Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep fork grill

Default Re: Deep fork grill

Two Pesos was really pretty good food, especially their tacos. They were several steps above the normal Taco Bell type stores. We took some friends from Spokane to Portabello's and had an excellent dinner.
    C. T.

We only had occasion to visit Deep Fork once for an anniversary dinner for my aunt and uncle several years ago, and enjoyed it very much. As much as we liked it, and wanted to return, the location is just kinda "out there" and was easy to forget when thinking about a special or different place to eat out. Same thing applied when it was Portobello's.

Sounds to me like MidFirst has other plans for the property, and the building may not be among them...

MidFirst likely has another restaurant tenant.

They have longer term plans for all the property but i don't think anything is going to happen there soon.

I didn't eat at DF that often but when I did, I was pleased. I booked a private table there once for an anniversary dinner for my wife and I. When we got there they told us the previous party was still finishing up. They ended up staying much longer than had been anticipated so they apologized profusely and gave us free drinks and appetizers while we waited. They offered us another table and I said I really wanted to wait. When we were finally seated our waiter told us our meals were comped so order anything we wanted. They didn't have to do that. It really wasn't their fault. But I always appreciated the customer service that I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Portabello was underrated. For a while anyway.

I heard that when Wade had his much-publicized troubles he and his partners started ways and he took some of the properties and they took others, which included the namesake restaurant. If that's true, I think it becomes fair to say that maybe Wade really was the driving force behind the group, as they faltered after. Which of course doesn't change the anything about the trouble he placed himself in personally.
    I don't think this is accurate. Wade's issues extended far past the restaurant group, and Deep Fork was his baby. It had started going bad several years before he left the DFG. I am not even certain Wade took any properties with him, as he was in no position to run them when they parted ways. He hasn't even worked at a DFG restaurant in several years, much less owned one, that I know of.

6. Default Re: Deep fork grill

^^^^^
    I acknowledged that his troubles extended past the group. This was much-publicized. I could be wrong about him taking anything in the split, but what I was TOLD was that he still had Drum a Room and maybe another. None of this I'm sure of, and I could be completely wrong about it.

The point I was making was that this particular restaurant seemed to start faltering about the time he left.

Portabello was underrated. For a while anyway.

Also, I think although Deep Fork had gotten long in the tooth, Deep Fork and DFG were important to the local food scene here. They grew out of a time when few cared about local, and they did some adventurous stuff for the time, for the city in question. Legitimately led the way toward the present local scene, and I know they trained a number of the people who are now killing it here with other places.

I heard that when Wade had his much-publicized troubles he and his partners started ways and he took some of the properties and they took others, which included the namesake restaurant. If that's true, I think it becomes fair to say that maybe Wade really was the driving force behind the group, as they faltered after. Which of course doesn't change the anything about the trouble he placed himself in personally.
    Yep. It was great at one time, but not recently.

The point I was making was that this particular restaurant seemed to start faltering about the time he left.
    And I'm just saying, for me, the restaurant's food quality started lacking a while before he left. The service was always outstanding, though.

I was told they did more business from catering than dine-in.

Lackmeyer said today in his chat that there's been a permit filed for demolition.

Yep.

Hasn't been issued yet and I went by there yesterday and nothing is happening yet.

I don't think there is any kind of deal working there. Midfirst still owns the property and will likely continue to sit on it as they have all the property to the north which they also bought from Chesapeake several years ago.

it'd be a shame to see it go... i would've liked to see another restaurant taking up the space but that's not likely in the cards in the current environment.

the county assessor shows a 1987 construction date with the front part being a 1992 addition. my earliest recollection was portobello's in the early 90's. other than that and deep fork grill has there been anything else in this space?

edit: nevermind! i went back and read the first page. : )

The old Deep Fork building is being demolished today.

There have been no plans filed to build anything new on that parcel. Midfirst bought this property and everything in the triangle north of here from Chesapeake a few years ago, but hasn't done anything with it.

lots of good memories eating in that building, kind of sad to see it go.

I hope someone saved the Western Bridge "sculpture" that hung in the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    lots of good memories eating in that building, kind of sad to see it go.
    =^

18. Default Re: Deep fork grill

Just doesn’t take long for a track hoe to make a building go away.

Oh no, Two Pesos is history.
    C. T.
    p.s. Sorry, I guess I'm on the wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Oh no, Two Pesos is history.
    C. T.
    p.s. Sorry, I guess I'm on the wrong thread.
    LOL C.T. i remember this started as a two pesos and i remember the 99 cent margaritas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    LOL C.T. i remember this started as a two pesos and i remember the 99 cent margaritas
    If there were a place selling 99 cent margaritas I certainly would not remember it or much of anything.

22. Default Re: Deep fork grill

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    If there were a place selling 99 cent margaritas I certainly would not remember it or much of anything.
    They did. Never went to that one but the one on NW Exp was a regular stop after softball games when they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    They did. Never went to that one but the one on NW Exp was a regular stop after softball games when they were there.
    I was trying to be funny lol

24. Default Re: Deep fork grill

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I was trying to be funny lol
    Sorry. Missed that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Sorry. Missed that!
    All good. There's a reason I don't do HBO standup specials.

Thread Information