Widgets Magazine
Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3539899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2598

Thread: Oil prices

Default Re: Oil prices

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    And we can extend fossil fuel usefulness through some improvements in its processing and infrastructure to significantly impact its negative ecological impact.
    Even though I'm an "oil man"... I fully believe in climate change and consider it a real risk. The problem many countries & states have faced that are leading in wind/solar/(others) rollouts is that they have to fight the dreaded "duck curve" - a graph that shows the inverse relationship between solar/wind output & grid demand. During the day, solar and wind output is high, but then tapers off in the evening. Power demand ramps up in the evening as people get home, cook meals, run HVAC, electronics, etc.

Carbon capture is something we need to be talking about more, and funding more. There is more than 1 way to pull the carbon out of the air and put it back. One company has direct air carbon capture that changes carbon in to pellets. Another company injects carbon in to basalt rock formations on the sea floor where it becomes stone and sticks to the pores in the rock.

A few really helpful videos to explain:

Duck Curve & Challenges:
    https://youtu.be/YYLzss58CLs

Direct air capture tech:
    https://youtu.be/XHX9pmQ6m_s

Follow up 2 years later:
    https://youtu.be/cxVFopLpIQY

Sea bed injection tech:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4tDqDbn3k

Oil is at a decade long high. This has to be good news for local companies and development.

$125 this evening
    How high will it go?

I’m also reading that Oklahoma oil producers are reluctant to boost production why is that? Gas is getting over seven dollars a gallon in some areas in LA

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m also reading that Oklahoma oil producers are reluctant to boost production why is that? Gas is getting over seven dollars a gallon in some areas in LA
    Because what goes up, must come down. The oil producers get bashed when they don't over-hire and extend too far, then get bashed when they have to let people go because of lower prices. So they are just going to stay status quo.

And this isn't just Oklahoma oil producers, but pretty much all around the country. They are learning from past mistakes.

6. Default Re: Oil prices

It’s also not easy, in this market, to increase production. There’s only so many rigs / service companies available because of labor shortages. Of course, high o&g prices might solve some of the labor issues.

The O&G companies have been backed into this corner. There is absolutely no financing available to fund large sale projects. They have been so vilified over the last year that banks will not lend. Therefore, there are no smaller E&P companies that can fund decent sized projects.
    The companies that have seen a windfall of cash flows recently are not going to reinvest like the old days. They are quite happy being flush with cash and riding it out. There is no reason for large companies to spend much more, only to risk more taxes, regulations and red tape. Most of the bigs are looking at 100% over their 2022 projections as it sits now.

Historically, a surge in crude-oil prices of this magnitude have ended U.S. economic expansions and tipped the U.S. economy into recession, according to Pictet Asset Management.

In the past 50 years, every time oil prices, adjusted for inflation, rose 50% above trend, a recession followed, data from Luca Paolini, chief strategist at Pictet, show. Brent, the international gauge for prices, climbed well above $110 a barrel this week, crossing that threshold on worries about disruption to Russia’s exports after https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-u-s-recession

Keystone Pipeline Would Have Delivered 830,000 BARRELS OF OIL PER DAY to US — More than Current Daily Russian Imports.. Was shut down, not good. We are funding both sides of war, not good.

Green energy pressure on large banking industry shut down major financing to oil industry, not good.

US is now going to release more SPR which is already at 19 year low and leaves us vulnerable if we have any real oil emergency, not good.

US is now going to reduce sanctions on Venz for oil, not good.

US is going to make a deal with sworn enemy Iran to buy oil from them and agree to nuke deal, not good.

US is going to beg SA to release more oil, not good.

Elon Musk said we must get back to producing more oil, and if he is saying that as an electric car company its serious. He agrees we cannot go green overnight and now we’re in a pickle.

All this has happened in just over 1 year. We were mostly energy independent now we are in crisis begging bad countries to sell us more oil and as always the US citizens pay the price.

Actions have consequences

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Keystone Pipeline Would Have Delivered 830,000 BARRELS OF OIL PER DAY to US — More than Current Daily Russian Imports.. Was shut down, not good. We are funding both sides of war, not good.

Green energy pressure on large banking industry shut down major financing to oil industry, not good.

US is now going to release more SPR which is already at 19 year low and leaves us vulnerable if we have any real oil emergency, not good.

US is now going to reduce sanctions on Venz for oil, not good.

US is going to make a deal with sworn enemy Iran to buy oil from them and agree to nuke deal, not good.

