Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Development Summary

Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

I'm making a development map for Tulsa like the one for OKC on Google Maps. I haven't added anything yet, but I'm working on it right now.

Here is the link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...og&usp=sharing

Next weekend I may be able to have some time to go get some pics of the Margartiaville hotel.
    It's beautiful and sits really well right off the river. And you can see it from many vantage points in South and West Tulsa.

I'll try to get over there and keep everyone updated. It really deserves fresh updates so everyone can see what it's about.

If anyone missed this slideshow, there really are a lot of great projects going on in downtown Tulsa: 19 downtown development projects you should know about

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Next weekend I may be able to have some time to go get some pics of the Margartiaville hotel.
    It's beautiful and sits really well right off the river. And you can see it from many vantage points in South and West Tulsa.

I'll try to get over there and keep everyone updated. It really deserves fresh updates so everyone can see what it's about.
    By the way, I haven't forgotten. I'm actually trying to plan some time to take a few other pics around town so the folks in OKC can see what's been going on up the turnpike. Tulsa certainly hasn't been as idle as some may think.

I was just there. The River Spirit hotel is really making a big visual impact in south Tulsa. Especially next to the river which has been way up with the recent rains.

Everything new downtown is certainly impressive but still so many holes to fill. Projects like the Santa Fe Square if it gets off the ground will improve that creating more of a cohesive district. Brady is probably the most complete urban district right now but the Blue Dome/East End could eventually surpass it.

Tulsa's strength has always been in its midtown neighborhoods and commercial districts like Brookside, Cherry St and Utica Square. These areas all seem to be doing well and continuing to develop with the exception of Utica Sq which is still very nice but is starting to appear outdated and in need of a makeover.

Riverside was shut down while they are working on the Gathering Place park. From everything I've seen that will be a very nice addition to midtown and the riverfront.

Blog Entries

Not in downtown, but right across the IDL in the Pearl District:
    New Housing Options Coming To Budding Tulsa District - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

TULSA, Oklahoma - The latest phase of construction set to begin near downtown Tulsa will offer housing options that aren't “the norm" for the area.
    The property sits just beyond the downtown Tulsa limits. It’s been a development project 15 years in the making, with 110 lots in total steadily developed since the early 2000s.

Some still sit empty, but the Village At Central Park is expanding to capacity - with 50 to 60 new condo and townhouse units slated for construction to begin in February, many of them are already purchased.

“With all the discussion of the resurgence of downtown we are now seeing that development happening, and it's happening beautifully and a way everyone wanted it to,” said Stephen Meltzer, with Village At Central Park.

But what makes these different is they aren't downtown; instead, they are just outside - near the Pearl District - for those who aren't ready to jump into downtown living just yet.

Meltzer said, “As those people feel more comfortable downtown they like it and they decide to buy, and right now there’s not a lot on the market at any price to purchase.”

The units will range from the high $100,000 to $400,000 apiece - gearing mainly towards empty nesters who don't want the size of a south Tulsa home but still that neighborhood feel.

“Beginning to realize they can live simply - lower maintenance, less taxes,” Meltzer said.

It also puts them just feet from one of the fastest growing districts in Tulsa. After all, there is only so much room inside the parameters of what is referred to as downtown, so, many developers predict new options like this will most likely be the next trend in housing.

“Every city is going to run out of room, it’s just new to Tulsa,” said Meltzer.

There are also a number of commercial lots for lease or sale in the area, providing the potential for commercial development in the area.

My parents have lived in the Village at Central Park for around a decade. It's a good development that only helps that area, but it is very similar to The Hill in that it feels like a suburban neighborhood in a sense. The streets certainly feel like they are in a private neighborhood. Also, the Pearl District has a neat start with The Phoenix, the art bar, the Mediterranean restaurant, and the boxing gym, but there doesn't seem to be much else happening there. The article seems to oversell it's development unless I just don't know about coming projects. I thought this district would take off quicker, but it has some nice potential.

Alright, at long last we have just a few updates to provide for Tulsa.
    Couple disclaimers:

It was about 5 degrees outside with the wind chill factored in. My camera wasn't reacting well to this fact and was acting a little slow. So, I did not get an obscene amount of pictures, I pretty much got what I thought was necessary.

Also, I did not do any pre-homework before I went out, so there are several projects that I missed as I was pretty much just doing a little driving and if I could pull off to the side and get out, I would. The following pictures are by no means the entire scope of what's going on, only the projects I was able to get to today and felt needed a visual update.

