Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Bars

Default Good Bars

Since I am going to become a Midwest City resident, I have been driving around the area to become familiar with the area. I like to go out for a beer occasionally and currently I go to Louie's, Old Chicago, Fish City, and B. J.'s. I have been to Old Chicago in MWC and I have also been to Old Germany in Choctaw, both pretty nice and they also serve fairly good food. What other options are available in the Mid/Del area? Not limited to there, but also Nicoma Park, and Choctaw? I can handle the smoking if there is good circulation, Old Chicago is a good example. I walked into the American Legion and it almost brought me and my COPD to our knees!
    C. T.

Default Re: Good Bars

I've been away from MWC for many years, but Pelican's (at Air Depot and Reno) used to have a bar . . .
    and I don't ever remember getting a bad meal there.

Mid-Del Re: Good Bars

I can't help you with a bar recommendation, good or bad. I can, however, welcome you to Midwest City!

I haven't lived in MWC in a long time but hell, pick a night and I'll go pub crawling with you!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    I can't help you with a bar recommendation, good or bad. I can, however, welcome you to Midwest City!
    Raymond,
    I have lived in the OKC metro area most of my life and I have never spent any time in the Mid/Del area. The streets are foreign to me so it's going to be quite an adjustment for me. I am on a waiting list for an independent living "cottage" in far Northeast Midwest City. I'm at the top of the list for the next vacancy. I don't mean to sound like a "drunk", but I do enjoy my beer. Mostly at home but since I live alone, I enjoy going out for a couple of beers (my limit when driving) during the day, and having conversations with the bar tender and other folks at the bar.
    I appreciate the "Welcome",
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I haven't lived in MWC in a long time but hell, pick a night and I'll go pub crawling with you!
    Jeepnokc,
    Hey, thanks! When I move, I will have to take you up on that.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Raymond,
    I have lived in the OKC metro area most of my life and I have never spent any time in the Mid/Del area. The streets are foreign to me so it's going to be quite an adjustment for me. I am on a waiting list for an independent living "cottage" in far Northeast Midwest City. I'm at the top of the list for the next vacancy. I don't mean to sound like a "drunk", but I do enjoy my beer. Mostly at home but since I live alone, I enjoy going out for a couple of beers (my limit when driving) during the day, and having conversations with the bar tender and other folks at the bar.
    I appreciate the "Welcome",
    C. T.
    What cross street will you be near?

CT, once you get settled, might be time to learn about Uber and Lyft ride services. Even a couple of beers, especially if combined with certain medications, can cause some folks to need an attorney for something other company at a pub.

What cross street will you be near?
    Jeepnokc,
    Douglas and Reno, but compared to where I am now, almost anything in the Mid/Del "metro area" will be close when I move. I'm a long way from everywhere in my current home.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    CT, once you get settled, might be time to learn about Uber and Lyft ride services. Even a couple of beers, especially if combined with certain medications, can cause some folks to need an attorney for something other company at a pub.
    Kevin,
    I hear you, and as infrequent as I go out for a beer or two, the for hire companies will be a pretty good option, but my doctors don't seem to think there is a problem with a few beers. So one or two (maximum when I'm driving) isn't a problem. The meds I'm on are not anything that would cause a problem. If that were the case, I think they would tell me to stop drinking beer. I normally have several (ok, 4-6) each evening at home when I don't have anyplace to go and the only problem it causes is a few pounds on the gut. As for Uber et al, I'm probably not too many years from using them anyway, due to my age and physical condition. I will hate to give up driving, but I would hate hurting or killing someone (especially me!) because I was too stupid to realize it was time to sell the Mercury. Fortunately, most places, my new place included, provide rides to doctor appointments, grocery and other shopping, and when I want to do my own thing, the Uber type companies will be there for me.
    C. T.

There is a Henry Hudson's about a mile south in the 1800 block of S. Douglas that I have been to and it was decent. There is a sports bar on Main street that I am not familiar with nor can I place it . That neighborhood just north is a little rough but this could also be in the complex next to police station and dr's offices so may be worth finding and checking out. Its called UR Alibi and is at 5502 Main St, MWC

There is a Henry Hudson's about a mile south in the 1800 block of S. Douglas that I have been to and it was decent. There is a sports bar on Main street that I am not familiar with nor can I place it . That neighborhood just north is a little rough but this could also be in the complex next to police station and dr's offices so may be worth finding and checking out. Its called UR Alibi and is at 5502 Main St, MWC
    Jeepnokc,
    Henry Hudson's is 1.5 miles and UR Alibi is 1.1 miles. I have seen Henry Hudson's but Google maps doesn't show UR Alibi, it looks like an empty field. Must be new development. Both of those are walking distance, or possibly even "scooter" distance. Kevin, how about these two? No driving!
    C. T.

13. Default Re: Good Bars

It's actually a very nice Hudson's since it's a converted Interurban (among other eateries over the years). Smoke is going to be harder to avoid in Mid-Del...there aren't a lot of bars that are not gear toward the typical bar group. But there are a LOT of places to eat that have bar areas. Chequer's is a MWC local with a small bar, no smoke. The food is ok, nothing stellar, but it's far from bad. That's on Air Depot, north of 15th.

