Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: West Village

Default Re: Hall Capital

Steve seems to be emphasizing that the residential and retail components of this project aren't a done deal and that it may not happen. Pete, is that something you would agree with?

It's just a conceptual plan right now.

Nothing is done until it's done; and even then it's not necessarily done.

I'm sure there will be a big TIF ask as a part of this.

How confident are you that the Residences at 21c will actually materialize? This is one of those projects that I am super excited about and that really ups the standard in OKC and am going to be extremely disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I think it's going to happen and be very similar to what has been proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    How confident are you that the Residences at 21c will actually materialize? This is one of those projects that I am super excited about and that really ups the standard in OKC and am going to be extremely disappointed if it doesn't happen.
    Something tells me you secretly want it to fall through just so you can complain about how this always happens in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Something tells me you secretly want it to fall through just so you can complain about how this always happens in OKC.
    That's ridiculous. I really want this to happen because its a first-rate project and will completely change Film Row.

Just drove by and most of the metal buildings between the sets of buildings being saved on Sheridan are torn down.

Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sorry, I may have mis-stated.

The buildings in green are the only ones that were ever going to stay:

I'm upset about this because by the rendering for Building C, it looks like they are salvaging the facade of the western most buildings.

OKCTalk - Detailed plans revealed for Residences at 21c on Film Row

9. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

I noticed that they have torn down the building across the street from 21C. Small buildings on Main just east of Classen

10. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I noticed that they have torn down the building across the street from 21C. Small buildings on Main just east of Classen
    Yep.... Started taking them down yesterday.... That corner is going to look strange after looking at it for the last 20 years.

11. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

I can't find the property record to corroborate, but I've always assumed that the little two story building was territorial (pre-statehood) or at least close to, owing to the dentil molding along the parapet and the window openings on the second floor. It shows to be 913 W Main based on the picture. It is covered with EIFS, but there is probably an intact brick facade underneath. I'm all for higher and better use, and would support its demo for a great building that supports the 21c renovation, but it is still a shame that it could not have been worked into the overall design, retained and renovated to HP standards.

12. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I'm upset about this because by the rendering for Building C, it looks like they are salvaging the facade of the western most buildings.

OKCTalk - Detailed plans revealed for Residences at 21c on Film Row
    It does show that, however that does not mean that the original structures themselves are retained... only the facades of those structures. Thus, the buildings themselves will indeed be torn down and would cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    It does show that, however that does not mean that the original structures themselves are retained... only the facades of those structures. Thus, the buildings themselves will indeed be torn down and would cease to exist.
    I know that. I was just saying I am disappointed because it looked like they were keeping the buildings and building around them.

14. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Snapped this pic from the McDonalds parking lot last night.... The buildings were still standing when I had driven by in the AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	11078

Did they also demolish the two small buildings where they plan to salvage the facades?

16. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

I believe that rubble you see in the picture may have been those two buildings.... They did strip all the brick from the front of the buildings and stacked it up on pallets.

17. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Big ugly yellowish metal building on the SW corner was down this morning as I came to work.... My day view for the last 20+ years sure has changed a lot recently.... for the better!

Default Re: Residences at 21c

Here is a photo from https://twitter.com/dtOKCbuilds:

Some new renderings of Building C.

One thing I hadn't noticed until now is that the facades of the two old buildings that will be re-assembled along the Sheridan side of the parking garage will be quite a bit further west than their original location.

It begs the question: Is it really meaningful to completely destroy a building, then try to reassemble the facades in a different location in which they stood?

Also, the north and west exposures of that parking garage are going to be very visible along Classen and apart from the large poster, are going to be pretty blank and look very much like a concrete parking garage.

It'll be nice never seeing that yellow loading dock building again. There was something about that building that I just didn't like. Maybe because I'm from the rust belt and it reminded me of home lol

I do like that the dog park will potentially hide a lot of the parking structure once the trees planted have grown a bit taller.

22. Default Re: Residences at 21c

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ...One thing I hadn't noticed until now is that the facades of the two old buildings that will be re-assembled along the Sheridan side of the parking garage will be quite a bit further west than their original location.

It begs the question: Is it really meaningful to completely destroy a building, then try to reassemble the facades in a different location in which they stood?...
    in a word, no. I love this project overall, and in a great way, but a historic building is either worth preserving or its not. The facadism craze, or worse, the recent tendency to demolish and recreate is fakery. It's not authentic. Even worse is the 499 approach; demolishing a place and featuring its sign on your new building. These "nods" to history are unintentionally more insulting than they are respectful. Why is a building worth memorializing/imitating if it's not worth preserving?

In the case of the 21C/Hall Capital projects, the higher and better use is pretty clear. If you're not going to incorporate the actual historic buildings, make the new ones great and move on down the road.

I love that they are guiting busy on this project looks like it is going to be aggressive construction site and the end result is going to be really nice for the western edge of downtown and bring more life into Film Row District.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    in a word, no. I love this project overall, and in a great way, but a historic building is either worth preserving or its not. The facadism craze, or worse, the recent tendency to demolish and recreate is fakery. It's not authentic. Even worse is the 499 approach; demolishing a place and featuring its sign on your new building. These "nods" to history are unintentionally more insulting than they are respectful. Why is a building worth memorializing/imitating if it's not worth preserving?

In the case of the 21C/Hall Capital projects, the higher and better use is pretty clear. If you're not going to incorporate the actual historic buildings, make the new ones great and move on down the road.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Yes, 100%.

Thread Information