Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52

Thread: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

  1. #26

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Once upon a time . . . a long, long time ago . . . in a galaxy far, far away . . . I was a bartender.
    I learned the difference between "Private Clubs", "Package Stores" and "Total B.S."
    COOPs contribution to the cause merits consideration.
    IMHO.

  2. #27

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    So, we just picked up some odds and ends at the local Buy For Less. I'm not sure if it's an odd or and end but among whichever or whatever was a four pack of the Negative Split. I just opened one and poured it into a brandy snifter. I'm not a big fan of "flavored" beer but this stuff is definitely drinkable. The "flavoring" is just a hint of what the can says are "fruit flavored esters." It's got a "cloudy" wheat beer color that some may find off-putting, but that's their problem. It's refreshing and tasty. I'd buy it again. Even if it's just that wussy 3.2 stuff.

    btw: the other day, at Homeland, I saw a four pack of what looked like some version of stout called "Briefcase". I'll have to give that a try as well. Eventually.

  3. #28

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Briefcase Brown is easily my favorite of these beers. I really like the flavor.

  4. Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Briefcase Brown isn't a stout; it's a brown ale. Probably the best-known brown ale is Newcastle, but BB has considerably better flavor. It's not especially hops-forward, so should be palatable to even most casual beer drinkers.

  5. #30

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    So, we just picked up some odds and ends at the local Buy For Less. I'm not sure if it's an odd or and end but among whichever or whatever was a four pack of the Negative Split. I just opened one and poured it into a brandy snifter. I'm not a big fan of "flavored" beer but this stuff is definitely drinkable. The "flavoring" is just a hint of what the can says are "fruit flavored esters." It's got a "cloudy" wheat beer color that some may find off-putting, but that's their problem. It's refreshing and tasty. I'd buy it again. Even if it's just that wussy 3.2 stuff.

    btw: the other day, at Homeland, I saw a four pack of what looked like some version of stout called "Briefcase". I'll have to give that a try as well. Eventually.
    RM,
    Actually, it says "Fruit-forward esters", not "Fruit flavored esters". Even after googling it, I'm not sure what it is saying. I found this about wine - "Fruit forward is actually a term that describes the aroma of wine, rather than the taste of wine which is usually referred to in terms of its sweetness.". It makes sense to me because I really didn't catch that "hint" of flavoring you experienced. Of course aroma has a lot to do with taste. I bought a four pack and I'm not thrilled about the taste but it's okay. I need to try the Spare Rib that you mentioned in an earlier post.
    C. T.

  6. #31

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Getting a quality true Stout would be difficult at only 4.0 ABV. Breefcase Brown is a great brown ale though, much better than Newcastle in my opinion.

  7. #32

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    RM,
    Picked up a four pack of Coop's Spare Rib at the Buy For Less at Hefner and Penn today and I like it. For my taste, much better than the Negative Split.
    C. T.

  8. #33

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    Picked up a four pack of Coop's Spare Rib at the Buy For Less at Hefner and Penn today and I like it. For my taste, much better than the Negative Split.
    C. T.
    It is difficult to argue with that.
    In any case, or four pack, it for sure isn't a stout.
    It isn't even a brown ale for that matter.
    I think Spare Rib wins.
    CoopWise,
    at 3.2

  9. Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Neither Spare Rib no Negative Split (the only beers mentioned in the post you responded to) claim to be brown ales.

  10. #35

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    I tried the Briefcase Brown and Spare rib. I will predicate this post by saying they are better than the normal grocery store swill we get in Oklahoma. I liked the brown, but I think a good Newcastle is more enjoyable to me. The Spare Rib was good too, but I am not a fan of hoppy beer. Still both good options. It is the back end of a holiday weekend so I will try the Negative Split soon.

  11. #36

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    I tried the Briefcase Brown and Spare rib. I will predicate this post by saying they are better than the normal grocery store swill we get in Oklahoma. I liked the brown, but I think a good Newcastle is more enjoyable to me. The Spare Rib was good too, but I am not a fan of hoppy beer. Still both good options. It is the back end of a holiday weekend so I will try the Negative Split soon.
    ABryant,
    Where did you get the Briefcase Brown? I would like to try it.
    C. T.

