Widgets Magazine

Thread: Airport Tunnel Project

Default Airport Tunnel Project

The airport is in the process of remodeling the pedestrian tunnel that connect the terminal building with the parking garages.

They will be installing new way-finding elements, LED lighting and 39 video monitors that will mimic airplane windows and show scenes as if you were in the air.

Default Re: Airport Tunnel Project

This is really needed. That tunnel is quite depressing to walk through in its current state

Nice - though they also need something that shocks the people that just stand on the moving walkway like it's some kind of State Fair ride.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCinsomniac View Post
    Nice - though they also need something that shocks the people that just stand on the moving walkway like it's some kind of State Fair ride.
    Roller skates?

No issue with people who stand, so long as they do not stand in the middle. I almost feel bad when my somewhat girthy momentum sends someone bouncing off the sides like a ball off a pinball cushion.

I keed of course, well kinda, sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    No issue with people who stand, so long as they do not stand in the middle. I almost feel bad when my somewhat girthy momentum sends someone bouncing off the sides like a ball off a pinball cushion.

You know it's fun. I do the same thing.

7. Default Re: Airport Tunnel Project

They need to put signs above that says walk left stand right, This is pretty common practice and knowledge elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The airport is in the process of remodeling the pedestrian tunnel that connect the terminal building with the parking garages.

They will be installing new way-finding elements, LED lighting and 39 video monitors that will mimic airplane windows and show scenes as if you were in the air.
    Do you know the timeline of construction?

They've already started.

Not sure of the completion date.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They've already started.

Not sure of the completion date.
    Oh, nice. I was there Sunday and didn't see anything. I guess I'll get a surprise when I get home tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    This is really needed. That tunnel is quite depressing to walk through in its current state
    I think the project is wonderful but I have to say that walking in that tunnel has never depressed me. I just don't give it any thought at all. At least this will make people have a little interest in the surroundings.

12. Default Re: Airport Tunnel Project

The place always seemed to be in disrepair to me even right after the last remodel. The paint was always scratched up, the tile always had cracks, just sort of felt dingy. I'm glad they're doing something more than just slapping more paint on it. Very interesting idea with the "windows". It would be nice to have a flight board about mid-way as well so you can see if something's going on with your flight. For those of us that pre-check, it's always a dash to the board post-security to see what's changed....and maybe i'll find out I don't have to rush as much if there was a delay.

There has been a water leakage issue that they are also addressing.

BTW, the water problem is the work being done now; the cosmetic stuff will come later.

They also awarded a contract for new terminal, roadway, and parking signage, I posted some graphics in the WRWA thread. So that should be starting soon also.

Walked down there today and nothing really going on from what I saw. No major construction yet or anything. They just had a moving sidewalk shutdown, but I think that's been down for a while.

16. Default Re: Airport Tunnel Project

I walked through the tunnel yesterday and the moving sidewalk was shutdown as well with parts everywhere. It got me to thinking that the moving sidewalk is probably broken 50% of the time i walk through it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    I walked through the tunnel yesterday and the moving sidewalk was shutdown as well with parts everywhere. It got me to thinking that the moving sidewalk is probably broken 50% of the time i walk through it.
    Actually I find that situation common in moving sidewalks in numerous airports.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    They need to put signs above that says walk left stand right, This is pretty common practice and knowledge elsewhere.
    I liked this more than just a sign

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

Walk left; stand right
    Walk left; stand right
    Walk left; stand right

I learned this really quick earlier this year while visiting DC.

20. Default Re: Airport Tunnel Project

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Walk left; stand right
    Walk left; stand right
    Walk left; stand right

I learned this really quick earlier this year while visiting DC.
    And the full time Metro riders do not mess around either. They will plow you down if you are standing left.

Would also be nice to add this Schiphol touch:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwN7AunJfw

Absurd how many people I've seen tripping over themselves, their own bags. Then of course you have to hurdle over 3-4 people to safely exit the walkway or escalator. Must have a lot of first-time moving-walkway users here.

The screens are on and they look nice. I'll try and get a video and some pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The screens are on and they look nice. I'll try and get a video and some pics soon.
    Really? I was just there two weeks ago and didn't notice them. I'll have to pay more attention when I go back in a few more weeks.

Yeah it was pretty cool. I really liked it.

Thread Information