Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Oklahoma Economy

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    If that is the case the OP of the link should have posted the article from wallet hub. Zerohedge is not news source, it should be blacklisted, its like posting an infowars link and expecting to be taken seriously.
    I seem to recall Media Matters getting posted on here recently. Just saying.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I seem to recall Media Matters getting posted on here recently. Just saying.
    Media Matters is definitely a left leaning biased source of information. To try to equate them to the same level of bat **** insane as inforwars or zerohedge is wildly disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Media Matters is definitely a left leaning biased source of information. To try to equate them to the same level of bat **** insane as inforwars or zerohedge is wildly disingenuous.
    Really? infowars I will give you, but I thought zerohedge (which I admittedly am not familiar with since I thought it must have had something to do with finance) was no more crazy than MMFA.

Speaking of MMFA, not sure if the guy was trolling or not but the guy that runs it was spouting off on Twitter how AR-15 stood for Assault Rifle and it was numbered 15 because it was the 15th gun ever invented. After being confronted for being an obvious moron, he backs up by saying he had several "troops" confirm this.

Zero Hedge, back in the day, was a great insider tool for news in the finance industry. I dislike their use of Tyler Durden as the name for in house submissions, as most of the folks I've encountered who are obsessed with Fight Club tend to be your MRA neckbeards.

However, as they've aged, and expanded, they've not aged well.

Oklahoma economy outlook upgrade:

https://kfor.com/2019/10/24/rating-a...nomic-outlook/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I did not vote for Stitt but so far I think he’s done a good job. HUGE fan of a $2 billion cookie jar.

Putting $2 billion in savings when we could have spent that to increase teacher pay was a huge mistake. We're still at 3,000+ emergency certifications and counting. DOC is still a dangerous place to be for prisoners and guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Putting $2 billion in savings when we could have spent that to increase teacher pay was a huge mistake. We're still at 3,000+ emergency certifications and counting. DOC is still a dangerous place to be for prisoners and guards.
    Fair point. However with the oil and gas industry in the current state it’s in here, I like not throwing caution to the wind.

As RunOKC mentioned, with the O&G revenue being far lower than we thought (who knew tying our revenues to O&G would be bad?!?!) having some money in savings is actually good, since we would have to cut funding next year anyway.

They’ve gotten close to a 20% bump the past two years. It’s not like they were neglected.

But to be fair that 20% was to make up for no raises for 10 years, increased class sizes, as well as other shortcomings.

Oops my bad. 28 years. Thanks Mid.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    They’ve gotten close to a 20% bump the past two years. It’s not like they were neglected.
    They hadn't had a significant increase since 1990. And it was a 13% increase according to the Tulsa World.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/teac...e9dbddbb4.html

Texas just passed a $5,000 increase for its teachers, we're still well behind. And of course, when teachers add benefits, the cost to cover a spouse or child is enough to cover rent at a decent apartment. Things are not fine.

And you just ignore the issues DOC is having. It's not a safe place to be a prisoner or to be an employee. The State needs to stop acting like an oil and gas oligarchy and start working for everyone.

They hadn't had a significant increase since 1990. And it was a 13% increase according to the Tulsa World.

Texas just passed a $5,000 increase for its teachers, we're still well behind. And of course, when teachers add benefits, the cost to cover a spouse or child is enough to cover rent at a decent apartment. Things are not fine.

And you just ignore the issues DOC is having. It's not a safe place to be a prisoner or to be an employee. The State needs to stop acting like an oil and gas oligarchy and start working for everyone.
    So where do you suppose the state go for extra money? It is easy to bemoan and complain, but where can the state go to increase revenues, and further the economy more than it is?

They got another $1500 (? maybe it was $1200) this past session. I was speaking to entry level. Which went from 30,000 to 36,000.

1. It’s never enough for teachers. They’ll always complain.
    2. The point was they aren’t neglected. We ignored for a very long time, but recently there’s been some action.
    3. It’s not an O&G oligarchy we’re actually more dependent on O&G the more GPT tax rate goes up. If anything it’s a rural oligarchy which is why property taxes are so low.

Blog Entries

They got another $1500 (? maybe it was $1200) this past session. I was speaking to entry level. Which went from 30,000 to 36,000.

