Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 17 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Market at Czech Hall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Market at Czech Hall

While this is described as being near Yukon, it is in the OKC city limits and will provide tax revenue to Oklahoma City.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5365880?embargo=1

A Tennessee developer has plans for a $50 million shopping center at Interstate 40 and Czech Hall Road called the Market at Czech Village.

Tennessee-based GBT Realty Corp. has 80 acres under contract to develop the regional neighborhood center near Yukon.

GBT expects site work on the 450,000-square-foot retail development to begin immediately after it completes the land purchase in spring 2015. The development is expected to open in spring 2016.
    Market at Czech Village.jpg

Default Re: Market at Czech Village

Czech it out: GBT plans 450,000-square-foot retail center in OKC

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 11, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma County’s western neighbor, Canadian County, is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. The increasing population attracted GBT Realty Corp. to the area. That’s why company plans to build a $50 million, 450,000-square-foot retail development on 80 acres at the intersection of NW 10th Street, N. Czech Hall Road, and Interstate 40 near Yukon.

The Market at Czech Hall will be the company’s first time building a shopping center in Oklahoma. However, it has been leasing shopping centers since 2008. GBT Realty is still in the process of acquiring the land, which it expects to complete in spring 2015, with the center to open summer 2016.

GBT Realty Managing Director of the Shopping Center Division Jeff Pape said that, over the past year, the company has frequently heard from national retail tenants that they want to expand their presence in the Oklahoma City market.

“We see this as a great opportunity,” Pape said.

The center is 40-percent leased, with final negotiations underway with grocery and sporting goods anchor tenants. The area will also have five junior box stores and 11 outparcels for banks, restaurants and other service providers at the property’s front.

Pape said the company starts with its tenants and then decides on the space it needs.

“There’s been quite a bit of interest,” he said. “It’s been a very good response. We’re very pleased with the activity.”

He said it’s too early to give tenant names, though he said that a majority of the retailers have a presence in Oklahoma City. The company boasts of relationships with Publix Supermarkets, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Wal-Mart, Target, Academy Sports + Outdoors, Walgreens, Best Buy, Dollar General, Ross Dress for Less, Bed Bath and Beyond, Marshalls, PetSmart and Old Navy.

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President of Economic Development Kurt Foreman said the center confirms the growth that is happening in Canadian County. The Yukon School District, which includes some of western Oklahoma City, has grown from about 5,000 students in 2000 to 8,092 students in 2013. The high school was built four years ago with extra classrooms, but all the class space is filled now.

“It’s an attractive place for retail growth because of the numbers there,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity to bring more services to a region in the city that is growing.”

The I-40 corridor already has two shopping centers, the Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City and Westgate Marketplace. Foreman said those places serve different customers, so there will be room for this center, as well. Also, there are residential neighborhoods across the interstate from the Market on Czech Hall Road.

“It’s always positive to see retail growth in this part of Oklahoma City,” Foreman said.

I'm not kidding.

I hope somebody decides to use some of the space for a Polka Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I'm not kidding.

I hope somebody decides to use some of the space for a Polka Palace.
    Czech Hall is just a block away .....

Isn't this like the third variation of a plan similar to this for that site by different developers over the last ten years. It seems like there is not much need of it being developed yet, since there is still plenty of room to build in established developments about a mile away either direction on i40.

Default Re: $50 Million Retail Center

This shows a proposed signal into the retail center. One would assume they would almost have to have a signal at the East bound entrance and westbound exit. If you exit coming westbound and want to turn left it's can be pretty bad now. This will increase traffic making it dangerous.

Happy Yukon is growing, but man, could the development be any more spread out? This is looking more and more like Edmond. Great for property value, but man traffic is going to be a total nightmare soon.

That's all well and good, but that's not Yukon, that's Oklahoma City. Yukon really should have annexed more land on both sides of I40 back in the day, because they have missed out on quite a bit if you look even further east at the area around Mustang Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    That's all well and good, but that's not Yukon, that's Oklahoma City. Yukon really should have annexed more land on both sides of I40 back in the day, because they have missed out on quite a bit if you look even further east at the area around Mustang Road.
    I'm not positive but it's possible that OKC had annexed that area before Yukon started much in the way of annexing. When that was happening few had any idea about what might be coming in the way of new developments. There was virtually nothing along I40 in the Yukon area than.

