Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VZD's

Western Ave. VZD's

Didn't go very often but hate to lose this place

http://m.newsok.com/landmark-okc-res...rticle/5365493

Default Re: VZD's closing

Ah, bummer!

At 38 years, that's an exceptionally long run.

Real bummer. Haven't been there in awhile but had some fun times. Have they posted a reason?

$50,000 plus I unpaid taxes of various types. Owner cited health issues as well.

Shame. I've seen lots of good shows there. But the Tax Commission doesn't screw around when it comes to unpaid taxes.

I had my first (legal) mixed drink there the day I turned 21 -- saw many music acts there as well.

Sad to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    $50,000 plus I unpaid taxes of various types. Owner cited health issues as well.
    Thank you for the info. Hate to lose a touchstone like that. Everybody has a VZD's story or two.

8. Default Re: VZD's closing

Chad's working with someone to take over the brand/concept/space. Might not be the end for the brand. It is as far as Chad's ownership though.

You would think there is still money to be made at that place. Buddy was just there Fri night and said it was packed.

Blog Entries

And the Veazey Drug Store history goes much deeper than the bar.

11. Default Re: VZD's closing

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    It is not the first time they have been closed for taxes. In the early 1990.s The tax commission locked the doors for unpaid taxes. Bob Sullivan (he owns the building) took it over and opened it up until it was sold to new owners. Like Pete I had my firs mixed drink there except I had a fake id. I live in the neighborhood and have gone there since the 70's. I have seen it change hands several times for various reasons. I don't think it will be closed for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Chad's working with someone to take over the brand/concept/space. Might not be the end for the brand. It is as far as Chad's ownership though.
    I know a group that is discussing this as well. Might be the same group, but if not, I'm glad that it's generating so much interest this quickly!

13. Default Re: VZD's closing

I can't imagine the space stays empty for long. I hope the brand carries on, not just for its own history but also for its nod to OKC history and specifically Veazey's Drug. The menu was also pretty bulletproof for a lot of years. I would hate to see that change in favor of something chain-y, for instance. Just bummed for Chad, who put so much money and effort into it over the years.

Also a little bit concerned about some of the decor and such. I know when Makers closed the OTC forced an auction of EVERYTHING. There are some elements of VZD's that really should never leave that building.

14. Default Re: VZD's closing

That's a shame, it was a nice place to hang out without being trashy. I can't imagine why they wouldn't pay taxes with the volume of business that went through there though....weird.

If you've made a premeditated decision your going to shut and liquidize the LLC. Might as well drain the bank account and stiff the tax man. There is a bond on OTC liquor licenses so they'll get paid anyway. The bond has, after decades of payments, probably been paid 10 times over.

I was talking about this last night with someone close to the establishment. it is very sad to see them close down and have seen many great shows there. health problems were a factor but fact is the smoking ordinance really hurt them. going non smoking dropped their business considerably and they couldn't compete with bars and clubs in the area who didn't have to prohibit smoking. they were fine with going non-smoking but would have rather it been all bars to have an even playing frield since they did so much "club" business besides just food. but regardless I am sad to see it close its doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I was talking about this last night with someone close to the establishment. it is very sad to see them close down and have seen many great shows there. health problems were a factor but fact is the smoking ordinance really hurt them. going non smoking dropped their business considerably and they couldn't compete with bars and clubs in the area who didn't have to prohibit smoking. they were fine with going non-smoking but would have rather it been all bars to have an even playing frield since they did so much "club" business besides just food. but regardless I am sad to see it close its doors.
    I'm sad to see them close their doors as well, but it seems to me that they didn't do much in the way of adapting their business to the new non-smoking laws. I guess part of the charm of that place is the fact that it's the same as it was when I was younger, but when the business and legal environment changes, you have to find a way to change too.

My understanding is that ALL bars will be non-smoking at some point in Oklahoma. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". So to a certain extent, there will be a more even playing field. Hopefully they can get on a payment plan with the OTC. Most tax agencies will let you set up something like that. The question is, did they let it go too far in the collections stage that the OTC is unwilling to entertain the idea of paying in installments.

Everyone is STILL waiting on that non smoking in all bars.. its fails every year.

19. Default Re: VZD's closing

Chad spelled out the factors in a post on FB, which is how pretty much most of his friends, acquaintances and venue regulars found out about the closure, before the stories ran. According to his posts, in addition to the decline in business due to the smoking legislation he also was hit with 6 digit expenses related to ADA litigation and resultant building retrofits. He also mentioned the illness he experienced some time back, which was very legitimate and rallied his friends at the time. He just went through a rough patch, and I can only surmise he was robbing Peter to pay Paul to make ends meet, which is unfortunately not an uncommon band-aid in that business when they have fallen on rough times. Unless you have been close to a situation like that it's difficult to appreciate. Not everyone has heavy capital to draw on - especially those who are not a part of a larger group - and a good left hook from the world can be a knockout.

Regarding the smoking legislation, I think it hurt VZD's primarily because they operated more like a venue on weekends/evenings and were more dependent on bar business than a normal restaurant. Yes, they had great lunch/brunch business and early dinner business, but at night they were essentially a non-smoking bar with smoking venues like Sipango and Cock O' The Walk right down the street. Once someone popped across the street to smoke or a group agreed to go down the street to meet smoking friends, they were lost for the night.

HangryHippo Guest

I saw the worst live music ever at VZD's. I also had one of the finest cocktails I've ever tasted here. So, here's hoping it survives in some way because it's never bland at VZD's.

I don't understand smokers. "Yeah let's pay ridiculously high prices to smell bad and slowly kill ourselves."

all of my friends who smoke support the no smoking in Bars concept oddly enough.

Oklahoma needs to get with the majority of the rest of the country and western Europe and just ban smoking altogether from bars and restaurants, then everyone is playing on a levle field.

All the studies show that after a period of adjustment, business goes up as a result.

In this day and age, it's hard to imagine an enclosed bar (or any public space) that still allows people to smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Oklahoma needs to get with the majority of the rest of the country and western Europe and just ban smoking altogether from bars and restaurants, then everyone is playing on a levle field.

All the studies show that after a period of adjustment, business goes up as a result.

In this day and age, it's hard to imagine an enclosed bar (or any public space) that still allows people to smoke.
    100% agree.. when we have visitors from out of state they always say.. " eww you can smoke in bars".. we are really behind the curve

Thread Information