There are other places like The Landing Zone that are your typical "bar", but I wouldn't call them "nice". And there are the real gems like Booger Reds or heaven help us, the Lilly Pad LOL.

14. Default Re: Good Bars

Landing Zone is not that bad and I hear they have a guy cooking in there now that is turning out some top notch burgers. Haven't made it over there to try one yet but if the pics I have seen do them justice they look pretty darn tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's actually a very nice Hudson's since it's a converted Interurban (among other eateries over the years). Smoke is going to be harder to avoid in Mid-Del...there aren't a lot of bars that are not gear toward the typical bar group. But there are a LOT of places to eat that have bar areas. Chequer's is a MWC local with a small bar, no smoke. The food is ok, nothing stellar, but it's far from bad. That's on Air Depot, north of 15th.

There are other places like The Landing Zone that are your typical "bar", but I wouldn't call them "nice". And there are the real gems like Booger Reds or heaven help us, the Lilly Pad LOL.
    Bombermwc,
    I'm Ok with normal smoking in a well ventilated bar, but the American Legion was really bad. I am a former smoker (see: COPD!) but unlike a lot of ex-smokers, I don't hate the smell of cigarettes, I actually enjoy it in places like Old Chicago. Today or tomorrow I'm going to have to drive over to UR Alibi because as often as I have been over there, I can't figure out how it fits in.
    C. T.

Jeepnokc,
    Is UR Alibi just to the west of Douglas, or is it just West of Sooner? I'm going to find out shortly.
    C. T.

I have never been there but when I googled the address, it looked to be about 1/2 mile east of Douglas Blvd on Main which is north of Reno. It didn't look like Main goes through to Midwest Blvd.

18. Default Re: Good Bars

UR Alibi does not exist.

For some reason Google thinks the businesses located in The Shoppes at Del City are located on Main Street in Midwest City. When in reality the only thing on Main Street in Midwest City is the Moose Lodge.

UR Alibi was supposed to have gone in where Grub is currently located at The Shoppes at Del City on Sooner.

CT, all I can say is this: (a) I've never been to either and (b) you are willing to walk farther for a cold beverage than my chunky monkey self would consider.
    (Doesn't mean I haven't strolled home that far if the cab reserve went to a last round and tip based on my, at times, less than stellar math skills.)

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    UR Alibi does not exist.

For some reason Google thinks the businesses located in The Shoppes at Del City are located on Main Street in Midwest City. When in reality the only thing on Main Street in Midwest City is the Moose Lodge.

UR Alibi was supposed to have gone in where Grub is currently located at The Shoppes at Del City on Sooner.
    That makes sense as I couldn't place it nor did the area seemed familiar to me (I graduated MWC so been over these streets many times)

21. Default Re: Good Bars

That makes sense as I couldn't place it nor did the area seemed familiar to me (I graduated MWC so been over these streets many times)
    Heck I grew up on the east side and I didn't even know MWC had a Main Street until I did a search for Hungry Howie's Pizza one day and it showed it next to the Moose Lodge.

I have never been there but when I googled the address, it looked to be about 1/2 mile east of Douglas Blvd on Main which is north of Reno. It didn't look like Main goes through to Midwest Blvd.
    Jeepnokc,
    Have you been to the pub already? Actually, you are half right about Google maps, it is North of Reno, but it's West of Douglas, near Woodside Drive and I think that's a residential area. OKBBQEA has it right, it's actually in Del City near Sooner. I don't think I will be walking to that one. I will check it out and if I like it, I will return, just not going to walk or ride my scooter.
    C. T.
    p.s. Hope you know I'm kidding about you and the pub. With my fifty years in data processing, you would think I would figure out how to put smiles, frowns et al on a web page, but I just never worry about it, I count on my attitude and general conversations to keep me from making somebody mad. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    CT, all I can say is this: (a) I've never been to either and (b) you are willing to walk farther for a cold beverage than my chunky monkey self would consider.
    (Doesn't mean I haven't strolled home that far if the cab reserve went to a last round and tip based on my, at times, less than stellar math skills.)
    Kevin,
    Keep in mind, I'm retired. My Brit friend Chris lives near eleven pubs, the furthest one is 1.2 miles and I walked to a different one everyday. The closest one was .3 mile from her home. I also wasn't on oxygen at the time, so now it's a little different, but I'm hoping to do more walking when I move over there, it's friendlier to folks that choose to walk than my area is. I have lots of wildlife, vegetation, but the roads aren't safe to walk on. Also, I always have a cold beer at home, but since I live alone, it's nice to stop at a nice place with people and enjoy a cold one or two. I go about once every couple of weeks over here but as close as the places are in Midwest City, I might make it a little more often.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Landing Zone is not that bad and I hear they have a guy cooking in there now that is turning out some top notch burgers. Haven't made it over there to try one yet but if the pics I have seen do them justice they look pretty darn tasty.
    I couldn't imagine eating at the landing zone or consuming anything that wasn't hermetically sealed yet you have sparked my interest. Sounds like a dare.

25. Default Re: Good Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I couldn't imagine eating at the landing zone or consuming anything that wasn't hermetically sealed yet you have sparked my interest. Sounds like a dare.
    I was pretty much the same way.... I don't like eating in smoke filled bars either. But I've heard nothing but good things about these burgers.

Thread Information