Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Football League

Default National Football League

We seem to get little discussion here about the NFL. I'm wonder though, do us long suffering Dallas Cowboy fans have any reason to get interested again or are we just being teased.

New attitude: These Dallas Cowboys won't fade - ESPN Dallas

Default Re: National Football League

After beating 3 teams that are in the middle to low end of the league, I thought that Dallas would fade as it moves into the more difficult part of the schedule. After yesterday's monumental win in Seattle. Have to say they are a contender this season.
    I have to add that I am really not a big Dallas supporter at the moment. I was a fan as a boy back in the days of Staubach, White, Dorsett, and followed them all the way until the mid nineties. Just don't like Jerry Jones. However, they are doing all the right things right now.

Just wondering, What percentage to the OKC metro area are Dallas fans?

Well the refs gave them the game against the Rams(they really did) and the Seahawks don't look like last years team. But,Dallas is playing decent ball but I wouldn't go crazy just yet.

I think it's just about time for OKC to go after the Oakland Raiders. Promise them a new downtown stadium with the next maps money. They can change the name so it won't be affiliated with the gang bangers and make a ton of money on new merch. and naming rights. With OKC metro pushing 1.5 mil. and growing I think the time is getting close. We could also use a hotel/motel tax to fleece the out-of-towners along with sin tax and some new maps money. We need to get the movers and shakers on board. The price of new stadiums will only go up so this needs to get started soon. We don't need a Jerry World but something like Indy's would work well down on the river front. This could be the jewel that sets downtown OKC apart from other cities. I remember hearing that the NBA would never work in OKC so I don't want to hear the negative nancys. OKC IS A CAN DO CITY! Lets get her done....

Quote Originally Posted by OKCJapan View Post
    Just wondering, What percentage to the OKC metro area are Dallas fans?
    All of Oklahoma according to this: NFL Fan Map: Favorite Team By County - Business Insider

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    We seem to get little discussion here about the NFL. I'm wonder though, do us long suffering Dallas Cowboy fans have any reason to get interested again or are we just being teased.

New attitude: These Dallas Cowboys won't fade - ESPN Dallas
    Dallas is playing some very good{not great}ball right now but I think they are almost last in the league in sacks which dosnt bode well in the long run unless they can apply more pressure to opposing QBs. And Dallas still has some tough games ahead including x2 against the Eagles, the Cards as well as the Colts and Bears. That being said at least at this point I don't see any beating Denver.

There still seems to be nonexistent interest in the NFL here on OKCTALK other than wondering if it will ever come to OKC. The Cowboys continue to at least as impressive if not more impressive than any other team as the regular season closes. You would think with star power of Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray, Oklahomans would be paying more attention.

8. Default Re: National Football League

Im paying attention. I just don't care about the Cowboys.

You would think with star power of Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray, Oklahomans would be paying more attention.
    I am a fan of both Dez Bryant, and Demarco Murray, and enjoy seeing their individual success. However, the fact that they play for Dallas makes it impossible for me to wish their "team" to have any success. Which is unfortunate, being that football is a team sport. Hopefully someday, one or both of those guys, has a chance to get out from under Dallas Cowboy management, and have the opportunity to play for a wining franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Im paying attention. I just don't care about the Cowboys.
    Please note that this isn't the Cowboy's thread. Feel free to comment about other teams if you don't care about them.

11. Default Re: National Football League

I'm a saints fan but unfortunately I have nothing to say about them either

There still seems to be nonexistent interest in the NFL here on OKCTALK other than wondering if it will ever come to OKC. The Cowboys continue to at least as impressive if not more impressive than any other team as the regular season closes. You would think with star power of Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray, Oklahomans would be paying more attention.
    While I use to have a some interest in the Dallas Cowboys, with them being my dad's favorite pro team (at least in the 80's and 90's when I lived at home, I am pretty sure that went back earlier but I was alive before then), however l lost interest in them at some point after the Switzer years. They seemed so consistently fielding mediocre or worse teams, then occasional years showing a flash of potential to turn around then repeatedly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It is amazing to think how much money they make year after year, consistently among the top earning franchises and many years the best in the league, yet after the 95 season (almost twenty years) they only have two playoff victories and those come from wildcard games.