  12. #37

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    ABryant,
    Where did you get the Briefcase Brown? I would like to try it.
    C. T.
    ABryant,
    Never mind, I went back a page and found out where to purchase it.
    C. T.

  13. #38

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Although it really chaffs my ass to admit it . . . The 3.2 version of The Brewers' Art (as noted by MrUrbanityPionrreer) is, indeed, a briefcase brown ale. As compared to a formal stout. And, for that, I am thankful. Now: Back to the redux of seafood chowder ala Jacques n' John. (may I be excused, con su permiso?)

  14. #39

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Semi-Interesting Sidebar: While dining--and waiting to dine/get seated at the coolest pizza place on North Western (the Wedge)--my Grand Nephew (or whatever) on his way back to service in the vicinity of Wichita Falls selected two different versions of COOP products. I enjoyed the output of Anthem (Uroborous Stout)I was not required to provide proof of age. It tempered my annoyance at having to wait for a table.

  15. #40

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Semi-Interesting Sidebar: While dining--and waiting to dine/get seated at the coolest pizza place on North Western (the Wedge)--my Grand Nephew (or whatever) on his way back to service in the vicinity of Wichita Falls selected two different versions of COOP products. I enjoyed the output of Anthem (Uroborous Stout)I was not required to provide proof of age. It tempered my annoyance at having to wait for a table.
    All the cans of Anthem I've had have been really good, haven't been able to try their bottled/tap stuff, though. One of their founders left recently, so hopefully they can keep on going with their normal plans they have after that speed bump...

  16. #41

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Anybody know if Walgreen's or Cash Saver sells these?

  17. #42

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Haven't seen them at Walgreens. Super Bowl party planning didn't go well for ya?

  18. #43

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Haven't seen them at Walgreens. Super Bowl party planning didn't go well for ya?
    Don't watch football, and never buy beer from any place other than a liquor store, so not a problem for me. Brother apparently didn't plan and I didn't want to take my good beer to their get-together and have them drink it all.

  19. #44

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Smart

  20. #45

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Turns out he got some kind of Bud and Miller Lite, but my aunt had gone to Uptown and bought some ltd edition bottled Coop (did not know they did bottles) - can't remember the name, but it was a Peach Berliner Weisse, not bad, very cloudy and tangy, so that was decent (along with a couple I brought of my own - Atwater Vanilla Java Porter and Santa Fe Brewing's Gold).

  21. #46

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Will Coop discontinue their 3.2 beers after they can sell their full-strength in grocery stores, etc.?

  22. #47

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    I live in DFW and the gas station across the street (which has an incredible selection of beers) carries four Coop beers. I often stop in and pick up a F5 or Horny Toad 6-pack. I keep asking for them to carry Elevator Wheat, but I think that's on Coop's end. Anyway, when I went in the other day, the owner sold me on some limited edition Coop stout they just got in. I remember when Coops started when I lived in OKC so it's cool how they've grown.

  23. #48

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Will Coop discontinue their 3.2 beers after they can sell their full-strength in grocery stores, etc.?
    Hopefully so. I don't see 3.2. beer having much of a market after the law goes into effect. Horny Toad and Elevator Wheat serve the "session beer" niche. The COOP 3.2 beers aren't very good, but it still beats 3.2 Bud products if you are out of beer and need it on a Sunday or on a weekday after 9PM.

  24. #49

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Byrons has New Belgium beer now, not sure who else has it. I couldn't find the general beer thread.

  25. #50

    Default Re: COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

    Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Byrons has New Belgium beer now, not sure who else has it. I couldn't find the general beer thread.
    I saw an ad somewhere (Facebook, maybe? I don't remember) for Vice that showed New Belgium beers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Producers Coop
    By Pete in forum Development & Buildings
    Replies: 1609
    Last Post: 09-26-2023, 08:03 PM
  2. COOP Ale Works
    By metro in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM
  3. A Former Bank of America employee reveals how customers were exploited
    By Steve in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 09:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO