Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tamashii Ramen

Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

The owner is native japanese
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cook View Post
    Interesting thread.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're being a little harsh on the local Japanese food scene here. I, too, miss authentic Japanese dishes having spent 15 years in Japan and Southeast Asia...but I know you're not going to find it in Oklahoma City. Simply put, the Japanese community here is somewhere between non-existent to transient so you can't expect to find truly accurate Japanese dishes that you find back in the old country. But try finding a good Mexican place in Bangkok or rib joint in Yokohama. And I agree.....it is somewhat amusing to see so many Viet kieu in kimono here trying to pass off their creations as authentic dishes.

But, with that said, there are positive aspects to this. It's interesting to see what local chefs come up with. I find it interesting to see so many local, first-generation Vietnamese-American chefs creating new takes on trendy dishes. Let's face it, Japanese is the 'in' thing and no one works harder and wants to make a dollar more than our Vietnamese friends.

If you want truly AUTHENTIC, I suggest sticking to the Vietnamese and Korean places....or some of the Mexican joints along 29th. OKC has a fantastic variety of authentic experiences......just not for Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    The choices of parking are right outside the restaurant or pay for parking somewhere else.
    And again, what's the problem? That you might have to walk a block or two? There's oodles of street parking in midtown. We need less parking all throughout the core, not more of it. Have you ever been to the core of any large, vibrant city?

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    And again, what's the problem? That you might have to walk a block or two? There's oodles of street parking in midtown. We need less parking all throughout the core, not more of it. Have you ever been to the core of any large, vibrant city?
    If Chicago doesn't count, than no. I'm not interested in arguing about an opinion when you're ignoring the post. Sub topic over.

I'll just say that there's plenty of free street parking around that area if you play your cards right.

5. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

I've never had parking problems during lunch and $0.35 to park isn't outrageous.

The choices of parking are right outside the restaurant or pay for parking somewhere else.
    At the risk of this being a trick question, I'll go with a: park right outside the restaurant.

If Chicago doesn't count, than no. I'm not interested in arguing about an opinion when you're ignoring the post. Sub topic over.
    It's not my opinion. It's a simple fact that there's no shortage of parking in Midtown, much less at Tamashii.

8. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Okay, so are they back to being open for lunch? Drove past there this week at lunch and there was a line to the door.

9. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Okay, so are they back to being open for lunch? Drove past there this week at lunch and there was a line to the door.
    Except for Monday they have been.... Monday they are closed all day.

We ate there for lunch last week. It was very tasty but my lunch mate and I both had the same opinion that weighing a $10 bowl of ramen against a $6-7 bowl of Pho...the pho will be our choice. Doubt we return. Don't get me wrong as I don't mind spending $10 for lunch entrée at slaughter's or other places...just didn't think this is worth $10 but then again, I am not a ramen connoisseur

11. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Went last night for dinner with my wife after stopping by Premiere on Film Row.

Got there about 7:40pm and caught them between rushes. Walked right in a got the last booth/table. Within a few minutes there were at least 4-5 parties waiting to be seated.

Really like the inside of the place. Very small but had a great vibe. Only one of I think 3 TV's on (personally, I would have had them all off on a Friday dinner, but that's just my preference).

No music or anything, just a bustling hum of people conversating and eating dinner.

Waitress was very friendly and gave us some suggestions since it was our first visit. She highly recommended starting with the Gyoza (potstickers) - which we did.

There was five and they were excellent and a good value for a $3.75 appetizer for a date night.

The waitress recommended we order the Tonkotsu and add mushrooms and the Spicy Ramen - so we could share and get an idea of the different flavors and spice.

The pace of the ordering and delivery of drinks, refills, appetizers and entrees was great - with no clock watching or time to cell phone surf.

Both noodle dishes were excellent. We both had to wait about 3-5 minutes though before we could eat them as their cooking temperature was very hot when they arrived.

I have no history of eating restaurant ramen to compare this to, but we both found it to be excellent. Lots of flavors and textures we don't normally experience when we go out to eat and none of the dishes left us feeling bloated nor too full or hungry.

Date night with two drinks, an appetizer and two entrees - before tip - was only about $30. Very reasonable in my opinion and we felt it really made for a great Friday night.

This was my dish (Tonkotsu Ramen with mushrooms added)....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11934977_10207332450251194_7010855365625800248_n.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	11340

12. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    ... weighing a $10 bowl of ramen against a $6-7 bowl of Pho...the pho will be our choice. Doubt we return. Don't get me wrong as I don't mind spending $10 for lunch entrée at slaughter's or other places...just didn't think this is worth $10 but then again, I am not a ramen connoisseur
    I love a hot bowl of rare steak and meatball pho on a cold winter day, or even cold summer days like we had last week, but those wonderful pieces of Chashu (pork belly) they serve on the Tonkotsu Ramen at Tamashii are worth the few extra dollars for a pork loving junky like me..... I usually add a piece to totally cure my pork fix.

13. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Went back yesterday for lunch with a group of friends. We've tried this twice before but each time the line was out the door. Surprisingly this time there was no line at all at 12:40pm and the place was only half full.

I thought the lunch and dinner offering were the same, but I was mistaken. They don't offer the pot stickers at lunch!

Otherwise it was all very good and my friends very much liked it.

We did notice they seem to be struggling to keep the place cool inside. It wasn't 'hot' but the warmer temp was noticeable.

Went here a week and a half ago for lunch, and I tried the Tonkotsu Ramen. It was delicious! I definitely recommend.

15. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

From Wednesday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	517.3 KB 
ID:	11427

16. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

The sign looks great. The only time I tried to stop buy was in the first week of opening and they were closed at the time. Just looked like a nondescript white building then.

Not sure why people keep commenting on the size of the place.

If you want a truly authentic Japanese experience, the restaurant should be the size of a shoe closet.

19. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

I can't wait to see the patio take shape there.

20. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

nice signage! wow, a patio coming. Excellent, great to fill up that front yard a bit. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Talked to the owners today and learned they will soon be finishing up on the storage being added behind the building, then moving on to the patio area.

Hope to be finished before summer and they are also close to getting their full liquor license (just beer now) so they can add a cocktail menu.

This could easily become yet another great urban patio scene.

Talked to the owners today and learned they will soon be finishing up on the storage being added behind the building, then moving on to the patio area.

Hope to be finished before summer and they are also close to getting their full liquor license (just beer now) so they can add a cocktail menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

They serve sake in addition to beer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    They serve sake in addition to beer.
    It's possible sake is considered beer in this state since its fermented from grain and not fruit. They already classify cider as wine although it has A fraction of the alcohol contet and is sold in packs. But unless it's 3.2 the state able license should allow for beer and wine.

Patio is now under construction:

Thread Information