Widgets Magazine
Page 81 of 104 FirstFirst ... 317677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2598

Thread: Oil prices

Default Re: Oil prices

I didn’t misrepresent anything.

A nat gas power plant once up and running still needs nat gas to feed it. They have to buy the natural gas. That means new wells must come online. Those wells have pumpers. Tech to maintain the instrumentation. Pipelines and gathering systems have to built and maintained.

A solar farm once built, the input cost is 0. The sun is free. There are no workers to drill and maintain for more sunlight.

The deflationary aspect of renewable is why it’s gaining market share. After the initial capex the input cost for the fuel is 0. The maintenance cost is very little.

Alternative energy will not help stem the oil and gas.

They also somewhat function in different parts of the “energy” market.

I’ve worked in both.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Shale is mostly dead. The capital inflows will never flow like they used to. There's only so many times you can burn the people who invested in it.

The oil business isn't dead but the days of a 150 rigs running in OK are gone. 50 will feel like a boom.

So the pivot is going to be forced, cause like, there isn't going to be a lot of jobs in O&G. If a sector of our economy shrinks, by definition we're more diversified after.

Renewable doesn't have the same level of jobs and will never have the level of jobs.

You build a solar farm. It just sits there. You maybe have one tech responsible for cleaning them and making sure the motors work.
    Same thing with wind. There is no product to maintain. It's wind. There's some maintenance, but other than that it's one off once it's built.

Think what an ATM and online banking did to banking jobs. It shrunk the number of jobs. Overall, good for society, but deflationary on the employment side. Renewable is the same way. Once it's built there is no product cost to maintain. Solar and wind are free.
    The wind energy sector is going to be absolutely vital to the state of Oklahoma during this volatile time. Billions of dollars of investment that the Oklahoma of the 80s would have killed to have during that bust. It is one more tool in the tool shed that the state needs to lean on as we continue to work towards a more diversified economy.

The number of jobs will continue to climb with the addition of new wind farms. there are currently 45 wind farms in the state and 7 manufacturing facilities (mostly in Tulsa). About 1,500 MW of new capacity being built right now.

There are far more than just "some maintenance" going on each and every year at every site in the state. There are millions to be made off of this maintenance and several service companies in the state that were O&G facing have made very profitable transitions over to wind O&M.

There is a huge repower push in the industry right now and existing sites are going to be getting even further investment.

There is approximately 40 million dollars pushed to the Oklahoma economy each year in lease payments alone.

this obviously wont completely stop the pain we are going to experience from the oil bust, but it is absolutely going to make it hurt a whole lot less.

Blog Entries

A nat gas power plant once up and running still needs nat gas to feed it. They have to buy the natural gas. That means new wells must come online. Those wells have pumpers. Tech to maintain the instrumentation. Pipelines and gathering systems have to built and maintained.

A solar farm once built, the input cost is 0. The sun is free. There are no workers to drill and maintain for more sunlight.

The deflationary aspect of renewable is why it’s gaining market share. After the initial capex the input cost for the fuel is 0. The maintenance cost is very little.

I’ve worked in both.
    I stand by my remarks. You do not understand the alternative energy business. You are obviously tied to O&G. That's your perspective and interests. Kudos to you.

I don’t know why every person who is pro O&G is automatically against renewable energy like it’s some liberal conspiracy. Oklahoma is set up to benefit from wind, solar, and gas. I Don’t know why we have to be against bringing new investment to the state. Im not pro or anti anything. I’m for whoever’s check cashes. It all spends exactly the same.

Never mind that renewables are not reliable and they will never attain the scale necessary to replace our current electricity usage .........much less power the transportation sector.

Anyone with half a brain can understand that , except for those few who are profiting from govt subsidies of wind and solar.

And one nuclear plant could replace every wind turbine in Oklahoma and more .................

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    Never mind that renewables are not reliable and they will never attain the scale necessary to replace our current electricity usage .........much less power the transportation sector.

Anyone with half a brain can understand that , except for those few who are profiting from govt subsidies of wind and solar.

And one nuclear plant could replace every wind turbine in Oklahoma and more .................
    Yea I don’t know what you’re talking about and don’t really care. Why you want to keep okies from eating is beyond me. Wind turbines will keep getting put up so they might as well be put up in this great state. Or we all can just starve with the rest of the oil industry if that sounds like a better idea. It doesn’t sound like those jobs are coming back anytime soon though.

We’ll be at $15 with a week or two.

