Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: Criterion Concert Hall

Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The Mule plays at Cains, not Brady.
    My point still stands.

True it's not the Beacon in NYC but it certainly has charm and aesthetics. Take a little time and really look around next time. It's most defiantly cool.
    Sorry, but I think it was just oversold to me. When people said good "aesthetics" and charm, I was thinking more intricate theaters I'm used to like the Wiltern or the Warfield. I was not thinking painted concrete and metal siding as the "details". I was thinking more like the pics of the Criterion and the Midwest theater above. There are quite of few theaters like that around the country which are well maintained and still in use as concert venues. The Brady feels more tired than charming. But again, not a bad place to see a show for all the reasons Urbanized mentioned, just nothing that I saw that I would call aesthetically pleasing or charming, especially relatively to other theaters of similar size and layout.

I was expecting more like this:

or this:

not this:

So, maybe it was just my fault for assuming too much.

The renderings look to me like a "ballroom" ala Cain's or (hopefully a less garbage-y version of) the Diamond Ballroom. So I'm assuming no seating or marble gargoyles on the side like a broadway theatre. I'll be happy with a solid concert venue with 2014 A/V system and modern amenities. We really don't have any of that here, especially in the mid-range size.

I will say though, the outside is fairly ugly for a new build. You would think they could do something better than a brick box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I will say though, the outside is fairly ugly for a new build. You would think they could do something better than a brick box.
    I am going to repeat this again. I think this would look great as is with a nice mural painted on the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    The renderings look to me like a "ballroom" ala Cain's or (hopefully a less garbage-y version of) the Diamond Ballroom. So I'm assuming no seating or marble gargoyles on the side like a broadway theatre. I'll be happy with a solid concert venue with 2014 A/V system and modern amenities. We really don't have any of that here, especially in the mid-range size.
    Well, plus a mezzanine level. I guess it's not clear at this point how much will be fixed seating and how much will be standing room only, if any.

Yeah, I don't expect anything ornate. I'd be happy with (or expect, actually) a nice clean modern interior with a set up tailored for live music. I think we've already town all of our chances to have a broadway theater type venue, so just getting a solid asset of this size is most important part right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I am going to repeat this again. I think this would look great as is with a nice mural painted on the sides.
    Point is, why does a new structure have to be meat and potatoes utilitarian? Why not a a stylish artful design? The brick thing has been done.

Point is, why does a new structure have to be meat and potatoes utilitarian? Why not a a stylish artful design? The brick thing has been done.
    Money.

Bricktown.

This structure fits well with the existing building stock in Bricktown. Development in OKC in recent history has leaned far more towards functionality than aesthetics. With the OG&E tower and some of the more recent residential projects there are signs this could be beginning to change, but it is the way it is. In my opinion this is above bare functionality however and could easily be given character with a mural. The ornate, art-deco theatres of yesteryear aren't being built anymore and it definitely couldn't be done for the price tag the investors in this theater are wanting to spend.

Hey if it gets us more shows and has good acoustics, bring on the meat and potatoes.

I thought that I read somewhere that the owners of the Wormy Dog has procured a property in this same ares to MOVE the Wormy Dog to?
    Did they decide to do this instead?

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I thought that I read somewhere that the owners of the Wormy Dog has procured a property in this same ares to MOVE the Wormy Dog to?
    It had been previously reported that they would be developing both the parcels they bought and that they would be moving the WD to a big, better spot within that development.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    no need to be a 'smarty' - I don't know about (nor care) any of those places you talk about; it was an honest question.
    Not being a "smarty" I just believe that Steve would know about those theatres and what Dallas and KC have to offer before making a claim that we would get something that would make them jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I'm sure they will still book red dirt acts here, but the new name for the theater makes me think they're keeping the current location as the wormy dog. It's a very good brand for the niche and I can't see them getting rid of it altogether.

Plupan, I can't read the entire article but it appears that is about the new event space at the fairgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, I can't read the entire article but it appears that is about the new event space at the fairgrounds.
    I can read it and it is only about the Fairgrounds event space.

Hey bchris, how do you feel about them adding a mural to the design? That could be really cool.

19. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

I'm curious how this is going to effect the Coca Cola Events Center (or Chevy or whaever it calls itself these days). We were just seeing a push to renovate that place, and then with this coming in, it would spank the old place.

BDP, I think you are still giving it too much credit. From what I understood, it's more like a big empty FLAT room...forget chairs and stuff. But that does give it the ability to host large reception type events. Anyone know if there's a kitchen involved? Could be a good place for a large company banquet....

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Hey bchris, how do you feel about them adding a mural to the design? That could be really cool.

Yeah, adding a mural would be awesome. They should really consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm curious how this is going to effect the Coca Cola Events Center (or Chevy or whaever it calls itself these days). We were just seeing a push to renovate that place, and then with this coming in, it would spank the old place.

BDP, I think you are still giving it too much credit. From what I understood, it's more like a big empty FLAT room...forget chairs and stuff. But that does give it the ability to host large reception type events. Anyone know if there's a kitchen involved? Could be a good place for a large company banquet....
    My understanding is the Chevy will be more like the Cain's with a balcony and the Criterion will be like the Brady. The Cain's and the Brady are down the street from each other and still pull in a lot of big name acts. I think it all depends on the promotion and who is managing these places.

chevy center's capacity is around 1500, criterion is 4200, so they'd be pulling in different levels of acts. there should be no competition - that's enough of a capacity jump to where the venues won't be competing for the same bands.

I don't know what the seating / standing configuration will be. Just that it will have a mezzanine. I usually like tiered standing lower level and seated mezzanine / balcony. But I think either way would work.

I don't think the places will compete for acts. They may compete if they happen to book similar acts on the same night, but I don't see that happening.

This project goes to the Bricktown Design Review Committee on 11/12 and after working with the Planning Department, the developers have added windows and made some other changes to the design.

The City staff are recommending approval only if the window sizes are increased to better fit with the district.

The signage shown in previous renderings (see article at top of page) has been deleted here because it must receive separate approval.

25. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Interesting that the major complaint here was lack of windows and a lot of people said it didn't need them.

Thread Information