Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Oklahoma Economy

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I am also thinking it isn't just no income tax that draws people to Texas but I am sure it helps.. Population and workforce probably help that as well. I am trying to compare us Okies to similar states of population and workforce.
    That's fair. I always forget Texas is a whale, and an outlier for most states. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    That's fair. I always forget Texas is a whale, and an outlier for most states. Lol
    Hey, I love Texas and their way of life but ya... a 107 billion dollar budget versus our 8 billion makes it a bit tough for comparison....

I think increasing income tax would have a negative effect on the economy. Texas has no state income tax, and look at all the companies they lure in because of it.
    But California...

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    But California...
    But Washington state...

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Hey, I love Texas and their way of life but ya... a 107 billion dollar budget versus our 8 billion makes it a bit tough for comparison....
    You do understand it’s proportional right? Like they have 30 million people versus 4, they have to build highways for 4 mega cities plus a tremendous amount of rural areas.

The thing that is most obvious to me is that we should be using the bulk of our MAPS slush fund to attract solid companies with well-paying jobs.

It’s too bad that we plan to squander a good portion of it on 30 year mortgages for homeless folks, a new horse stadium (that gets used like 10 times per year), and a little league soccer stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    The thing that is most obvious to me is that we should be using the bulk of our MAPS slush fund to attract solid companies with well-paying jobs.

It’s too bad that we plan to squander a good portion of it on 30 year mortgages for homeless folks, a new horse stadium (that gets used like 10 times per year), and a little league soccer stadium.
    So you want to make MAPS a Slush fund? You think the voters would go for that? Otherwise, MAPS has been successful because it has been for capital projects. Don't taint MAPS with that, just have a whole new sales tax for it.

So you want to make MAPS a Slush fund? You think the voters would go for that? Otherwise, MAPS has been successful because it has been for capital projects. Don't taint MAPS with that, just have a whole new sales tax for it.
    i would prefer for this version to be impactful. And it’s become obvious that we’ve run out of decent capital projects if we’re trying to throw money at ideas that have been tried and failed miserably in much wealthier cities (see, e.g., Seattle and San Francisco).

We’re setting ourselves up for a future MAPS where the majority of the “projects” involve covering the unfunded liabilities created by this MAPS. “Uh, hey guys, we really, really need MAPS 5 to pass because we poor boyed the endowments on the homeless housing, mental health care facilities, and youth centers. We’ll need half a B to cover those items this round. And we’ll need a B to cover them in MAPS 6. #Loveyourokc!”

Sick, bros!

Blog Entries

Again, where will additional revenue come from? Give them some ideas, rather than constantly bash.
    From fully legalizing marijuana. Colorado got $266.5 million in tax revenue from it in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    From fully legalizing marijuana. Colorado got $266.5 million in tax revenue from it in 2018.
    Colorado has high taxes on marijuana, especially for recreational... being that our laws were written and enacted by a signature petition, we have some of the most liberal medical marijuana laws in the nation along with some of the lowest taxes... you can’t expect the same kind of revenue for the state...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Colorado has high taxes on marijuana, especially for recreational... being that our laws were written and enacted by a signature petition, we have some of the most liberal medical marijuana laws in the nation along with some of the lowest taxes... you can’t expect the same kind of revenue for the state...
    It wouldn't hurt though. A lot of revenue goes towards the medical industry because of the need to pay a doctor to get a prescription for a license.

That said you have to assume the number of states where it's legal will go up which will hurt Colorados number in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It wouldn't hurt though. A lot of revenue goes towards the medical industry because of the need to pay a doctor to get a prescription for a license.

That said you have to assume the number of states where it's legal will go up which will hurt Colorados number in the long run.
    There is no question about that, lots of people in surrounding states driving to Colorado and contributing to their sales...but you could very well see a reverse effect, with our lower taxes, the ease of getting a medical marijuana card and the downward pressure on prices because of so many growers and over supply, you are very likely to see consumers from surrounding states now coming to Oklahoma...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    There is no question about that, lots of people in surrounding states driving to Colorado and contributing to their sales...but you could very well see a reverse effect, with our lower taxes, the ease of getting a medical marijuana card and the downward pressure on prices because of so many growers and over supply, you are very likely to see consumers from surrounding states now coming to Oklahoma...
    Good point. I also believe this is why Oklahoma needs to pass recreational use immediately. The amount of Texas dollars that would flood into the Oklahoma economy would be unreal. At least until the rest of the states caught up with full legalization.

From Tulsa World:

“ Downturn in state gross receipts may signal tough times ahead after November declines in energy, sales tax revenue collections

Gross receipts to the state treasury fell in November for the first time in 2˝ years, an ominous sign for Oklahoma's economy, state Treasurer Randy McDaniel reported Thursday.

“Lower energy prices are having a significant influence on gross production tax receipts,” McDaniel said in a press release. “The recent large layoffs in the energy sector impact both families and the overall economy."

November gross receipts totaled $989.7 million, or 4.2% less than for the same month a year ago. It was the first year-over-year decrease since March 2017.“

Read more here: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...21adee6f4.html

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You do understand it’s proportional right? Like they have 30 million people versus 4, they have to build highways for 4 mega cities plus a tremendous amount of rural areas.
    Given the numbets above, it's nowhere near proportional. Proportional would give Texas a $64 billion budget. If it's $107 billion, its significantly higher per resident. There are also savings just by having a higher population that can be realized.

Healthcare is a robust sector. It's hard for hospitals to get excited about moving here when no Medicaid expansion. I believe OU CEO Chuck Spicer had a convo with the legislature about how much it was costing OU medical center to care for uninsured.

Fortunately I think that’s about to change

Thread Information