1. It’s never enough for teachers. They’ll always complain.
    2. The point was they aren’t neglected. We ignored for a very long time, but recently there’s been some action.
    3. It’s not an O&G oligarchy we’re actually more dependent on O&G the more GPT tax rate goes up. If anything it’s a rural oligarchy which is why property taxes are so low.
    There is nothing wrong with Oklahoma being competitive in teacher pay with neighboring states, which means not near at the bottom but not near the top is needed since cost of living is higher in Colorado and Texas, especially in the major metros.

My guess is that Republican state legislators will be more interested in resuming cutting income taxes than finish fully restoring cut spending in the various state bureaucracies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Oklahoma being competitive in teacher pay with neighboring states, which means not near at the bottom but not near the top is needed since cost of living is higher in Colorado and Texas, especially in the major metros.

My guess is that Republican state legislators will be more interested in resuming cutting income taxes than finish fully restoring cut spending in the various state bureaucracies.
    Again, where will additional revenue come from? Give them some ideas, rather than constantly bash.

Here's an unpopular hot take. Raise property taxes. It's less regressive than raising sales tax and more narrow than raising income tax. Cost of living in this state is low mainly because of housing cost. Property tax flows into the area education coffers.
    PS. I'm a homeowner. A raise in property tax would hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Here's an unpopular hot take. Raise property taxes. It's less regressive than raising sales tax and more narrow than raising income tax. Cost of living in this state is low mainly because of housing cost. Property tax flows into the area education coffers.
    PS. I'm a homeowner. A raise in property tax would hit me.
    Property taxes are the best way to fund the state.

1. They’re stable. Property rises slowly but rarely falls by like 10%, people’s income can in a state such as OK a lot of the high earners are in the cyclical O&G business.
    2. If you don’t want to pay as much, buy a smaller house.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma Economy

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Again, where will additional revenue come from? Give them some ideas, rather than constantly bash.
    Raise taxes, as said by Edmond Hausfrau (I'm also a homeowner). Not sure if it needs to be property, income or sales, but property and income might be best. You get what you pay for and if you pay crap levels for things (not just teachers, but infrastructure, social services, etc.), you get crap levels, hence us being almost constantly in the bottom 5 on lists that measure good quality of life items. I'd gladly pay more taxes if it meant better street striping, streetlights, teacher pay, more social services, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Raise taxes, as said by Edmond Hausfrau (I'm also a homeowner). Not sure if it needs to be property, income or sales, but property and income might be best. You get what you pay for and if you pay crap levels for things (not just teachers, but infrastructure, social services, etc.), you get crap levels, hence us being almost constantly in the bottom 5 on lists that measure good quality of life items. I'd gladly pay more taxes if it meant better street striping, streetlights, teacher pay, more social services, etc.
    I do not trust our government here to do the appropriate things with the additional revenues.

I have long been an advocate for basically going like Texas - no income tax, but a higher property tax rate. I think that would solve a lot of problems. Raising the income tax will never fly here, since it would require a vote of the people.

Edit: I am a homeowner, and would pay more for quality services provided, but I doubt this state could do that.

Small thing to add, unless your homeless or live with your parents, property taxes affect everyone. Your landlord is going to pass that increase along when you renew your lease. So you don't have to be a homeowner to have an opinion on property taxes. I'm also a homeowner by the way.

Property taxes are the best way to fund the state.

1. Theyíre stable. Property rises slowly but rarely falls by like 10%, peopleís income can in a state such as OK a lot of the high earners are in the cyclical O&G business.
    2. If you donít want to pay as much, buy a smaller house.
    Famous last words? lol But your probably right, that it is the best source of revenue.

I always wonder. Our property taxes are right in the middle of all 50 states (24th) but our revenue always seems to hit shortfalls. What else am I missing here? Income tax at 5% is pretty low compared to some other states. I am guessing the real fix might be a little bit of raise of both of those taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I always wonder. Our property taxes are right in the middle of all 50 states (24th) but our revenue always seems to hit shortfalls. What else am I missing here? Income tax at 5% is pretty low compared to some other states. I am guessing the real fix might be a little bit of raise of both of those taxes.
    I think increasing income tax would have a negative effect on the economy. Texas has no state income tax, and look at all the companies they lure in because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I think increasing income tax would have a negative effect on the economy. Texas has no state income tax, and look at all the companies they lure in because of it.
    I am also thinking it isn't just no income tax that draws people to Texas but I am sure it helps.. Population and workforce probably help that as well. I am trying to compare us Okies to similar states of population and workforce.

Thread Information