US is going to beg SA to release more oil, not good.

Elon Musk said we must get back to producing more oil, and if he is saying that as an electric car company its serious. He agrees we cannot go green overnight and now weÂ’re in a pickle.

All this has happened in just over 1 year. We were mostly energy independent now we are in crisis begging bad countries to sell us more oil and as always the US citizens pay the price.

Actions have consequences
    This is somewhat shortsighted. We still havenÂ’t recouped the 3 milllion barrels per day we discontinued due to pandemic shutdowns. Also paying Canada isnÂ’t much better. Smart play would be to use the oil as leverage on a company that is crashing and burning. Better yet would be some direct action But I imagine if a crazed dictator holding the world hostage with nukes may need to look at long game options to avoid nuclear issues. I promise you gas will go down. Hell they layoff have the statewide workforce every 18 months. Not to mention my energy stocks in Devon and CR have increased nearing 300% in the last 12 months. The more we pay at the pump the better it is for oklahomas economy. Maybe even get a new Devon tower out of it. Look weÂ’re nearing 1 million deaths,( certainly most were voters) truckers are clogging the freeways like BLM over mask vaccine mandates. I mean some say tomato some say infantile foot stomping over a minor inconvenience. I say have a coke and a smile and get your robinhood account open. Play your cards right and those stock dividends could pay for your gas for the next few years.

I support the Keystone Pipeline but I thought that oil was going to be shipped out of the US once refined?

I support the Keystone Pipeline but I thought that oil was going to be shipped out of the US once refined?
    That was a popular anti-pipeline talking point but was not likely to be reality. The pipeline was being built to move heavier oil from Canada down to refineries that are set up to refine heavier oil on the Gulf Coast. At that point, the refined products would go to whoever the purchasers of them were.

As others have said, producers are pretty gun shy about ramping up operations based on a temporary price spike, especially after the massive losses sustained over the last few years. There are also labor shortages after all the layoffs over the last 2 years (especially on the service company side) which has made lining up rigs and completion crews much more difficult than during the 2010-2019 timeframe.

On the financing side, private equity, which helped keep the independent sector of the industry going between 2014-2019 has all but dried up due to the losses that private equity firms took during that time frame. Too many good ideas that didn't pan out nearly as well as projected which led to reserve estimates (and asset/company values) being slashed. The anti-fossil fuel push has also had an effect on industry investment but not near as much as poor performance and the low commodity price environment have. Also, I don't know to what extent this is the case across the board but I know a few of my clients are hedged at between $60-$80 per bbl so there's not much incentive to ramp up production until those hedges get closer to falling off.

While many of the majors and publicly traded companies are actually exercising restraint for a change, many private companies that are in good financial condition are gearing up their exploration programs in an attempt to capitalize on what seems like will be a favorable pricing environment for the foreseeable future. If prices stay over $80/bbl I would guess the majors and public companies will follow suit later this year or into Q1 2023.

As for the reasons that prices are so high right now...other than the obvious (geopolitical instability), the lack of outside investment as well as the consolidation and massive production cuts that occurred due to the pandemic oversupply crisis are the main contributors. The price was always going to increase when demand returned and corrected the imbalance caused by the pandemic and inability of the industry to quickly return to pre-pandemic production levels. I and many others thought we'd be looking at $100+ oil this summer and the instability in Russia/Ukraine has sped that up. What's interesting is that all of this price movement has been completely based on speculation that a bunch of Russian oil is about to be taken off the market...but nothing has actually been taken off the market yet. There was an announcement that Iran was going to be allowed to trade their oil on the market again which only caused a minor dip before oil resumed it's climb. If a full embargo goes into effect, it will be interesting to see how high it goes.

