architect=Bucher Design Stuido
    start=2015
    finish=2016
    contractor=HLL Commercial
    height=2 stories
    sq. feet=39,606
    acreage=.7713

Information & Latest News

The owners of the Wormy Dog Saloon are proposing a new live music venue for the east end of Bricktown, dubbed Criterion Concert Hall.

In 2012, the group bought two properties that were part of the former Stewart Steelworks. This project would be on the eastern end of the block, a parcel of .77 acres with the .73 acre parcel directly to the west. The existing metal buildings on the eastern lot are to be demolished.

The largely brick building would be 39,606 square feet with a u-shaped upper mezzanine and a capacity of 4,200, coincidentally the exact same as the Brady Theater in Tulsa.

Immediately to the south of this project, the Bricktown Events Center is nearing completion of a massive renovation where they are adding a similar u-shaped upper level and other improvements, with the owners promising much more in the way of live music events.

And work is set to start later this year to the immediate north on the Steelyard, a large apartment and retail project that will also include a Hyatt Place hotel. To the east plans have been approved for a Springhill Suites hotel.
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit1.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	9928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit2.jpg 
Views:	2232 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	9929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit3.jpg 
Views:	2201 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	9930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit4.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	9931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit5.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	9932  

2. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Looks like "Criterion" in name only...

Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Looks like "Criterion" in name only...
    Agreed. It's a great idea, but HORRIBLE design. It's a disgrace to the Criterion name. This is nothing more than a concrete tilt-up building covered in brick with a cheap sign. They should take more pride in our city and the very Bricktown district they already own another business in. Hopefully Bricktown Review will make them up their game.

Ugh

Very bland design. rhats a really tall brick wall....

What should it be? Is it just the name not gelling with the design that is bothersome?

IMO, it's what inside that counts on this, as long as there is brick to match the aesthetic. You can't really tell what the inside will be from these renderings, though. I actually went to the Brady for the first time this week and it's a dump. It won't take much effort for this to be nicer and people seem to like the Brady around here, so how bad can it be?

Maybe I'm just too excited of the idea of having a theater venue of this size (basically in the sweet spot for theater tours, which makes up the bulk of larger acts these days) to get too down on it. I'd always welcome more ornate design, but what's a good example of recent concert theater construction in a stand alone building that has impressive design that wasn't publicly funded?

With the BEC renovations and this, no one could complain about venue assets anymore. It'd just be up to finding a competent promoter to work the market.

I think this is a fantastic project.

Coupled with the Bricktown Events Center, there will soon be two mid-sized live music venues on the east end of Bricktown and tons of new development about ready to pop all around.

And a brand new, purpose-built music venue has the potential to present an awesome experience for the concert-goer.

I really like the marquee sign as well.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Very bland design. rhats a really tall brick wall....
    I'm confused. Isn't bricktown basically a bunch of tall brick walls? I mean, you wouldn't expect them to put windows on it right? I guess they could because the concert hall doesn't have an outside wall, but still...

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering what steps could be taken to make it better. Personally, I'd love some kick ass modern design, but I don't hate this and we already know what happens when our theaters get a little too innovative in design.

Like.

I actually kind of like it, but it would be nice to get some windows on the thing.

Looks great! Love it! It will be a great addition. The design fits bricktown, its in scale with the surrounding buildings, uses brick, and has great interaction with the street. I see no problems here! Can't wait until it opens!

This is very similar in design to the Brady Theatre in Tulsa, just without the prominent gable roof. I like it.

I love this project.. have been wanting something like it for a while. could the design be a bit more interesting?. sure. however it looks like a brick wharehouse and its in Bricktown. It could be much worse with lots of fake stucco ect. and windows in a music venue?. that isn't really needed.
    I hope this proceeds!

A more ornate entrance would go a longggggg ways in the aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I actually kind of like it, but it would be nice to get some windows on the thing.
    I can see that, but adding windows does present possible ongoing maintenance issues. Maybe there is some other way to break up the visual: neon? metal or stone accents? I don't know.

The thing with dedicated venues is that they don't always present a consistent or constant cash flow. Lots of them are dark as much as they are booked. So, sustainability through minimizing upkeep is key. I admit, I am probably being more lenient on this than I would if it were residential, an office, or restaurant. But this is a local dude building a new music theater from the ground up, so maybe I'm more apt to compromise on design because the market needs it and those things can suck you under as fast as they make you rich.

By way of comparison, the Bricktown Events Center is 24,000 square feet and the new 2nd level there will add about 5,600 SF.

This project would be larger at more than 39,000 SF.

All the anti-design people are coming out of the wood work!
    I think it looks pretty good. All of Bricktown is square buildings or large brick walls. Concert halls are not supposed to have windows.
    They did use some varying brick designs on the wall and various brick heights in the corners.
    Also there will likely be things built all around it so why spend more money for designs on the east & west sides if it's going to be concealed?

What else do you want?

Just to be clear, the east side will front the street and of course the north side will be the main facade along Sheridan.

The facades on the west and south sides will but right up against other development.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This is very similar in design to the Brady Theatre in Tulsa, just without the prominent gable roof. I like it.
    Yeah, pretty much and you got to assume the interior will be nicer just by default.

20. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Looks like a great addition to BT, bring it on!

Like times 1000. While the exterior could be considered a little bland, it will fit in nicely in Bricktown. A smaller mural on the front would be a cool way to dress it up, don't know how the design committee would feel though.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yeah, pretty much and you got to assume the interior will be nicer just by default.
    Not only nicer, but built from the ground up as a modern live music venue, with full consideration to acoustics, sight lines and other amenities.

Might not have the history and charm but once the lights go down and the music starts cranking, you know this will be a great place to hear live music.

I like it. I think it's the name "Criterion" that is turning people off to it. Criterion was an architectural treasure and this bares little resemblance to it. In itself though this looks like a great addition to Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not only nicer, but built from the ground up as a modern live music venue, with full consideration to acoustics, sight lines and other amenities.

Might not have the history and charm but once the lights go down and the music starts cranking, you know this will be a great place to hear live music.
    I agree. And I guess that's why I'm not too concerned with the exterior, so long as it doesn't offend the current bricktown aesthetic, which, from these drawings, I don't think it does.

25. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Love the concept and should be great for Bricktown but would also like to see at least a bit of aesthetic improvement on the side along Sheridan.

Thread Information