Widgets Magazine

Thread: Jimmy's Round Up Cafe

Prunepicker Guest

Default Jimmy's Round Up Cafe

This isn't Haute Cusine. It's a diner on SW 59th and S Blackwelder.

Jimmy's is a basic diner. Nothing fancy. The rolls are fantastic! I also like the
    Chicken Fried Steak and the Turkey and Dressing. The place is busy and the
    floor can be a little messy but the food is very good. It's a walk back in time.

Default Re: Jimmy's Round Up Cafe

Have you ever tried their fried pies? They use to advertise them all the time and I keep meaning to stop for one.

I am not particularly wild about the pies but they're okay - I'm usually too full after a meal to appreciate them. Their rolls - with honey butter - are fantastic. I've never had a meal there that wasn't outstanding. Good, old style diner with a big menu, big portions, breakfast all day and we've always had friendly waitstaff.

Thanks for the reply. I will skip the pies and try the rolls. My grandfather who passed away a few years ago used to go once a week to eat there. The staff were very kind to him. They always helped him with the doors (he used two canes as a walker would make him look "old" ) and would take the time to chat with him.

^

That type of consideration makes we want to give them my business.

And certainly, these family diner places are a dying breed.

Been there once. Was okay... Bacon and eggs and flapjacks can only be cooked so many different ways.

True. But find one right way and the need to experiment comes to a close.

In the many times I've eaten there I've found the food to be good but not spectacular. Certainly many posters would turn their noses up at it. Don't get me wrong the food is fine; it's the atmosphere and the "welcome back" attitude of the staff that makes it special. Just my opinion.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Have you ever tried their fried pies? They use to advertise them all the time and I keep
    meaning to stop for one.
    I'm sure they're very good.

When I first heard of the Fried Pies I was hoping the pies to be meals. Like a pot roast
    pot pie or some akin. I don't order dessert very often after a meal.

Maybe I'll splurge next time if my lovely cousin is with me.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    ... I'm usually too full after a meal to appreciate them. Their rolls - with honey
    butter - are fantastic. I've never had a meal there that wasn't outstanding. Good,
    old style diner with a big menu, big portions, breakfast all day and we've always
    had friendly waitstaff.
    Where's the LIKE?

I agree. I'm particular to the Chicken Fried Steak and the Turkey and Dressing.
    Being a former South Sider I'm hoping to run into lost friends.

It's change all old-fashioned foods outdated. They need to replaced new revision foods.

2Lanez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dafonso7 View Post
    It's change all old-fashioned foods outdated. They need to replaced new revision foods.
    What da fonso?

Quote Originally Posted by Dafonso7 View Post
    "Use your words"

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    "Use your words"
    I think he meant he wants maybe a gluten free menu, or maybe something hip and trendy like a chicken strip stuffed in a waffle, or a average street taco that is over priced with a really cool name.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I think he meant he wants maybe a gluten free menu, or maybe something hip and trendy like a chicken strip stuff in a waffle, or a average street taco that is over priced with a really cool name.
    What they really need, is new carpet...... The last time I was there the carpet was slick from grease and it had a musty smell... The rolls are still the best in town, but the rest of his food is still IMO just Ok....

It's not the best looking place on the inside but the food is delicious. Chicken fried steak is one of the best in the state. The rolls are worth going for alone. The pies as stated aren't that great but go for the CFS, rolls and sides.

For a good chicken fried steak nothing beats Kendall's in Noble. Kendall's Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    For a good chicken fried steak nothing beats Kendall's in Noble. Kendall's Restaurant
    I've been there several times and I love their CFS, but I just read something about "The Diner" in Norman and I wonder what there CFS is like. I plan on giving it a try with some friends.
    C. T.

"The diner" changed hands and its lost all charm. Last time we went we did a 180 and went to syrup. A double disappointment.

Thread Information