Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Development Summary

Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Go Tulsa!

Looks likes the development pace is really starting to pick up and that's fantastic, especially considering the recent dip in price of oil.

Am I the only one that thinks the shipping container building looks awful and is simply following a lame fad? OKSea looks interesting, but it's smaller and actually designed with some unusual geometry that makes it slightly impressive. This is just a cheap replication of a small strip mall, with blank walls surrounding it. I just don't see the advantage to building this vs. a real building except that it's a current fad.
    I'll bet once freshness wears off this thing will truly look terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of development in downtown Tulsa, but I've been noticing lately that we're getting more and more underbaked versions of things OKC has, which are often themselves less fancy versions of things world-class cities have done.

The Santa Fe Square development, on the other hand, is exceptional and something I'm truly excited for.

I've been told by developers and architects that using shipping containers does not result in any cost savings over traditional construction.

The main advantage is that they can be easily relocated.

So, in the case of OKSea, the project will likely be there for less than 10 years, then can be moved elsewhere.

Not sure of the long-term plans for this Tulsa site. Could be they just like the look and feel of containers and this may be a move permanent installation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The site is an empty lot next to Soundpony and very close to The Cains. The worry is about noise complaints. I'm not sure what to think about that, I certainly can see that being an issue. I think the idea that this building has no retail and just a garage on ground level being a problem is overblown, it's not that big a project and the current site is just a lot.

Blog Entries

People are also taking issue with REI's development going into Riverparks at 71st and Riverside. It's being built in Riverparks but mostly ignores the river and creates a huge parking lot in the park. REI is the 27,000 square ft structure labeled "Riverfront Sports".

Eh... I can see why so many are opposed to a giant surface parking lot right off the river.
    The parks have done their best with what they have to keep available parking minimal. And while at many times this is a nuisance for those who have to drive there, it does in fact help keep the area green.
    Now, I guess the only "positive" out of the proposal renderings above is that the parking will be for a restaurant plus additional retail. So it's not as if one single entity will be commanding that much parking.

This will become a popular parking destination given the location, much like Bass Pro or Harkins in Bricktown.
    I wonder if they will mark parking as for "official" REI/restaurant use only?

Will be interested to see what becomes of this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    People are also taking issue with REI's development going into Riverparks at 71st and Riverside. It's being built in Riverparks but mostly ignores the river and creates a huge parking lot in the park. REI is the 27,000 square ft structure labeled "Riverfront Sports".

One of Tulsa's city councilors posted on TulsaNow that this development is a done deal as is and there's nothing the council can do about since the plan adheres to current zoning. The mayor and developer are not receptive to changes and the developer is actually going to forgo an available TIF because that would allow council oversight and input.

The guy who has ran Tulsa forever is one of its biggest problems. Bartlett would only be competitive in James Greiner's ward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The guy who has ran Tulsa forever is one of its biggest problems. Bartlett would only be competitive in James Greiner's ward.
    Dewey has been mayor for less than six years so forever is a large overstatement, but he does suck donkey balls.

Dewey has been mayor for less than six years so forever is a large overstatement, but he does suck donkey balls.
    Tulsa, as evidenced by this thread, has a good amount of new and planned development especially in the urban core. And this is with an ineffective mayor and overall poor city leadership, low population growth, lack of a major state university and the depressed energy economy. Fix a couple or all of those and the city will boom. .

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Tulsa, as evidenced by this thread, has a good amount of new and planned development especially in the urban core. And this is with an ineffective mayor and overall poor city leadership, low population growth, lack of a major state university and the depressed energy economy. Fix a couple or all of those and the city will boom. .
    This is very well put. I'm just annoyed by these last few years, because if Tulsa could get its act together it will be exciting to watch.

Swake - six years is two terms. That's half as many terms as Cornett, who has been mayor foreverever.

Blog Entries

The Coliseum Apartments are nearing completion and have started leasing.

The Hampton Inn at Place One across the street from The BOK Center is now starting construction.