My advice: if you have any CLR stock sell it. It’s going to 0
    What specifically makes you say this? I've ridden it down so far at this point that it hardly seems worth selling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post

Please refrain from spreading an ignorant false narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Yea I don’t know what you’re talking about and don’t really care. Why you want to keep okies from eating is beyond me. Wind turbines will keep getting put up so they might as well be put up in this great state. Or we all can just starve with the rest of the oil industry if that sounds like a better idea. It doesn’t sound like those jobs are coming back anytime soon though.
    Well, lets review ........ we have an industry that can only survive with govt subsidy, a fact drilled home this past week when the wind lobby tried to get an increase in their Fed subsidy included in the CARE economic stimulus bill.

And the purpose for the subsidy to this industry , is to reduce CO2 emissions. Which its dubious whether there's any real reduction in emissions, just have to go look at Germany's experience over the past 10 years. They've spend trillions on renewables and their CO2 emissions have increased. Largely because they tried to replace nuclear generation with renewables and now they have to burn more coal than ever before due to the intermittancy of renewables.

About the only thing we know for sure about renewables , is they raise electric rates. Everywhere large scale renewables are in place, the rates are high. Germany has the highest in the world. California is pushing to be the highest in the USA.

So you want to turn this into a Federal make work program ? Sort've another version of broken window economics ? And about all that really accomplishes, is making subsidies to this industry something that can never be eliminated due to the political push back.

On top of that , people are not markers on a map, that can be pushed around from one industry to another by politicians in DC, like a General manuevering his troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How bout you tell that to Dr James Hansen , former head of NASA's Goddard research center, and the person generally seen to be the " Father of Global Warming " . He was the first to testify to Congress about warming in 1989. Just Google the man .

Here's a cliff notes version of Hansen's views on nuclear

https://youtu.be/zXq79YeqZAg

Here's more for your viewing pleasure

https://youtu.be/v1f4BKsFrCA

If its truly the goal of the environmental left to move the USA to an electric economy, why do they reject the only sure and quickest path to reach that goal ? Which is nuclear.

They want just the opposite, they want to shut down current nuclear generation.

Its illogical

And here's that ignorant backwoods bumpkin, Bill Gates ...........telling you why renewables will never get us there , and who btw, is a nuclear advocate.

I don't just pull my view point, from out of the air .............. or get suckered in by political rhetoric ........or some lobby for the wind industry trying to sell us a pig in a poke

https://youtu.be/9xe3BWPsBTU

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I don’t know why every person who is pro O&G is automatically against renewable energy like it’s some liberal conspiracy. Oklahoma is set up to benefit from wind, solar, and gas. I Don’t know why we have to be against bringing new investment to the state. Im not pro or anti anything. I’m for whoever’s check cashes. It all spends exactly the same.
    We’re not all against alternatives, my team is actually working on a solar project right now. What we are against is liberals, environmentalists and liberal politicians claiming that we can stop using oil and gas tomorrow and convert completely to renewables without any issue when that isn’t currently feasible in general. And then doubling down and vowing to stop all drilling. Especially when all of that is coming from people who don’t have any understanding of the greater energy and power generation industries.

The current prez, and to some extent the previous admin, did all they could to get producers here to overproduce... make America Great again, remember. They reduce regulations and keep favorable taxes so that we could produce so much and be energy independent. Now we have a glut of gas and oil and now O&G should be protected for recklessly overproducing? Really?
    Yeah that’s not even close to why we have a glut of oil or gas but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know that and are just trying to prove a point. Gopokes answer to why there is such a glut is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    We’re not all against alternatives, my team is actually working on a solar project right now. What we are against is liberals, environmentalists and liberal politicians claiming that we can stop using oil and gas tomorrow and convert completely to renewables without any issue when that isn’t currently feasible in general. And then doubling down and vowing to stop all drilling. Especially when all of that is coming from people who don’t have any understanding of the greater energy and power generation industries.
    I wish there were 1,000 active wells in the state right now and oil was 150 dollars a barrel. I also wish there were 500 wind sites going up in the state. I’m just stating that if one industry is currently crashing, having other alternatives is a big deal. Something that we as a state should be actively trying to get more of.

Oil and gas, wind, aerospace, solar, pig farms, tech. I don’t care what it is, if an industry wants to bring jobs to the state I will be for that industry. I’ll leave the political posturing for DC.

