Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Market at Czech Hall

Default Re: Market at Czech Hall

As a resident of Yukon, I don't like that a lot of this new growth is in OKC limits, however they do go to Yukon schools and all of the added traffic. Something needs to be done along Garth Brooks and 10th, as those are by far the busiest corridors and traffic can be quite horrendous at 2pm on a week day. Part of me would like for Yukon and Mustang to somehow annex all of land away from OKC and the new border would be SW 15th or something, even though that might mean re-drawing school districts and causing all sorts of issues. I bet Yukon/Mustang could not expand utilities to account for this area, which is probably why Yukon and Mustang proper are not growing, but instead relying on this growth in OKC. It is just a tricky situation with many facets that affect life for both Yukon proper residents and these OKC hybrids moving in.

^

A large percentage of property tax goes to the school district in which it is located, regardless of the city.

Sales tax goes to the city in which the property is located.

I understand where the taxes go, and that at least the schools are being funded with those properties sending students. My main concern is with traffic and what will be done to improve the area with these new apartment developments coming online. I just don't want another Penn & Memorial situation.

One would think that with all of this growth we should have at least a transit connection for residents to the downtown hub or something as a secondary option for commuters. If the current road work projects have shown all of us commuting from the west is we need to look to ways of moving more people in a more efficient manner than one person per car!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    One would think that with all of this growth we should have at least a transit connection for residents to the downtown hub or something as a secondary option for commuters.
    Yukon's growth and increased traffic is following the suburban model perfectly. It is showing some interest in the Regional Transportation Authority's plan to offer some alternative transit options, but the suburban model demand that this never be suitable for primary use by the majority of residents. The American suburb is built for cars.

I understand where the taxes go, and that at least the schools are being funded with those properties sending students. My main concern is with traffic and what will be done to improve the area with these new apartment developments coming online. I just don't want another Penn & Memorial situation.

One would think that with all of this growth we should have at least a transit connection for residents to the downtown hub or something as a secondary option for commuters. If the current road work projects have shown all of us commuting from the west is we need to look to ways of moving more people in a more efficient manner than one person per car!!
    There is like three block of Yukon that follows classic urban design, basically the rest of the city is implicitly designed around every household needing one or more vehicles, so it is rare anyone who does not own a car is going to select to live in the region. There is not much a new apartment development can do to buck a trend since WW2 in this area. Plus outside of finally starting to have sidewalks required, things build since 2000 still tend to be worse than even 1960s era developments that entirely expect car ownership for sustaining public transport.

Even even just from the design of the shopping center at Czech Hall it would be difficult to build the apartment complex so most residence would be willing to walk there and back.

Plus it is not like even tying into the downtown transit hub works for most people to use regularly. OKC's transport system has pretty long times between buses across they entire system once people get there, partially since it extends way past the areas that were built up in a manor that is symbiotic to public transport, so they can cover a wider area of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I can't remember if it was Ch4 or Ch5 but one night this week they reported that Yukon had the 5th fastest growing zip code in the US. Feel free to fact check me lol.
    It was the 3rd. Hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just to the west of this shopping center along 10th, a large new apartment complex is planned along with what looks like a retail strip center.

This would be between the proposed car dealership and Arby's:

A ton of building permits pulled on this the last two days. Must be getting close.

I am seeing a lot of upset parents on Yukon PS social about how the schools at past capacity and what not. Our son is about a year out from starting school so it is becoming an issue we are starting to look at. I do wonder how many children come from these large apartment developments. At first thought I think of young singles or newly weds living in these places which lead me to believe not very many kids, especially school aged children will be all of a sudden going to Yukon schools. I would think the families would find detached homes once children get added to the mix. I welcome all of the new businesses going in here. I just hope Yukon and OKC work closer together to keep the traffic flowing.

There is also supposed to be another large complex by Crest. Is that still happening?
    Also when is the OU urgent care opening?

I am seeing a lot of upset parents on Yukon PS social about how the schools at past capacity and what not. Our son is about a year out from starting school so it is becoming an issue we are starting to look at. I do wonder how many children come from these large apartment developments. At first thought I think of young singles or newly weds living in these places which lead me to believe not very many kids, especially school aged children will be all of a sudden going to Yukon schools. I would think the families would find detached homes once children get added to the mix. I welcome all of the new businesses going in here. I just hope Yukon and OKC work closer together to keep the traffic flowing.
    It is kind of surreal they have hit capacity again, I only graduated like 20 years ago, and it seems like they have around doubled the classroom capacity from then.

Meh. Those same parents will likely vote against a measure to fund new schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It is kind of surreal they have hit capacity again, I only graduated like 20 years ago, and it seems like they have around doubled the classroom capacity from then.
    I graduated in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Meh. Those same parents will likely vote against a measure to fund new schools.
    For as long as I have known Yukon has never had issues with voting to extend bond issues for schools.

I graduated in 2010.
    I graduated in 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just to the west of this shopping center along 10th, a large new apartment complex is planned along with what looks like a retail strip center.

This would be between the proposed car dealership and Arby's:

I drove by there today, and they're staging construction equipment and it looks like they're circling much of the area with black excavating barrier. They might be getting ready to build both the car dealership and apartment complex at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I drove by there today, and they're staging construction equipment and it looks like they're circling much of the area with black excavating barrier. They might be getting ready to build both the car dealership and apartment complex at the same time.
    It’s the car dealership that’s mobilizing. The development you references has not started at all yet….although permits have been filed.

Wing Stop is going in the strip mall next to Slim Chickens. Yea another chicken place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Wing Stop is going in the strip mall next to Slim Chickens. Yea another chicken place.
    If only we could get a Nando's Peri Peri!! Haha

Work has started on Pub W/Neighborhood Jam just north of Sooner Care.

Car dealership has started to the west (last photo).

What's all the other ground work being done behind the main body of the Market? I'm referring to the middle of the top picture.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    What's all the other ground work being done behind the main body of the Market? I'm referring to the middle of the top picture.
    Apartments.

I'm not sure how to feel for the guy that owns and lives on the property behind the hotel.

It's amazing how much business Crest does.

You can see the number of cars in the photo and those shots were taken Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy15 View Post
    I'm not sure how to feel for the guy that owns and lives on the property behind the hotel.
    When he is ready to sell....they have greatly increased his land value though.

Thread Information