Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Market at Czech Hall

Default Re: Market at Czech Village

I am really starting to worry about what cities are going to do when these big shopping centers start loosing all their big-box tenants because most operate under outdated business models and buying habits.

I suspect we will see more and more of these places empty out, similar to malls. But there are thousands of these things everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am really starting to worry about what cities are going to do when these big shopping centers start loosing all their big-box tenants because most operate under outdated business models and buying habits.

I suspect we will see more and more of these places empty out, similar to malls. But there are thousands of these things everywhere.
    Is that even happening? I am even seeing new department stores being built again along with new big box stores. It seems to me the market is maturing, but I don't see a dire crisis with these shopping centers. I'm sure there will always be people who prefer brick and mortar stores over internet shopping, I know I do. I never shop on the internet unless I have to.

Brick and mortar isn't going away, it's just that lots of these big-box anchor stores are already experiencing difficulties and it's only going to get worse.

Speaking of this BTW, I heard Von Maur is not performing well.

I'm predicting a point, though there may be some more pain to go through before we get there, where brick and mortar is going to experience a comeback. Perhaps not a large one, but the current model of "stock damn near nothing, tell people order it online and come back to pick it up in 3-7 days" is NOT going to work. They just go home and order it from Amazon. For some things, this works very well. To pick a random example, a brand name bottle of aspirin is the same at CVS as it is at Walgreens as it is at Walmart as it is on Amazon. Only the price differs, so people are fairly comfortable ordering online, knowing what they will get. But there are still a good number of items where people want to see the item first, or try it out. That's why they're in the store, and if you tell them sorry, go order it online, then they'll just go to the store that DOES stock the item. Eventually, the 'brain trusts' behind retail are going to figure this out and we'll see storefronts that actually have merchandise available again. And if we're really really lucky, they'll remember what customer service means and we'll see that come back too.

My 3 girls make sure all these stores stay in business.

Hooters just filed for their building permit.

Wait, huh? Two buildings are going up (and are pretty well along), and I thought one was Hooters and one was Cheddar's.

Just being back service merchandise model. Except instead of the product coming out from a conveyor belt from the warehouse behind the showroom, the purchase comes 2 day air from a DC. I’d do that for say, a 5-10% discount.

But honestly, I don’t buy things like office supplies, or certain items of clothing, just about anything I can put an ounce of trust into. I buy online. Why would I take time out of my day to go to (insert box store brand here) to shop for a tiny heater to go under my desk on super cold days, and pick from a selection of 3-4 products that might fit my need. When i can go to amazon.com and choose from dozens of choices, with hundreds of people reviewing why this one is best, and have it delivered to my office day after tomorrow? And all it took me was 5 minutes. I just bought my 4th flatscreen from a 3rd party, a fancy OLED, it came white glove freight and the gentleman brought it in, plugged it in, and we fully tested it before I signed. And I saved about $1,200 (granted it was a 2017 model) over retail. Gorgeous.

These days I pretty much only run to sams for dog food, paper goods, beverages, and chemicals. I even buy specialty tools on amazon because going to a supply house around town because without a house account makes the walk in customer gets hosed. Ever notice why there’s no prices on anything at places like Locke, whitton, a&m, contractor supply, etc?

The only time i seek out retail in the physical realm is for niche items and boutique shops. I worry for the brick & mortar monster stores too.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Wait, huh? Two buildings are going up (and are pretty well along), and I thought one was Hooters and one was Cheddar's.
    This is likely a 2nd permit for Hooters, interior finish out, etc.

I took these over a month ago and never posted them.

Hooters now has the signage on the outside walls.

Any word on what will occupy any of the other outparcel lots? I'm looking forward to seeing how the eastern part of the development towards Czech Hall is developed in the coming years.

^

I believe all the remaining pad sites are still for sale.

Hooters update, it is opening Monday April 23rd, 4pm.

I never got around to posting these...

It will be one of their new-style restaurants with huge TV's and a large patio.

That’s a pretty sharp concept. Seems like Buffalo Wild Wings should move in this direction as well.

Looks really bright in there. Well see if Hooters and Twin Peaks can coexist so close together.

Cheddar's opening just about one month after Hooters. Target opening date is May 22nd.

Drove by there today and they're going land clearing on Cornwell near the Cornwell entrance to the Market. Looks like they're getting ready to extend that road at the entrance as well.

Just from driving by, both Cheddar's and Hooters seem to be hoping most nights. Cheddar's was unbelievably packed last Sunday. Never been to Hooters but this concept definitely looks more inviting than the others in the metro. I just wished this development was paying taxes to Yukon and not OKC.

Longhorn Steakhouse just filed for a building permit for one of the parcels near Hooters and Cheddars.

Awesome. They are a good alternative to a Texas Roadhouse.

Looks like Schlotzsky's is coming to one of the out-parcels.

I don't think there is one of those on this side of town, another good variety option. This development is surprising me to some degree that they are adding some restaurants we haven't had over here, which is never a bad thing.

Thread Information