Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 151617181920

Thread: Tulsa Development Summary

Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    We are growing pretty rapidly. OKC is definitely going faster with much more critical mass, but stuff is going up everywhere in Tulsa right now. This is like the 3rd or 4th major residential complex in the downtown area to be announced recently that hasn't broken ground yet.

There's a 12 story (well, 6 office floors and 6 parking levels) office tower being topped off right now in the blue dome, a major 11 story office tower just being completed in the arts district (former WPX HQ), and then they'll break ground soon on a large apartment building in the blue dome next to the new tower, then a huge new infil lot development that will include a hotel, grocery store, and apartment building in the heart of downtown, and then there's the new 42 story tower plus other things that was announced as part of a RFP process just to the north of downtown that the city is backing. Also don't forget the new car vending machine/hotel/apartment thing on the southside of downtown.

And all that is just in the downtown area. Elsewhere across the metro there are new housing projects going up as fast as they can construct them. Finding labor and materials is basically the only thing hindering our growth rate. I work as a civil engineer in the land development industry and my small office is working on three neighborhood developments ourselves locally. Even outer boroughs like Sapulpa are expanding quickly with tons of new downtown stuff.

But getting back to that new complex that was just announced: wow, what a contrast. The Arrive hotel is beautiful and fits the character of the area so well. The garage is sorely needed and the lower levels look cool. The apartments look like crap. It's like they got to the apartments and ran out of time and went with some god awful 80's concept. I hope that design doesn't stick, but everything else does.
    42 story office tower? Anyone have info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Yeah. It's deader than princess Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Dead would mean that it was at one point alive. The 42 story tower was never realistic as part of this development. I don’t think the current group can even get the Fintube building rehabbed. I still think having OSU take it over for future redevelopment is the best option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Dead would mean that it was at one point alive. The 42 story tower was never realistic as part of this development. I don’t think the current group can even get the Fintube building rehabbed. I still think having OSU take it over for future redevelopment is the best option.
    That is not going to happen. The Greenwood community will have to take part in any development.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The historic rehab is essentially fully funded, its Partner Tulsa that's still the hangup. The tower was never proposed to be a single use - the break down of the uses was pretty reasonable. 100,000 sq ft of office, apartments, and a hotel. A hotel partner has been signed on and ready to go for a while (one that is actively working on a project in OKC too). While the tower will 99.9% likely be smaller in height it's not unreasonable to think that downtown could support 150 ish units, 100-150 room hotel, ground floor retail, and a bit of spec office in a single tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    That is not going to happen. The Greenwood community will have to take part in any development.
    Depends on how the city sets everything up in the future. Partner Tulsa and others want to see that site utilized as an expansion for BMX and a soccer stadium still. The only reason it wasn't is because the community committee had final say. Just happens that one of the main guy's at Partner Tulsa's girlfriend worked for the architecture firm on the stadium team at that time and they would have gotten a pretty nice kickback $$ if he had managed to get their team to win. He was able to get 1 of the 2 other final teams disqualified after trying to do that to both. There's a lot of shady stuff going on within Partner Tulsa. Current and former business partners of his also get some pretty nice deals (Sinclair building & Ross Group for example) with no restrictions on TIF money, while others like Price get less money on projects and affordable requirements slapped on them (Oil Capital Building for example - both with a block of each other yet treated completely different).

If this development fails and doesn't happen it has nothing to do with the developer or team working on the project. Partner Tulsa even recently tried to sabotage the project by releasing that story in the Tulsa World (who retracted a large portion of that story too) saying that capital partners pulled out of the project when that did not happen. One of the team member was kicked off because they were working on side deals with Partner Tulsa that were in direct conflict with what is trying to be done on the site now. Every capital partner that was on the project at the beginning is still on the project except one individual who was essentially a consultant and was not putting in any personal money.

Google maps has updated some of their imagery for the Tulsa area

Redevelopment project in north Tulsa moving forward: https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ci...f40ff563d.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Redevelopment project in north Tulsa moving forward: https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ci...f40ff563d.html
    No its not, did you even read the article? Article states they have stopped negotiations with the original developer. So they are now back to the drawing board. So if anything, its stalled.