I've been a Cowboys fan for about 8 years and this is the first time they've been impressive. I'm happier'n a sh!t house rat! Thank you, football gods!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I think it's just about time for OKC to go after the Oakland Raiders. Promise them a new downtown stadium with the next maps money. They can change the name so it won't be affiliated with the gang bangers and make a ton of money on new merch. and naming rights. With OKC metro pushing 1.5 mil. and growing I think the time is getting close. We could also use a hotel/motel tax to fleece the out-of-towners along with sin tax and some new maps money. We need to get the movers and shakers on board. The price of new stadiums will only go up so this needs to get started soon. We don't need a Jerry World but something like Indy's would work well down on the river front. This could be the jewel that sets downtown OKC apart from other cities. I remember hearing that the NBA would never work in OKC so I don't want to hear the negative nancys. OKC IS A CAN DO CITY! Lets get her done....
    Raiders, Chargers & Rams aren't likely to leave their respective cities of Oakland, San Diego & St. Louis; they will look for pawns like Los Angeles, San Antonio, Portland, Memphis & Birmingham with L.A. as a serious threat.

Oklahoma City is expected to continue its healthy growth into the future, reaching 1.5 million in its metropolitan area by 2020.
    Oklahoma City Population 2014 - World Population Review

OKC 2025 projection could reach 1.7 - 2.0 million by mid 20s.

Oklahoma City isn't ready to plan for anything like an NFL franchise. The city could propose an open air stadium 35,000/40,000-seat riverfront stadium (2017 MAPS IV -$115 - $125 million ) which could be used for soccer (potential MLS) & American football & large gathering with expansion possibilities.

University of Houston: new 40,000-plus seat stadium at a cost of $105 million:

That settles it, Dallas and GB game is absolutely the worst officiated game I have EVER seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    That settles it, Dallas and GB game is absolutely the worst officiated game I have EVER seen!
    NOPE! Dallas Detroit was worse. Refs GAVE Dallas the win. BIG Time happy about Dallas' loss

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    NOPE! Dallas Detroit was worse. Refs GAVE Dallas the win. BIG Time happy about Dallas' loss
    Detroit still had multiple chances to stop them, it wasn't a TD play.

Dallas had opportunities int this game to score or keep GB's offense off the field. Many might say, well, if the Bryant catch decision was not overturned and Dallas scores, maybe even converting a 2pc to go up by three, their defense gets fired up. The problem is, it was not Jerry World, it was Lambeau Field and it was Aaron Rogers who was torching Dallas in the second half. You saw the subsequent drive. They just didn't need to score at that point. Not a Dallas hater, just looking at it as objectively as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    NOPE! Dallas Detroit was worse. Refs GAVE Dallas the win.
    Wrong. If you saw the reverse angle, you would've seen that the WR had grabbed the defenders face mask. The defender was trying to break WR's grip on his facemask but did not cause any PI in the process.

As far as the incomplete pass on Dez, that is just a horrible interpretation of the rules and a relatively new one at that, it pretty much came into being because of replay and set precedence because we all know lawyers love precedence. It was bad on the Calvin Johnson reception years ago, they are at least consistent with the bad interpretation.

We were discussing how awkward Tebow was at halftime and it reminded me of Bucky Dent's attempt at acting in The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader movie in 1979. I was looking for the clip of that scene but only found the whole movie in YouTube (why?) and there was a Butch Johnson TD catch against Denver in the end zone where he was "falling to the ground" with a few steps and lost control of ball when he hit the ground. It laid on the ground as he popped up, back then it was considered a TD.

Around the 34 second mark...not the DCC movie, a Superbowl highlight clip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ad3pDqFO4

Blog Entries

Seattle Seahawks' risky pass play on the one yard line.

With the ball on New England's 1, Seattle appeared to be headed toward a second straight Super Bowl title. Butler spoiled the Seahawks' bid, stepping in front of Ricardo Lockette for the interception.
    New England Patriots Beat Seattle Seahawks 28-24 In Super Bowl XLIX

New England Patriots QB Tom Brady wins 3rd Super Bowl MVP award - ESPN

That wasn't a bad play call by the Hawks as the Pats were In goal line defense and expecting the run. The Pats defensive back just made a heck of a play on the ball. Not really a fan of either team but Seattle starting a fight at the end was classless.

I LOATHE the New England Patriots....so much seething contempt, I can hardly type it out here. And yet, that throw by Wilson may have been the stupidest thing I've ever seen. NE's defense was having trouble stopping Lynch's run game all night and you were on the freakin ONE YARD LINE! Just infuriating. As much as I hate to say it, NE was the better team for 3 quarters.

A good Super Bowl, although I'm disgusted I will now hear "Tom Brady best quarterback EVER" talk all summer long. You blew it, Seattle. Oh, and next year please bring back Missy Elliot as halftime performer. Sad when the guest act upstages the main show.

I thought Katy Perry did an awesome job.

The best SB halftime I can remember.

25. Default Re: National Football League

I agree. the only recent one that left an impression on me was Prince. Sang Purple Rain in the rain in Miami

Thread Information