Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Obamacare

Default Re: Obamacare

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Advocates for overweight Americans see wellness programs as thinly veiled fat discrimination.... Wellness programs are against fat unhealthy people... who would have thought. I get a discount on my health insurance because I don't smoke.
    The problem is that BMI is not a factor for measurement of health. The implementation has also been inconsistent with different companies and insurances. When my wife's company started a wellness program a few years ago, it was point based. You got points for a wellness check, points for each time you logged a workout, points for visiting a gym, points for hitting certain goals or participating in programs. It worked fairly well, since it was about the effort you put into it.

Then it switched and got more difficult to keep your wellness discount. Then this year it switched again, and it's even harder. One of the requirements to maintain the status for the wellness discount is improvement in at least one metric (their metrics they accept are BP, cholesterol, weight, etc). Basically, you get the checkup early in the year, and late in the year, and must show improvement in at least one area. This is the case even if you were good in all the metrics.

I'm generally in favor of wellness programs. I just wish they were a little more consistently implemented.

The article has some decent points if you ignore the completely clickbait title.
    It was as though the article was turned in and then the editor decided no one would read if it was called "Wellness programs are terribly thought out and implemented."

3. Default Re: Obamacare

The ACA isn't getting much attention at the GOP debates. Guess they've moved on to PP and Iran.

4. Default Re: Obamacare

Jeff King, a leader of the Republican-led state Senate in Kansas, has long been opposed to the Affordable Care Act. Indeed, like most GOP officials in Kansas, King has balked at even allowing a debate over expanding “Obamacare” in the state.

But Mercy Hospital in Independence, Kansas, recently announced it will permanently close its doors on Oct. 10, in large part because the state refuses to consider Medicaid expansion under the ACA. The medical facility is in Jeff King’s district – prompting him to give “Obamacare” a second look.

He told the Lawrence Journal-World last week that if the state could pursue a conservative approach to Medicaid expansion – along the lines of what Indiana and other “red” states have already embraced – it would be “something that Kansas needs to strongly consider.”

Yesterday, the Topeka Capital-Journal reported on the response from King’s ostensible GOP allies.
    A southern Kansas hospital’s pending closure, which administrators blame on the state’s reluctance to expand Medicaid, hasn’t been enough to persuade Gov. Sam Brownback to soften his stance on the matter. […]

Brownback said the hospital closure isn’t because the state won’t expand Medicaid. “They should blame it on Obamacare,” he said.
    As a substantive matter, this doesn’t make any sense at all. The Affordable Care Act didn’t cause the hospital to close; the Affordable Care Act is offering the hospital a lifeline that could keep the facility open. Brownback, who really ought to know better, has the entire story backwards.

The far-right governor, however, ignoring the success of the policy in most of the country, won’t consider the easy, obvious solution.

This is going to get worse for Kansas before it gets better.

In fact, the Kansas Hospital Association, which has pleaded with Republican policymakers to be more responsible, has warned state officials that additional facilities may yet close for the same reason. The Topeka Capital-Journal article added that the Kansas Hospital Association has been keeping track of “the amount of federal money Kansas has passed up by not expanding since January 2014.”

As of yesterday, the total was nearly $738 million.

Brownback, facing a fiscal crisis of his own making, nevertheless remains unmoved by evidence, reason, common sense, and arithmetic. The governor and his allies are confronted with a simple choice: stick to ideological principles and oppose Medicaid expansion out of partisan spite or listen to state hospitals and take simple steps to prevent medical facilities from closing their doors.

So far, they’re not choosing wisely.

5. Default Re: Obamacare

The ACA had to revise it's numbers since it hasn't covered 16.4 million people in the past five years.

It's covered 17.6 million, beating expectations and Congressional Budget Office projections.

The revised total includes 15.3 million people who gained coverage through the individual marketplace or through Medicaid. It also includes 2.3 million young adults who gained coverage because they were able to remain on a parent’s plan until they turn 26.
    The new data also puts the Obama administration ahead of the health insurance gains estimated by the Congressional Budget Office for 2015. The CBO had predicted roughly 17 million people would gain coverage by 2015, with the gains about equally split between the exchanges and Medicaid.

Health and Human Services (HHS) chief Sylvia Mathews Burwell announced the new figure Tuesday during a speech at Howard University Hospital, where she also highlighted the law's impact on black and Hispanic populations.

"This progress has been even bigger for people of color," she said, pointing to the 10 percent drop in the uninsured rate among black Americans.