From a political perspective, as tired as I am of all of the Biden administration's anti-oil and gas rhetoric and illogical/ineffective policy decisions regarding the oil and gas industry, the Biden administration really has had little to do with the price going up. Anyone who has followed my posts here knows I'm definitely not a democrat or supporter of Joe Biden but any attempt to lay all the blame at the foot of his administration without also explaining the other factors that got us to this point is dishonest (just as politicians like Bernie Sanders blaming oil and gas companies for the price increase is). Any pundit or politician that puts all the blame on Biden or the Oil and Gas Industry is being either being ignorant or dishonest. That said, the Biden administration certainly is not doing anything to help the situation. Approving the Keystone XL Pipeline wouldn't immediately bring more oil onto the domestic market but would by mid-2023 if approved now. Given that it is a publicly traded commodity, the sentiment that more oil would eventually be on the market would likely help drive the price down. Same story for resuming the onshore and offshore federal leasing programs. If resumed, it would take a few years to see production from new leases (longer for offshore), but again, the sentiment that more domestic oil would enter the market eventually might help drive down the price. Doing nothing because those options don't immediately bring production onto the market and acting like they're trying to find a short term solution (that doesn't exist), is both shortsighted and frankly ridiculous, which is a word that accurately summarizes this administration's energy policy so far. It should say something when even Elon Musk supports increasing oil and gas production and said that in his opinion, renewable energy isn't anywhere near being capable of making up the difference right now.

I don't know at what point the price starts negatively effecting OK's economy but in the short term, the high prices should significantly increase royalties going directly to the state and will absolutely help any companies in the E&P sector here. If the price can stabilize and land consistently in the $80-$100 range, I think that's a sweet spot that will work well for both producers and consumers. If natural gas can stay over $3-4/mmbtu that helps as well.

^^^ okay good to know! Maybe this crisis will get it started again.

Hopefully this situation can have a silver lining for Oklahoma.

Actually I think I stand corrected. I was thinking DAPL

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    As others have said, producers are pretty gun shy about ramping up operations based on a temporary price spike, especially after the massive losses sustained over the last few years. There are also labor shortages after all the layoffs over the last 2 years (especially on the service company side) which has made lining up rigs and completion crews much more difficult than during the 2010-2019 timeframe.
    On the financing side, private equity, which helped keep the independent sector of the industry going between 2014-2019 has all but dried up due to the losses that private equity firms took during that time frame. Too many good ideas that didn't pan out nearly as well as projected which led to reserve estimates (and asset/company values) being slashed. The anti-fossil fuel push has also had an effect on industry investment but not near as much as poor performance and the low commodity price environment have. Also, I don't know to what extent this is the case across the board but I know a few of my clients are hedged at between $60-$80 per bbl so there's not much incentive to ramp up production until those hedges get closer to falling off.

While many of the majors and publicly traded companies are actually exercising restraint for a change, many private companies that are in good financial condition are gearing up their exploration programs in an attempt to capitalize on what seems like will be a favorable pricing environment for the foreseeable future. If prices stay over $80/bbl I would guess the majors and public companies will follow suit later this year or into Q1 2023.

As for the reasons that prices are so high right now...other than the obvious (geopolitical instability), the lack of outside investment as well as the consolidation and massive production cuts that occurred due to the pandemic oversupply crisis are the main contributors. The price was always going to increase when demand returned and corrected the imbalance caused by the pandemic and inability of the industry to quickly return to pre-pandemic production levels. I and many others thought we'd be looking at $100+ oil this summer and the instability in Russia/Ukraine has sped that up. What's interesting is that all of this price movement has been completely based on speculation that a bunch of Russian oil is about to be taken off the market...but nothing has actually been taken off the market yet. There was an announcement that Iran was going to be allowed to trade their oil on the market again which only caused a minor dip before oil resumed it's climb. If a full embargo goes into effect, it will be interesting to see how high it goes.

From a political perspective, as tired as I am of all of the Biden administration's anti-oil and gas rhetoric and illogical/ineffective policy decisions regarding the oil and gas industry, the Biden administration really has had little to do with the price going up. Anyone who has followed my posts here knows I'm definitely not a democrat or supporter of Joe Biden but any attempt to lay all the blame at the foot of his administration without also explaining the other factors that got us to this point is dishonest (just as politicians like Bernie Sanders blaming oil and gas companies for the price increase is). Any pundit or politician that puts all the blame on Biden or the Oil and Gas Industry is being either being ignorant or dishonest. That said, the Biden administration certainly is not doing anything to help the situation. Approving the Keystone XL Pipeline wouldn't immediately bring more oil onto the domestic market but would by mid-2023 if approved now. Given that it is a publicly traded commodity, the sentiment that more oil would eventually be on the market would likely help drive the price down. Same story for resuming the onshore and offshore federal leasing programs. If resumed, it would take a few years to see production from new leases (longer for offshore), but again, the sentiment that more domestic oil would enter the market eventually might help drive down the price. Doing nothing because those options don't immediately bring production onto the market and acting like they're trying to find a short term solution (that doesn't exist), is both shortsighted and frankly ridiculous, which is a word that accurately summarizes this administration's energy policy so far. It should say something when even Elon Musk supports increasing oil and gas production and said that in his opinion, renewable energy isn't anywhere near being capable of making up the difference right now.

