehouse conversion to mixed use.

TULSA, Oklahoma -
    At almost 100 years young, another one of Tulsa’s historic buildings will get a new life thanks to a major renovation set to begin next month.
    An old warehouse in the heart of the Brady Arts District has sat empty for years. The 72,000 square foot building might not look like much now, but the George Kaiser Family Foundation has big plans for the space.
    One of the first tenants announced is a bookstore, but that is just the beginning.
    Built in the 1920s, the Archer Building has strong bones, but is in need of a fix-up. The original tin tiles line the walls and the old warehouse doors help tell its story.
    But in March, The George Kaiser Family Foundation will start writing the new chapter - a $30 million renovation that will include 35 artist studios and 14 apartments for those involved with the Tulsa Artist Fellowship.
    On the bottom floor, up to ten new restaurants and businesses - one of which will be Magic City Books, supported by the Tulsa Literary Coalition.
    Board President Jeff Martin gave News On 6 a tour and history lesson on the ‘Magic City’ term; apparently coined by President Teddy Roosevelt after you could get rich from oil here - like magic.
    "We wanted to enforce that our magic time is not over, it is right now, and what is in the future," Martin said.
    Novels will line the walls and there will be event space for things like book clubs.
    Martin said, “It’s hard to imagine 'cause its raw right now, but when it comes together it will be beautiful, and special and super cozy like a favorite book store should be.”
    And once you're done reading your books, maybe you'll be in the market for a unique vinyl. Holy Mountain records will be moving from 11th Street into the Brady District.
    Owner Jay Hancock called the opportunity to pair with GKFF, mind blowing, and, at first, hard to believe.
    "We're just little guys. There is no way this is going to come to fruition," he said.
    But it is, and Hancock said not much will change as far as the shop is concerned - except the premiere location in the heart of the Brady Arts District.
    Glacier Chocolates will also be opening a second location called the City of Chocolate. It will have everything from the bean to the final product and around 7000 square feet of an educational component.
    Kaiser Foundation Plans $30M Renovation For Brady District Build - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

HangryHippo Guest

Sounds like an amazing project and good for Tulsa! I wish like hell OKC had a George Kaiser.

Blog Entries

The Meridia is now under construction. It's the conversion of the existing Enterprise Building into apartments. There will be 70 apartments and 9100 square feet of retail space. The apartments should start to be available this fall.
    Existing Building:

Rendering of completed building:

That is f@cking awesome! How much money are they pouring into this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That is f@cking awesome! How much money are they pouring into this?

It's a $14 million project that also was approved for state tax credits late last year.

Swake, or any other Tulsan on here, the Vision proposals will be broken up into three separate proposals that can be voted on from what I read yesterday. However, that doesn't explain why there's still the sentiment that the entire package needs to be tossed out.

Package 1 - Police/Fire
    Package 2 - Infrastructure
    Package 3 - River/Toys/Pet Projects

Looking to clear this up and help my understanding.

Blog Entries

Swake, or any other Tulsan on here, the Vision proposals will be broken up into three separate proposals that can be voted on from what I read yesterday. However, that doesn't explain why there's still the sentiment that the entire package needs to be tossed out.

Package 1 - Police/Fire
    Package 2 - Infrastructure
    Package 3 - River/Toys/Pet Projects

Looking to clear this up and help my understanding.

Whose sentiment is that? My guess is this all passes pretty easily.

Whose sentiment is that? My guess is this all passes pretty easily.
    While it perhaps isn't the best measuring stick, literally every news story I've gone to contains majority negative comments. By far most comments I've seen people are upset about the amount of money going towards the dams.

Blog Entries

While it perhaps isn't the best measuring stick, literally every news story I've gone to contains majority negative comments. By far most comments I've seen people are upset about the amount of money going towards the dams.
    So the Tulsa World comments section is what you are going by? That's a collection of a couple of dozen trolls most of whom don't even live in Tulsa.

But then neither do I, I don't get to vote on anything except the dams. From what I hear the one that may be in trouble is the Public Safety portion.

So the Tulsa World comments section is what you are going by? That's a collection of a couple of dozen trolls most of whom don't even live in Tulsa.

But then neither do I, I don't get to vote on anything except the dams. From what I hear the one that may be in trouble is the Public Safety portion.
    TW, Newson6, and one or two others I've come across.
    Again, not saying my terminology is correct but what I've read and heard is what I've read and heard.

But that's interesting, thanks for following up. I hadn't heard much else.

Thread Information