It’s not ignorant and false. Renewable energy is a complete joke and those that think it is the savior are the ones spreading lies and ignorance. If you want to pretend renewables are good for the planet then by all means keep your head stuck in the sand but to downplay nuclear shows you have not the slightest notion of what you’re talking about. Nuclear is the safest, efficient, and yields the most energy over every form that currently exists. It’s what even makes solar possible given fusion powers the sun. A standard candu reactor could replace virtually every wind turbine in the state.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It’s not ignorant and false. Renewable energy is a complete joke and those that think it is the savior are the ones spreading lies and ignorance. If you want to pretend renewables are good for the planet then by all means keep your head stuck in the sand but to downplay nuclear shows you have not the slightest notion of what you’re talking about. Nuclear is the safest, efficient, and yields the most energy over every form that currently exists. It’s what even makes solar possible given fusion powers the sun. A standard candu reactor could replace virtually every wind turbine in the state.
    Wow. Wonder what sets off everyone against clean environmentally safe energy. Almost everyone up in arms on this thread have no real practical knowledge of various technologies...just repeating tired old rhetoric promoted by the fossil people. Now we have pro nuclear reactor people wanting to jump in the fight. Lol. I think some people just love to posture and argue.

I’ve worked in both.
    I know from a land perspective there is a much lower need for landmen or anyone that handles land issues on the alternative side. Surface title work and leasing is significantly easier and less complex than mineral title. There is still a need but on the whole, it’s not as big of one.

Blog Entries

What grandstanding. Nobody I know in renewables suggests immediate stopping fossils tomorrow and converting. Fortunately they don’t resort to your kind of hyperbole. You exaggerate so much as to be ridiculous. This is like the right wing saying “liberals” who want to do something to keep gun deaths down are trying to take everybody's guns away and are anti American. It’s stupid hyperbole to make the gullible believe and be scared.

20. Default Re: Oil prices

We could only wish for someone to develop a commercially viable nuclear fusion reactor. Unlimited and totally safe energy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    We could only wish for someone to develop a commercially viable nuclear fusion reactor. Unlimited and totally safe energy?
    And cheaper. Nuclear power plants are very capital intensive at about 6 times the cost of conventional power plants.

What grandstanding. Nobody I know in renewables suggests immediate stopping fossils tomorrow and converting. Fortunately they don’t resort to your kind of hyperbole. You exaggerate so much as to be ridiculous. This is like the right wing saying “liberals” who want to do something to keep gun deaths down are trying to take everybody's guns away and are anti American. It’s stupid hyperbole to make the gullible believe and be scared.
    Oh shut up Rover, get off your high horse. You apparently haven’t listened to a democratic presidential debate in the last two decades. Would you like me to pull some quotes from politicians over just the last 6 months? Sorry, I’ll say far-left liberals if that makes you feel better. Nothing I said was untrue nor was it an exaggeration. People in the groups i mentioned advocate for discontinuing fossil fuel use immediately all the time. I never said anywhere in my post that people in the alternative energy industry say any of that...I have no problem with the industry itself or those who work in it. As I mentioned we do work for several alternative companies.

Blog Entries

Oh shut up Rover, get off your high horse. You apparently haven’t listened to a democratic presidential debate in the last two decades. Would you like me to pull some quotes from politicians over just the last 6 months? Sorry, I’ll say far-left liberals if that makes you feel better. Nothing I said was untrue nor was it an exaggeration. People in the groups i mentioned advocate for discontinuing fossil fuel use immediately all the time. I never said anywhere in my post that people in the alternative energy industry say any of that...I have no problem with the industry itself or those who work in it. As I mentioned we do work for several alternative companies.
    If that’s the case, you apparently haven’t listened to our Prez and his sycophants Re our energy policies and regulation abandonment. BTW, the pres just now abandoned environmental regs because of the pandemic....like there is any association. And, You are the one trying to call all green energy advocates liberals to try to discredit them to your right wing science denying friends.

If that’s the case, you apparently haven’t listened to our Prez and his sycophants Re our energy policies and regulation abandonment. BTW, the pres just now abandoned environmental regs because of the pandemic....like there is any association. And, You are the one trying to call all green energy advocates liberals to try to discredit them to your right wing science denying friends.
    That is literally not what my post said. I never said anything about alternative energy advocates. I said liberals, environmentalists and politicians who do exactly what I described. If you think those terms describe all alternative energy advocates then youre hurting your own point.

I know from a land perspective there is a much lower need for landmen or anyone that handles land issues on the alternative side. Surface title work and leasing is significantly easier and less complex than mineral title. There is still a need but on the whole, it’s not as big of one.
    Heard that. I can run surface on a section in a day. Give me a section in 1S-2W and it’s going to take me 40 billable days to turn in an OR (LH/WI included).

Thread Information