The first four were at 3rd and Greenwood. These are the Urban8 or Hartford Commons, forgive me as I'm going off the top of my head. Please anyone correct me where I'm wrong. The fourth picture is to show the proximity and view of downtown Tulsa, for reference.

DSCN0016.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0014.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

Here we start a couple blocks North at 1st and Greenwood, with another skyline shot to show the view. This has been one of the earliest projects and will house an Engineering firm, if I recall. Hogan Assessments, I believe. This will be their $15 million HQ, and it's a very beautiful building.

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

Here was one of the first projects in Greenwood. It hosts a couple bars/restaurants down on the bottom and the rest are apartments/condos, I believe. I didn't even get the name of this building and have long forgotten what it was called.

DSCN0023.JPG

Here I went to the BOK Center, took a quick picture just for kicks and it looked neat with the Sun shining on the glass. And immediately across the street is Tulsa's newest addition to the skyline, OnePlace. This is the building for those wondering that many locals believe was a missed opportunity design wise, height wise, etc. etc. It pretty much turned out to be a tan box more akin to a hospital. Attached is the five floor Northwestern Mutual building that has been trying to fill out with various retailers and eateries, but I think right now there's only the one in the bottom corner.
    The two pictures following don't show much, as I said above, it was cold and starting to get a little busy so I took a couple shots from the distance. But this is literally in the lot right next to OnePlace and will be home to a new 10 story hotel being developed by the Patel brothers, if I'm not mistaken. It's going to be a nice dense block when it's done, but will block most of the views of the skyline if you're at the BOK, I think.

DSCN0024.JPG

DSCN0025.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0027.JPG

Here is the Margaritaville Resort Hotel. I really wanted to get a couple shots from a couple vantage points around town to show the scale and it's impact, but I apologize as I could not find a safe enough place (traffic speaking) to do so. I'm not sure if this is topped out or not. I believe it's to be either 27 or 29 floors. In the pictures, I think I estimated it's at around 25~ floors right now, so I don't think it's topped out just yet.

Additionally, they are building a new concert venue which you can just see in front, but they are also building large corridors to connect the existing facility to this new resort on both sides. To show the exact scale would have required getting out and actually being able to get on the other side of the fences. Unfortunately, my pictures do not successfully showcase just how large this expansion is.

I really feel like this new resort is going to bring in lots of money to Tulsa. I can see many people from Kansas, Arkansas, and even SW Missouri staying at this place for a weekend once it's completed.

DSCN0028.JPG

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0032.JPG

DSCN0034.JPG

DSCN0035.JPG

DSCN0036.JPG

And then of course the last few are of FlyingTee that's going to essentially be TopGolf Lite right across the river in Jenks at the RiverWalk. You can see the nets. The structure is already up and they're still in the process of putting up the facade and walls. But by this time my passenger and I were ready to go home, so I didn't get any better shots. I also threw in the Cityplex Towers that are right in the area as well to show the presence of height in South Tulsa.

Not a whole lot, but I tried to get some of the projects that needed a visual guide to go by.
    Hope everyone enjoys for now!

Tulsa really needs to get a program like P180 for its downtown streets. I have caught myself running red lights there all the time because they are hard to see in a lot of cases.

They need to synchronize the lights downtown better also. I catch pretty much every single light when I drive there.

Great list! Thanks for taking the time to take all the photos! It's nice too see all the stuff happening in Downtown Tulsa right now. P.S. I think the apartments in Greenwood are called "GreenArch" but I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    They need to synchronize the lights downtown better also. I catch pretty much every single light when I drive there.

Great list! Thanks for taking the time to take all the photos! It's nice too see all the stuff happening in Downtown Tulsa right now. P.S. I think the apartments in Greenwood are called "GreenArch" but I could be wrong.
    The speed limit downtown is 20 mph. The lights are timed so that if you go between 20 and 22 mph you will never hit a red light. If you go 25 mph or faster, you will hit every light.

15. Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    The speed limit downtown is 20 mph. The lights are timed so that if you go between 20 and 22 mph you will never hit a red light. If you go 25 mph or faster, you will hit every light.
    no. way. in. hell. is this accurate. when i take boston, main, or any other street north as SOON as my light turns green the next light turns yellow. Happens quite often.

Growing up in Tulsa, I remember being told that if you drive 18 mph (I think) downtown that you'll make all the lights without stopping. Every time I've tried it over the years it has worked.