I don't know at what point the price starts negatively effecting OK's economy but in the short term, the high prices should significantly increase royalties going directly to the state and will absolutely help any companies in the E&P sector here. If the price can stabilize and land consistently in the $80-$100 range, I think that's a sweet spot that will work well for both producers and consumers. If natural gas can stay over $3-4/mmbtu that helps as well.
    Another thing to keep in mind. O&G is the most volatile commodity currently and one of the most volatile in history. They have a responsibility to bleed us as much as they can. While the can. Before the next bust. Oil will tumble again. It’s a a postulate not a theory. Meanwhile. I say buy some stock. And enjoy the fact that you can’t walk outside in Oklahoma without getting slapped in the face with a new job or someone trying to hire you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post

Meanwhile large o&g companies have made more than $2 Trillion in the last 2 decades, $174 BILLION just in 2021. Keep in mind that it is easy to change the P&L numbers based on value of reserves, which are based on pricing. It's easy to be making cash and still showing a big loss. It is an art.

Meanwhile large o&g companies have made more than $2 Trillion in the last 2 decades, $174 BILLION just in 2021. Keep in mind that it is easy to change the P&L numbers based on value of reserves, which are based on pricing. It's easy to be making cash and still showing a big loss. It is an art.
    Reserve values aren’t just based on commodity pricing but a number of variables. The write down that most of the industry took between 2018 and 2020 was largely due to well results showing that a third to half as many wells could be drilled within the target formations in a unit in some play areas than than their overly optimistic initial projections indicated were possible. That was an issue across the board, no matter the company size.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Oil is at a decade long high. This has to be good news for local companies and development.
    Double-edged sword. Good for the companies and royalty owners' bottom line, bad for consumers paying much higher prices for not only gasoline but everything else transported by trucks. IF there is a significant increase in production there would be a hiring surge but as others have stated most companies are reluctant to increase due to lack of private equity/financing and adequate labor.

20. Default Re: Oil prices

An art that isn't all that unique to the o&g business. Plenty of companies have figured out that game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    An art that isn't all that unique to the o&g business. Plenty of companies have figured out that game.
    True. But O&G and commercial real estate have huge breaks most don’t enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Keystone Pipeline Would Have Delivered 830,000 BARRELS OF OIL PER DAY to US — More than Current Daily Russian Imports.. Was shut down, not good.
    Keystone Pipeline was not shut down. it still pushes oil to this day. the XL Expansion was scrapped. But Canadian Oil is still flowing to our refineries via the Keystone Pipeline and then being sold on the world market, but not to the US...

Question (Non-Political):
    Would the US being energy independent be good or bad for Oklahoma? Would prices be too low as they were in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Keystone Pipeline was not shut down. it still pushes oil to this day. the XL Expansion was scrapped. But Canadian Oil is still flowing to our refineries via the Keystone Pipeline and then being sold on the world market, but not to the US...
    Most of the Canadian oil from the current keystone pipeline has flowed to refineries in the Midwest since 2010. We import around 4.5 million bbls per day from Canada, who is our largest source of imported oil making up 61% of our total yearly imports. You mean to tell me that you know for a fact that none of the Canadian oil transported by the keystone pipeline and refined in our refineries is used domestically?

You also know for a fact that none of the additional 830k bbl per day from the keystone XL pipeline would be refined and consumed in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by jarrington00 View Post
    Question (Non-Political):
    Would the US being energy independent be good or bad for Oklahoma? Would prices be too low as they were in 2019?
    From an energy security standpoint it would absolutely be better. Price would still all depend on how much was produced vs how much was being consumed. The commodity pricing environment is cyclical and would be no matter what the market. Oversupply in 2019 caused the price to drop and that paired with the demand destruction caused by the pandemic caused it to drop historically lower. Just like in the past, new drilling and production were cut and the price rebounded. It would still be a globally traded commodity and affected by global supply/demand and geopolitical issues, just as it was between 2015-2020 but it would likely help keep the cost of WTI lower than Brent and other international indexes. Right now the price is going to the moon based on the concern that Russian oil will be taken off the world/domestic market. If we were producing enough additional oil to offset at minimum what we consume from Russia, it would definitely help.

Thread Information