Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamashii Ramen

1. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

I've been craving some good ramen after I watched the first season of Mind of a Chef on PBS.

Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

It's certainly nice to see these Viet kieu in kimono coming up with other Japanese dishes besides sushi.

Up next.....a shabu-shabu joint and/or an izakaya.

3. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

I think shabu shabu would do very well in OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

You can actually make shabu-shabu at home for a fraction of the cost for what Tokyo House charged a few years ago (on special order).

Go down to the Korean market on 12th and Moore and buy the specially sliced beef, bean sprouts and enoki mushrooms. I buy the rest of the products (Mizukan ponzu) at Cao Nguyen. Make at home....sugoku oshii!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cook View Post
    You can actually make shabu-shabu at home for a fraction of the cost for what Tokyo House charged a few years ago (on special order).

Go down to the Korean market on 12th and Moore and buy the specially sliced beef, bean sprouts and enoki mushrooms. I buy the rest of the products (Mizukan ponzu) at Cao Nguyen. Make at home....sugoku oshii!
    Do Tell! Have you an online guide or something? Tokyo Pot offers a bit more than what you discussed. I thought them quite a bargain the three or four times I indulged.

For what it's worth, I don't really think Tokyo Pot is truly authentic Japanese-style shabu-shabu. It's kind of a mix of Asian influences. I actually had a discussion with the owner about his concept and he even said "My Japanese friends in California introduced me to shabu-shabu and it was just water and meat....boring. So I spiced it up a bit.' Well...hello....boiled water and sliced beef IS SHABU-SHABU!

He's basically added Chinese, Thai and Korean style shabu-shabu dishes and called the place Tokyo Pot. Whatever.....it's pretty good, introduces people to the dish and seems to be one of the few places serving shabu-shabu and sukiyaki.

It would be cool to see a place like Mo Mo Paradise come to this part of the country. They serve a quality and affordable dining experience. Not long ago, they only had a couple of locations in Tokyo but have exploded all over Asia. Don't think they have American locations yet. Mo-Mo-Paradise

Wow! That looks pretty cool. I have to say that Tokyo Pot was a really fun experience even if not authentic Shabu-shabu. In fact, if it's a somewhat original adaptation, I applaude that as well. It works.

Wow this should be great! Would also be nice if they have 1-2 Veg Ramen options - becoming more popular in Asia too from what I can tell.

From catch22 yesterday... They did submit a building permit for demo and reno to white box state, so their more serious work should be commencing soon. Very interested to see what they do to the outside.

Any updates or news on this project? Rode by the other day and noticed the sign was down.

They have filed for their building permit and it should be issued soon.

After that, they'll get busy finishing out the inside.

they will really open this spring ?

Japanese Ramen looking for Talent

They filed for a building permit right before Christmas. Usually takes a month or two to be issued.

After that, i'ts only a 1,600 SF space so it should go pretty quickly.

Yeah sign's been down and no activity. It looks like the sign might have blown up on the roof, but if so, they need to take 10 minutes and go fix it.

They can't start any meaningful work until the BP is issued, and that is still pending.

Their building permit was issued, so interior work will be starting soon if it hasn't already.

It will be tiny:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Their building permit was issues, so interior work will be starting soon if it hasn't already.

It will be tiny:

Tiiiight.

That's big by Japanese standards.

44 seats or so? Am I counting that right?

46 according to the handwriting near the lower right-hand corner of the plans. -M

21. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

i was just going to say that, most Ramen bars I've been to in Japan are very small holes in the wall. It appears this will have a similar effect - which is great and hopefully will ensure its success (low overhead). Looking forward to frequenting this during visits!

Are these Ramen Noodles extra special on account of you don't, personally, have to be required to know how to boil water or start a microwave in order to feed yourself? Geez . . . What are "they" teaching kids in "college" these days? How to plan "urbanity" without having to lift a finger? =~)

I hope they include "high-chairs" to make "Noodling" extra-special.

(I'm thinkin' . . . some ramen noodles with a little pork or chicken or maybe beef, goat, or lamb or organically "noodled" catfish--with the right seasoning--could be sorta tasty . . .)

23. Post Re: Tamashii Ramen

fresh ramen noodle is not the same as top ramen instant noodles that you eat whilst poor in college. lol.

fresh ramen (a chinese egg noodle) is quite the filling dish, complete with soup broth (typically shoyu), meat (typically pork or beef cutlet), vegetable (mushrooms, cabbage) and accompanyments (typically egg, garnish, seaweed, fishcake, etc). The broth is cooked for several hours to get the full flavor of the bone and the noodle is thicker and much more hearty than the thin/curly "instant ramen". From a prospective you can find in OKC, think of ramen as filling and somewhat similar preparation as Vietnamese pho, with chinese wheat/egg noodle (instead of rice noodle) and a japanese way of cooking/ingredients.

Here is a good idea of what we're likely to get: Ramen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blog Entries

It's like Pho with a different kind of noodle, no?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It's like Pho with a different kind of noodle, no?
    Similar, yes.

Thread Information