Widgets Magazine

Thread: Market at Czech Hall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Market at Czech Village

Czech it out: GBT plans 450,000-square-foot retail center in OKC

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 11, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma County’s western neighbor, Canadian County, is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. The increasing population attracted GBT Realty Corp. to the area. That’s why company plans to build a $50 million, 450,000-square-foot retail development on 80 acres at the intersection of NW 10th Street, N. Czech Hall Road, and Interstate 40 near Yukon.

The Market at Czech Hall will be the company’s first time building a shopping center in Oklahoma. However, it has been leasing shopping centers since 2008. GBT Realty is still in the process of acquiring the land, which it expects to complete in spring 2015, with the center to open summer 2016.

GBT Realty Managing Director of the Shopping Center Division Jeff Pape said that, over the past year, the company has frequently heard from national retail tenants that they want to expand their presence in the Oklahoma City market.

“We see this as a great opportunity,” Pape said.

The center is 40-percent leased, with final negotiations underway with grocery and sporting goods anchor tenants. The area will also have five junior box stores and 11 outparcels for banks, restaurants and other service providers at the property’s front.

Pape said the company starts with its tenants and then decides on the space it needs.

“There’s been quite a bit of interest,” he said. “It’s been a very good response. We’re very pleased with the activity.”

He said it’s too early to give tenant names, though he said that a majority of the retailers have a presence in Oklahoma City. The company boasts of relationships with Publix Supermarkets, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Wal-Mart, Target, Academy Sports + Outdoors, Walgreens, Best Buy, Dollar General, Ross Dress for Less, Bed Bath and Beyond, Marshalls, PetSmart and Old Navy.

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President of Economic Development Kurt Foreman said the center confirms the growth that is happening in Canadian County. The Yukon School District, which includes some of western Oklahoma City, has grown from about 5,000 students in 2000 to 8,092 students in 2013. The high school was built four years ago with extra classrooms, but all the class space is filled now.

“It’s an attractive place for retail growth because of the numbers there,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity to bring more services to a region in the city that is growing.”

The I-40 corridor already has two shopping centers, the Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City and Westgate Marketplace. Foreman said those places serve different customers, so there will be room for this center, as well. Also, there are residential neighborhoods across the interstate from the Market on Czech Hall Road.

“It’s always positive to see retail growth in this part of Oklahoma City,” Foreman said.

I'm not kidding.

I hope somebody decides to use some of the space for a Polka Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I'm not kidding.

I hope somebody decides to use some of the space for a Polka Palace.
    Czech Hall is just a block away .....

Thread Information