13. Default Re: $50 Million Retail Center

Is the development on Frisco Road dead or are both still planned?

Still on as far as I have heard.

I think there are still a lot of moving parts for the Frisco road development. I wouldn't plan on it in the next year or 2 from what I've heard. I do bet it still happens at some point though.

Not surprised. Even though Yukon says that development in OKC helps them (which it does), they'd still much rather have businesses in their city limits.

Grow west: Despite GBT plans, Yukon sticks with Frisco Road retail development

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 17, 2014

YUKON – GBT Realty Corp. announced last week plans to build a 450,000-square-foot retail center at Interstate 40 and Czech Hall Road in Oklahoma City. Despite the proximity, the city of Yukon has not changed its plans to build a 750,000-square-foot retail center at Interstate 40 and Frisco Road.

“It’s the right thing to do,” said Grayson Bottom, Yukon city manager. “We’ve gone way too far to back off now.”

The city’s work on the area helped spur the Oklahoma Department of Transportation into changing its eight-year plan, which will now include creating an eastbound and westbound Frisco Road exit. The interchange is in the city’s tax increment finance district, which would fund the city’s portion of the construction costs. The total estimated construction bill is $16 million, with the city funding $5.6 million. The city will also fund the engineering and environmental studies, as well as any utility line relocations.

For the retail site’s development, the city is working with Louisiana-based Prairie West Properties LLC. The site is west of Canadian Valley Hospital. Yukon Economic Development Authority Executive Director Larry Mitchell said the city has recently acquired the right of way to start developing the road to the retail site.

While it’s not uncommon to have retail centers close to each other, the west Oklahoma City-Yukon area will have a combined 1.2 million square feet in new retail space. Price Edwards & Co. Senior Vice President of Retail Jim Parrack said he thinks the area can support that much new development.

“The outlet mall and the Westgate Marketplace have proven that the area was under-retailed for a long period of time,” he said. “Also, the area draws significantly from western Oklahoma. Western Oklahoma is doing really well. There’s more money and more people out there that come back to Oklahoma City. I think if they’re done right, they’ll be successful. There’s still a pretty good number of retailers that ask about that area of town.”

Parrack spoke recently about the lack of Class A retail space in Oklahoma City. He said he thinks the two new centers will aid retailers that want to be in west Oklahoma City, but he doesn’t expect companies to settle for those spaces rather than the market they really want.

“I don’t think people will go over there that can’t find a place in Moore,” he said. “For people that want to be in west, northwest Oklahoma, I think the new centers will attract those folks.”

The Frisco Road exit will also lead to a 250-acre sports complex at Frisco Road and U.S. 66. The complex could have facilities for softball, baseball and soccer.

“Yukon didn’t have the facilities to accommodate the growing interest in those sports,” Mitchell said. “They were undersized. We didn’t have enough room for parking. There were teams going to other communities for tournaments, but that wasn’t the motivation.”

Mitchell said with the school district’s football field, the bar was set high for athletic facilities. Now, the city is trying to provide equal-quality venues and has partnered with a consortium of five companies to complete the plan. Those companies will help with financing, master planning, and the project’s development and construction.

“We will control what we can control,” Bottom said.

Speaking of that, the Cosby Ranch bldg in Mustang was going to be a live in treatment center for girls age 13-17. The City Council voted against the zoning approval b/c the center would not bring in any money to Mustang. I'm in complete agreement with that too. There are only 12 sq miles in the city limits and with churches buying up land and taking more of that area, where is the tax base going to come from? I hope the Mustang City council keeps this in mind going forward.

This thread probably could benefit from being merged with the other one.

Apparently this project is a back alive supposedly as a "Main Street USA " model per KOSU morning report.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Apparently this project is a back alive supposedly as a "Main Street USA " model per KOSU morning report.
    Like... Disney Land?

Anybody know who the broker is for this project?

Work is being done and a sign up with some of the tenants proposed.

Academy
    Petco
    5below

were just a few I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    Work is being done and a sign up with some of the tenants proposed.

Academy
    Petco
    5below

were just a few I saw.
    It had Marshall's, Ross, and Rack Room Shoes, that I can remember. Does anyone know of the full list of stores? Looks like that development will support a lot more than that.

Thread Information