I think Swake is correct with little debate.
    Let everyone else accelerate and waste their gas and by the time you catch up, they're coming to a stop and the light goes green. It's always worked best for me going under 25 mph I can say for certain.

Edit:
    But, now that I think about it, sooner fan does bring something up that I've experienced as well, so maybe they were out of sync or something. But I can recall a few times when my light turns green and the next light immediately ahead is turning yellow.

Blog Entries

I think Swake is correct with little debate.
    Let everyone else accelerate and waste their gas and by the time you catch up, they're coming to a stop and the light goes green. It's always worked best for me going under 25 mph I can say for certain.

Edit:
    But, now that I think about it, sooner fan does bring something up that I've experienced as well, so maybe they were out of sync or something. But I can recall a few times when my light turns green and the next light immediately ahead is turning yellow.
    It worked for me last night when I was downtown to ice skate at Winterfest.

I also wanted to make note of the Brady District. Tulsa really has a gem with it. The Brady feels very organically fleshed out and everything is a compliment. It's definitely a district in it's own right and you can immediately feel it when you enter its borders. Everything about it feels natural and I hope it keeps filling out and expanding with more housing and apartment units at a decent pace in the future.

This was posted before, but there's a little bit of updated information and something that I think everyone will find interesting being in an Oil & Gas dominated state:

By Robert Evatt

If all goes to plan, The Gathering Place won’t be the only major new addition to Riverside Drive by the end of 2017.

The Cosmopolitan, a four-story, 262-unit luxury apartment complex, is scheduled to begin construction this summer at Denver Avenue and Riverside Drive, said John Gilbert, president of Houston, Texas-based Bomasada Group.

That would allow the first tenants to move in at roughly the same time the massive park development wraps up just a few blocks south.

Gilbert said the timing wasn’t something specifically planned, although he’s glad it worked out.

“It’s a good coincidence,” he said.

The Cosmopolitan will be the second Tulsa development for Bomasada. Their first was The Enclave at Brookside, a 240-unit, $33 million development along 41st Street just east of Peoria Avenue. Shortly after it was finished in 2014, it was sold to Seattle-based Weidner Apartment Homes for $42 million, a record-breaking per-unit price for a Tulsa-area apartment sale.

Gilbert said he couldn’t yet provide an estimated construction price for The Cosmopolitan, as architectural details are still being firmed up...

“The cherry on the sundae will be The Gathering Place nearby,” he said. “That’ll be a fabulous addition to the city of Tulsa.”

Glibert said he and his company are bullish on Tulsa development, even as energy prices look to remain low in the near future.

“Certainly, we are concerned about the current oil slump as it affects all aspects of the economy,” he said “However, we feel Tulsa’s economy is better balanced than most U.S. economies.

“As a matter of fact, 85 percent of the nearly 45,000 people employed in Tulsa’s largest employers within a five mile radius of The Cosmopolitan are in nonenergy-related industries.”
    The Cosmopolitan poised to add luxury apartments to Riverside - Tulsa World: Real Estate

Rendering in the link.

I liked the original rendering better for that Riverside apartment development. I wish they could incorporate retail at that corner.

HangryHippo Guest

I preferred the original one as well.

Blog Entries

This was posted before, but there's a little bit of updated information and something that I think everyone will find interesting being in an Oil & Gas dominated state:

The Cosmopolitan poised to add luxury apartments to Riverside - Tulsa World: Real Estate

Rendering in the link.
    As has been noted by many, Tulsa’s energy sector has been shrinking for decades and the metro should be largely shielded from huge impacts by the collapse of oil prices. Anyway, much of Tulsa’s energy sector is more focused on pipelines and natural gas. Tulsa unemployment rate spiked a little bit early in 2015 but is now back down to 4.3% and falling.

The bigger danger to me economically is the crapstorm at the capital and the billion dollar deficit impacting schools and infrastructure. Mary Fallin has completely failed in her duties to the people and the impact of that on medium and long term on growth could be very bad. That's going to hurt both Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City could get a bad double whammy with what looks like will be serious state furloughs and layoffs next fiscal year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    I preferred the original one as well.
    So did I. I'm not a fan of what they built in Brookside either.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Tulsa really needs to get a program like P180 for its downtown streets. I have caught myself running red lights there all the time because they are hard to see in a lot of cases.
    I was thinking this too, but more so to convert all of the one way streets back to two way. DT Tulsa has way too many one way streets and really doesn't need any. It would help it feel much more pedestrian friendly.

Thread Information