TulsaWorld put together a slideshow of the current and planned developments in downtown Tulsa. Some include renderings, other slides are just brief descriptions of what's expected.

The neat thing is that from what I saw, these are all pretty much green lit, I think some are just waiting on additional funding, permits, etc. before they begin later this year or early next. Will be super impressive for Tulsa if all of these do indeed come to fruition as planned. Lots of infill, lots of hotels, which means the probability of more events in the future, which in turn pumps money into the local economy.

14 downtown development projects you should know about

Blog Entries

The Ross Group, a Tulsa based development and construction company, is now taking part in the long, long delayed 1st Street Lofts project. Construction should resume soon and be completed within 15 months.

After nine years, 1st Street Lofts see rapid completion - KJRH.com

Blog Entries

The Ross Group is also building the Hampton Inn and Suites that is starting construction and they also are currently converting the former International Harvester building in the East Village downtown right next to Urban 8 and The Edge at East Village developments into a new corporate headquarters for themselves.

Blog Entries

New details on the The View development from American Residential that is supposed to start construction later this summer. American Residential owns the Tribune Building and built the Metro at Brady and is currently building The Edge at East Village.

The View will be across the street from Oneok Field and has 5 and 6 story buildings with 200 apartments, ground floor retail and a 5 story parking garage. The look is very similar to The Metro which is just a couple of blocks west down Archer Street.

Blog Entries

Bomasada Group’s new apartments on Riverside are now called The Cosmopolitan. It will include 280 apartments with structured parking at Riverside and Denver Ave. The project is going before the planning commission next week.

Blog Entries

Here's an image of the hotel:

The Ross Group is also building the Hampton Inn and Suites that is starting construction and they also are currently converting the former International Harvester building in the East Village downtown right next to Urban 8 and The Edge at East Village developments into a new corporate headquarters for themselves.

With the Hampton Inn going in what is planned for the remaining parking lot at One Place, the one directly across from the BOK Center? I seem to remember they were targeting residential but haven't heard anything announced.

Also in that area the Central Library is finishing up this summer a $53 million renovation that has been ongoing for a couple years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    With the Hampton Inn going in what is planned for the remaining parking lot at One Place, the one directly across from the BOK Center? I seem to remember they were targeting residential but haven't heard anything announced.

Also in that area the Central Library is finishing up this summer a $53 million renovation that has been ongoing for a couple years.
    Yes, that's the location. They were supposed to have some residential as well, I have no idea why they couldn't get it done with the parking garage already in place and residential going in all over the place.

Blog Entries

Berkshire Hathaway finalizing plans for Excalibur Building.

53 apartments with retail on the ground floor

Warren Buffett plans apartments, renovations for downtown... | www.fox23.com

Here's an image of the hotel:
    Excellent, won't look that bad at all. And I'm happy it's taking the place of surface parking.

Yes, that's the location. They were supposed to have some residential as well, I have no idea why they couldn't get it done with the parking garage already in place and residential going in all over the place.
    Do we happen to know the vacancy rate of OnePlace, both the Cimarex tower as well as the five story attachment where Northwestern Mutual is? Because the times I've driven by or gone to an event at the BOK, there are a couple floors still being worked on. Not sure if they've been completed and leased at this point, though.

I imagine once that building is at 100% occupancy (if it's not already, in which case maybe we'll hear something sooner than later?), we'll see a suitor come forth with something planned for that parking lot. I didn't know residential had been discussed, that would make for a well rounded area.

Blog Entries

The city council approves the last changes for an REI store to go in on Riverside:

Tulsa City Council approves amendment clearing the way for REI to come to 71st and Riverside - Tulsa World: Business

Blog Entries

There’s a new proposal to dam the Arkansas River in Tulsa, GT Bynum, Tulsa city councilor and head of the river task force is now proposing a smaller $200 million project to replace the dam at 33rd Street and add new dams at 49th Street and 103rd Street. The dams for Sand Springs and Bixby would be a later phase and vote.

http://www.tulsafrontier.com/hyperlo...-dam-proposal/

Thread Information