Downtown Tulsa was hopping last night. We had tickets to a sold out Lion King at the PAC, the Tulsa Tough races were going on, an outdoor concert after party for the races, Greenwood appeared to have an event going, Drillers were playing, and the indoor football Tulsa Oilers had a game. We ate at Red Light Chicken in the Blue Dome District and there was so much foot traffic. It was just incredible to experience and compare to even just 10 years ago.

11. Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

As someone who was born in Tulsa in the 90's and then ended up in OKC in '19 after many years on the East Coast, it makes me happy to see how both cities have taken great strides in becoming more vibrant cities. Almost night and day compared to what I remember as a kid for either place.

Now, if only we could fulfill my wildest, most unrealistic dream of a Maglev bullet train in between the two so that I could hop in between cities like it was nothing! Don't see it happening, but does make me hope someday to see some more connectivity between the two downtowns, even if it's akin the the current OKC-Dallas train route.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    No its not, did you even read the article? Article states they have stopped negotiations with the original developer. So they are now back to the drawing board. So if anything, its stalled.
    Ah, thanks for the insight. I did skim through the article but I’m not too familiar with Tulsa so I wasn’t even aware this was proposed to begin with.

Fantasy metro system someone drew up for potential Tulsa lines. Would be cool if they could put together a real plan to have a combination commuter rail, elevated LRT, and subterranean HRT when demand warrants: Tulsa Light Rail Proposal https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...7w&usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Fantasy metro system someone drew up for potential Tulsa lines. Would be cool if they could put together a real plan to have a combination commuter rail, elevated LRT, and subterranean HRT when demand warrants: Tulsa Light Rail Proposal https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...7w&usp=sharing
    The only realistic part of this is the Tulsa-BA line which already exists and has been discussed as an LRT corridor for decades. Surprised they showed a line down Riverside to connect downtown Tulsa to Jenks when there is an existing rail line that runs along the west bank of the river that goes right into downtown Jenks.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/32...home-top-story

The Western Supply development from the George Kaiser foundation is moving forward and construction is actually just about to start! 320 affordable units for downtown will make a difference. As I pointed out earlier, there's another big development just to the south of this with a parking garage, 80-some apartment units, and an Arrive Hotel. There's also at least two major apartment conversions under construction in the heart of downtown. Overall we'll see over 500 units added to downtown by early next year. There's a couple other projects that might be kicked off or announced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/32...home-top-story

The Western Supply development from the George Kaiser foundation is moving forward and construction is actually just about to start! 320 affordable units for downtown will make a difference. As I pointed out earlier, there's another big development just to the south of this with a parking garage, 80-some apartment units, and an Arrive Hotel. There's also at least two major apartment conversions under construction in the heart of downtown. Overall we'll see over 500 units added to downtown by early next year. There's a couple other projects that might be kicked off or announced as well.
    If only the Annex apartment highrise and grocery store can get kicked off too - that is the biggest hole to fill downtown. The other projects currently under construction are Santa Fe Crossing (168 units), Arco Lofts (80 units) and Sinclair Lofts (60 units). So that would be an additional 580 units on top of the 308 units delivering in 2024. There are also 88 units planned near Western Supply at Pivot's mixed-use development. 250 units delivered in 2022 (The View and 111 Greenwood) with overall downtown apartment occupancy above 90%. With the current round of DDRF and housing incentives from the city I would expect to see additional mixed-use/multifamily projects announced this year.

Here is a rendering of Western Supply

This is great! Should insert some life into what’s been a pretty dead area in the Brady. Would love to see something happen with the warehouse across the street.

Those are spectacular. They remind me a lot of the modern brick flats in places like the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, etc, places across northwest Europe. The large windows on red (brown?) brick, the slight angles of the structure with protruding window frames, it really is a fantastic design.

This is the Pivot Project development across the street from Western Supply- 88 apartments, public parking garage and 90 room Arrive Hotel. This supposed to start construction later this year

Thread Information