Health Premiums Have Climbed $4,865 Since Obama Promised to Cut Them $2,500 - Investors.com

Employer-based health insurance premiums climbed 4.2% this year for family plans, according to an annual Kaiser Family Foundation report. That's up from 3% the year before.
    Since 2008, average family premiums have climbed a total of $4,865.
    The White House cheered the news, saying it was a sign of continued slow growth in premium costs.
    That much is true. Since 2006, the average annual increase for family plans at work has been 4.9%, down from around 10% a year from 1999-2005.
    Slightly less higher premiums aren't what President Obama promised Americans when he ran for office touting his medical overhaul. He specifically said his plan would cut premiums.
    "We will start," Obama said back in 2008, "by reducing premiums by as much as $2,500 per family."
    That $2,500 figure was Obama's mantra on health care. You can watch the video if you don't believe it.
    And Obama wasn't talking about government subsidized insurance or expanding Medicaid or anything like that. He specifically focused on employer provided health care.
    For "people who already have insurance, and the employers who are providing it," he said at one campaign event, "we will work to lower your premiums by up to $2,500 per family."
    So was he talking about lowering the rate of increase? It sure didn't seem that way. On CNN he said, "We're going to reduce costs an average of $2,500."
    Every time the subject came up, he promised to cut premiums, not slow the rate of increase.
    If what he meant was "we're going to keep the rate of increase in premiums about where it's been for several years now," he was being purposefully misleading.
    Of course, even if he did mean what he didn't say, Obama can't claim credit for the slowdown.
    The truth is that the current trend started in 2006, long before Obama took office, and longer still before ObamaCare took effect.
    And the continued trend of modest premium increases has been due largely to the shift in the employer market toward health savings account-type plans, which just happened to hit the market in 2005.

7. Default Re: Obamacare

Pre ACA

Twenty years ago U.S. healthcare cost $2800, on average, per person. Ten years ago, that figure had risen to $4700 per person. And four years ago, in 2008, it was $7500 per person. Health care was skyrocketing before the ACA. If my math is right it went up 63% in the previous 10 years before the ACA so it was already out of control and millions less had access to it. Mine has gone up very slightly and I wonder how many had the Cadiallac plans that did go a lot higher.

Forbes Welcome

Pre ACA

Twenty years ago U.S. healthcare cost $2800, on average, per person. Ten years ago, that figure had risen to $4700 per person. And four years ago, in 2008, it was $7500 per person. Health care was skyrocketing before the ACA. If my math is right it went up 63% in the previous 10 years before the ACA so it was already out of control and millions less had access to it. Mine has gone up very slightly and I wonder how many had the Cadiallac plans that did go a lot higher.

Forbes Welcome
    Yes, prices go up, but that was one of the selling points of PPACA, that it would reduce premiums.

9. Default Re: Obamacare

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Yes, prices go up, but that was one of the selling points of PPACA, that it would reduce premiums.
    Have the premiums lowered their previous rate of increases? I read somewhere this morning, I'll go back and try to find it, the cost of health care the past year is doubled the rate of inflation. Here's an article from today's news Premium Cost Is Top Concern for Health Insurance Shoppers: Survey - NBC News

Here's another link showing the cost of insurance per state and the change from last year, many have actually gone down.
    Analysis of 2015 Premium Changes in the Affordable Care Act?s Health Insurance Marketplaces | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday unveiled data showing that many Americans with health insurance bought under the Affordable Care Act could face substantial price increases next year — in some cases as much as 20 percent — unless they switch plans.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/us...2015.html?_r=0

I believe that high increase is for people that have the Cadillac plans.

With the cost of healthcare increasing the way they are the insurance companies have no choice in increasing the cost of coverage. If we want to lower the cost of insurance the cost of healthcare, and prescriptions, needs to come down first and I don't see that happening.

10. Default Re: Obamacare

Before the Affordable Care Act went into effect last year, critics claimed it would lead to job losses and cuts in employee hours. But how is it really playing out?

The dire predictions have so far proved to be unfounded, according to a new research paper from Federal Reserve Bank of New York economist Maxim Pinkovskiy. The fear was that employers who were newly required to provide health insurance to their workers would opt instead to cut hours or fire employees. But early numbers show that locations with a high percentage of uninsured Americans, such as Texas, ended up experiencing a rise in employment, salaries and output in comparison to areas with less exposure to the health care law, Pinkovskiy noted.

