Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VZD's

Default Re: VZD's closing

I'm a fairly pretentious person by OKC standards, but I'm still hoping the "re-imagined menu" looks a lot like the old one. I've been missing my $3 happy hour chicken strip basket for far too long.

Default Re: VZD's

From the Gazette:

Comeback kid

After months of waiting, fans of beloved Western Avenue bar and restaurant VZD’s might see light at the end of the tunnel. Chef Eric Smith said the business, which closed its doors in 2014, should reopen by the end of July.

VZD’s, 4200 N. Western Ave., has undergone a lot of refurbishment, but Smith said the dividends promise to pay off for customers. Its long history as a retail space meant the bar was not ideally suited for restaurant use and needed upgrades to core systems, including electrics. Smith hopes the improvements will yield a more functional restaurant.

About 75 percent of the old menu remains, including burgers, chicken salad and blue plates specials. But by creating a Crown Heights neighborhood restaurant, Smith will incorporate several new, healthier menu options.

“That’s what we want it to be, and that’s what the people want it to be,” he said, “a day-in, day-out neighborhood restaurant.”

However, an entirely new concept from Smith is going in the space next to VZD’s. The Crown Room will be a 12-seat, one-table restaurant serving a tasting menu that will change monthly. The restaurant will employ three sommeliers, one each for Thursday, Friday and Saturday night services.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    However, an entirely new concept from Smith is going in the space next to VZD’s. The Crown Room will be a 12-seat, one-table restaurant serving a tasting menu that will change monthly. The restaurant will employ three sommeliers, one each for Thursday, Friday and Saturday night services.
    Sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Andon View Post
    Sounds familiar.
    Haha... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From the Gazette:

Comeback kid

After months of waiting, fans of beloved Western Avenue bar and restaurant VZD’s might see light at the end of the tunnel. Chef Eric Smith said the business, which closed its doors in 2014, should reopen by the end of July.

VZD’s, 4200 N. Western Ave., has undergone a lot of refurbishment, but Smith said the dividends promise to pay off for customers. Its long history as a retail space meant the bar was not ideally suited for restaurant use and needed upgrades to core systems, including electrics. Smith hopes the improvements will yield a more functional restaurant.

About 75 percent of the old menu remains, including burgers, chicken salad and blue plates specials. But by creating a Crown Heights neighborhood restaurant, Smith will incorporate several new, healthier menu options.

“That’s what we want it to be, and that’s what the people want it to be,” he said, “a day-in, day-out neighborhood restaurant.”

Pete, I find it incredible how you know this type of information!

I'm glad VZD's will stay open. I like their chicken salad.

6. Default Re: VZD's

Menu prep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VZD.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	11175

Not to derail, but any word on when Crown Room will be opening? I was hoping to book a special occasion at Nani, but since everything is on hold there, looks like Crown Room might be a cool substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    Menu prep.

Name:	VZD.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	11175
    Doesn't look like any of the VZD's food I remember...still haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing?

9. Default Re: VZD's

Getting closer:

Name:	11200613_1203701679646651_1900670085282900266_n.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	11318

Wow, looks really nice.

I bet they do very well; a refresh was overdue.

11. Default Re: VZD's

I'm gonna miss that rail that kept people from rushing my bar seat to wave cash in a bartender's face in an attempt to get drinks tasters. The interesting thing to me about VZD's was its almost complete flip-flop from elite luncheon by day to dive bar / rock venue by night. The latter was especially true when we could smoke in there. But it doesn't (at least from what I see on this board) look to be the direction of the new dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    I'm gonna miss that rail that kept people from rushing my bar seat to wave cash in a bartender's face in an attempt to get drinks tasters. The interesting thing to me about VZD's was its almost complete flip-flop from elite luncheon by day to dive bar / rock venue by night. The latter was especially true when we could smoke in there. But it doesn't (at least from what I see on this board) look to be the direction of the new dynasty.
    Yea, it was kind of odd the first time I went there for lunch with co-workers, having only been their for concerts in college before that.

They have quietly reopened:

Can't wait to see the new menu.

Looks like the stage is gone. They've added TVs above the windows that overlook Western and the cabinets along the wall that use to have a bunch of pharmacy stuff in gone. A new ceiling and lighting. Alot of what made VZD what it was is gone IMHO. Oh well.

This is circulating on social media.

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal. But seems to be attracting some negative attention.

17. Default Re: VZD's

Quote Originally Posted by harp23 View Post
    Looks like the stage is gone. They've added TVs above the windows that overlook Western and the cabinets along the wall that use to have a bunch of pharmacy stuff in gone. A new ceiling and lighting. Alot of what made VZD what it was is gone IMHO. Oh well.
    Are you sure about the cabinet? There was always some wall space between the door and the cabinet. I hope not.

There was some space for sure but I thought they ran at least far enough towards the door to be seen in this picture. I wonder if they covered up the sky light in the ceiling and I wonder how the upstairs is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Are you sure about the cabinet? There was always some wall space between the door and the cabinet. I hope not.

19. Default Re: VZD's

The space between the cabinet and door has always been there. It used to have a magazine rack and lots of gig posters. Now there is one big image of the RHCP, which I thought was actually a nice homage to the place's history.

Stopped by today. Didn't go upstairs but it looks about the same. The stage is gone, clock above bar remains, old menu board gone, "bum rush" rail around bar is gone, didn't even think about looking for skylight. Cabinet on N wall remains, but all of the old meds and stuff are gone. The glass in the cabinet is now mirrored, and several openings have TVs.

Overall it will take a little bit of getting used to, but still essentially feels like the same place, just...different.

From Urbanized:

They kept their chicken salad sandwich!

Went today. We took the wild side of the menu. Most everything sucked. The thing that sucked the least, French dip, but who puts French dip on a croissant?? It was so weird: as if some guy who worked at johnnies came up with a menu then NO ONE tasted it to tell them what was wrong. Or everyone smiled and nodded and said "ooo it's so yummy, don't change a thing."

I went recently. I had a cheeseburger with onion rings and also tried the Super Bowl dip. It was all excellent.

24. Default Re: VZD's

Finally made it by here yesterday afternoon. The remodel looks very good and clean.

We tried the Chinatown Chicken Wings which were excellent.

Name:	IMG_2433.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	12017

Was in there a couple of weeks ago for lunch and it was only about half full and it was crazy loud.

I've really grown to dislike places with such bad acoustics, and there are a bunch of them.

Thread Information