Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mulligan Flats, Sand Town and similar areas of OKC - Was Boswell, OK

Prunepicker Guest

Default Mulligan Flats, Sand Town and similar areas of OKC - Was Boswell, OK

This should have been the name of the original site.

You can visit the Boswell, OK thread for the first few posts.

Feel free to contribute to the older communities and their history.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Mulligan Flats, Sand Town and similar areas of OKC - Was Boswell, OK

I was reading that the Chickasaws had slaves well into the 20th Century. Sand Town
    was created by Blacks that escaped Chickasaw, a civilized tribe, slavery.

Default Re: Mulligan Flats, Sand Town and similar areas of OKC - Was Boswell, OK

Speaking of Mulligan Flats, does anyone know who "J.O." referred to? (Trivia)

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Speaking of Mulligan Flats, does anyone know who "J.O." referred to? (Trivia)
    Jesse?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Jesse?
    I know who Jesse was, not Jesse. Jerry Oliver was who J.O. referred to. He was the biggest, baddest guy from Mulligan's Flats.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I know who Jesse was, not Jesse. Jerry Oliver was who J.O. referred to. He was
    the biggest, baddest guy from Mulligan's Flats.
    I can't say that I ever heard of JO. When was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I can't say that I ever heard of JO. When was that?
    J.O. reigned in the 60's, mostly. He was a big, strapping guy who was the star pitcher on a prominent OKC fast pitch softball team. When The King and His Court came to town, he pitched against the famous Eddie Feigner and mostly kept up with him. But when J.O. started pitching behind his back and under his leg, Eddie threatened to walk out, so J.O. stopped. He could whip most of the other toughs from Mulligan Flats and did regularly.

I recall living down there by the river just south of Reno Street and east of Lincoln Blvd as a small child. There was a community out house for each four houses. The toilet had a wooden seat that would lower down a bit and allow water to run thru it when you set down. I called it "The Squeezer" and I was sort of afraid of it. We did have dirt floors. My mom had little sticks so things would stay put on the kitchen table and not slide off. We called this area Sand Town. We didn't stay there very long before moving to Midwest City in 1950. I do remember the City bulldozing the area. There was a business very near that made red rags. It had an unusual odor. Not bad, but unusual.

Jerry Oliver, could also hit. Worked for TG&Y. "Could throw through a car wash and not get it wet"

This all being told to me by a buddy... BTW.
    He wants to know if you knew the best "third baseman in the league"?

Did the place that made the rags have the word "Chief" in the name? This is ringing a bell for me.

I think so. Long time ago! Either Big Chief or Red Chief. Right there on Reno Street. Mostly the smell. Sort of like some one burned a shirt with the iron.

Did Red Chief move into the old Presto Lite battery building on S lee and about 4th? It later burned down.

Chief is out on S Eastern now I think.

Yes. Ron....can't remember his last name right now, but I will post it when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Jerry Oliver, could also hit. Worked for TG&Y. "Could throw through a car wash and not get it wet"

This all being told to me by a buddy... BTW.
    He wants to know if you knew the best "third baseman in the league"?
    Ron.....what was his last name?

Thread Information