Part of Obamacare's mandate was the requirement that employers with more than 50 full-time workers would need to supply them with medical insurance. Anecdotes about companies such as Subway and Carl's Jr. turning to part-time workers to avoid the mandate raised concerns that the law would derail America's already shaky recovery. That was despite the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office saying there was "no compelling evidence" that part-time work was on the rise because of the law.

Obamacare's impact on employment: An early look - CBS News

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Did you read the article? Here is one of our main problems:
    About 126,000 Oklahomans have obtained subsidized insurance through the marketplace, which is operated by the federal government because Oklahoma refused to set up a state-run market.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Did you read the article? Here is one of our main problems:
    Yes the problem is being "operated by the federal gov't"

Looking forward to the debate, cant wait to hear the candidates ideas on obamacare. Wonder if they will be in full support like some on this board, or suggest tweaks and changes?

Looking forward to the debate, cant wait to hear the candidates ideas on obamacare. Wonder if they will be in full support like some on this board, or suggest tweaks and changes?
    Not sure that there is a candidate on either side of the aisle that wouldn't make some changes if given the chance.

15. Default Re: Obamacare

I'm in full support that everybody should have access to quality health care.

I'm in a job where I see payroll for 60 + companies per month ranging from low 6 figures to 9 to 10 figures. I've seen a ton of companies that had to make cutbacks and reduce staffing because of this law.

I also personally lost my prior plan and pay much more for a plan that requires me to come out of pocket 5k or so before I basically have any coverages. Great changes for a young family with twins, way to go Obama

I'm in full support that everybody should have access to quality health care.
    You know that would probably work if not for the huge amount of people that are not in the workforce (many of whom draw public assistance including Medicaid) The real truth is that with such a low number taxpayers the costs for Obamacare are having to come out of the earnings of people like ultimatesooner. This cockamamie plan will do nothing but support the ones who pay in nothing and wreck the economy by over taxing the working people.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    You know that would probably work if not for the huge amount of people that are not in the workforce (many of whom draw public assistance including Medicaid).
    You are correct that most of the people on Medicaid aren't in the workforce, they are mostly children or disabled.

By Population | Medicaid.gov

Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provide health coverage to more than 31 million children, including half of all low-income children in the U.S.
    Maybe those childrens parents should be working / working more or living with the Father of their children in order to raise their income above the poverty line. Taxpayers are getting tired of the scam the Government is allowing to continue that pays freeloaders out of the pockets of wage earners.

20. Default Re: Obamacare

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    I'm in a job where I see payroll for 60 + companies per month ranging from low 6 figures to 9 to 10 figures. I've seen a ton of companies that had to make cutbacks and reduce staffing because of this law.

I also personally lost my prior plan and pay much more for a plan that requires me to come out of pocket 5k or so before I basically have any coverages. Great changes for a young family with twins, way to go Obama
    '

I'm not sure what kind of plan you had before or what kind you have now but mine didn't change that much and I have a pretty good plan with a 2K deductible, which is tax free.

21. Default Re: Obamacare

By Population | Medicaid.gov

Maybe those childrens parents should be working / working more or living with the Father of their children in order to raise their income above the poverty line. Taxpayers are getting tired of the scam the Government is allowing to continue that pays freeloaders out of the pockets of wage earners.
    Yeah... it's the poor people's fault.

Not buying it KR. It's the Dems fault. They're subsidising the above lifestyle with taxpayer money in order to keep the plantation open and the occupants thereof voting for demorats.

23. Default Re: Obamacare

Not buying it KR. It's the Dems fault. They're subsidising the above lifestyle with taxpayer money in order to keep the plantation open and the occupants thereof voting for demorats.
    You don't think they had Medicaid under Republican rule? I didn't see anything about a lifestyle so could you please elaborate about the lifestyle the poor have that's so lavish?

There's been an ever increasing number couples living together without the benefit of marraige which allows the woman to file as single head of household with X number of children and receive govt aid in one form or another. In my old neighborhood there were two close to me that had oil field worker live-ins that drove nicer pickups than I could afford and they were buying from the stores with EBT cards. The Dems don't want to stop this b/c that would turn off their vote buying scheme.

There's been an ever increasing number couples living together without the benefit of marraige which allows the woman to file as single head of household with X number of children and receive govt aid in one form or another. In my old neighborhood there were two close to me that had oil field worker live-ins that drove nicer pickups than I could afford and they were buying from the stores with EBT cards. The Dems don't want to stop this b/c that would turn off their vote buying scheme.
    Post-ACA if both parents are in the home it doesn't matter if they are married or if they file taxes together. Both parents income counts towards the child's financial eligibility determination.

Thread Information