Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 60 12345651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1548

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Bricktown3 Criterion Concert Hall

    address=500 E. Sheridan
    status=Complete
    owner=Alliance Investments
    architect=Bucher Design Stuido
    start=2015
    finish=2016
    contractor=HLL Commercial
    height=2 stories
    sq. feet=39,606
    acreage=.7713


    Information & Latest News

    The owners of the Wormy Dog Saloon are proposing a new live music venue for the east end of Bricktown, dubbed Criterion Concert Hall.

    In 2012, the group bought two properties that were part of the former Stewart Steelworks. This project would be on the eastern end of the block, a parcel of .77 acres with the .73 acre parcel directly to the west. The existing metal buildings on the eastern lot are to be demolished.

    The largely brick building would be 39,606 square feet with a u-shaped upper mezzanine and a capacity of 4,200, coincidentally the exact same as the Brady Theater in Tulsa.

    Immediately to the south of this project, the Bricktown Events Center is nearing completion of a massive renovation where they are adding a similar u-shaped upper level and other improvements, with the owners promising much more in the way of live music events.

    And work is set to start later this year to the immediate north on the Steelyard, a large apartment and retail project that will also include a Hyatt Place hotel. To the east plans have been approved for a Springhill Suites hotel.
    Links

    County Assessor Record
    Gallery

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit1.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	9928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit2.jpg 
Views:	2143 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	9929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit3.jpg 
Views:	2110 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	9930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit4.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	9931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit5.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	9932  

  2. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Looks like "Criterion" in name only...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Looks like "Criterion" in name only...
    Agreed. It's a great idea, but HORRIBLE design. It's a disgrace to the Criterion name. This is nothing more than a concrete tilt-up building covered in brick with a cheap sign. They should take more pride in our city and the very Bricktown district they already own another business in. Hopefully Bricktown Review will make them up their game.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    What should it be? Is it just the name not gelling with the design that is bothersome?

    IMO, it's what inside that counts on this, as long as there is brick to match the aesthetic. You can't really tell what the inside will be from these renderings, though. I actually went to the Brady for the first time this week and it's a dump. It won't take much effort for this to be nicer and people seem to like the Brady around here, so how bad can it be?

    Maybe I'm just too excited of the idea of having a theater venue of this size (basically in the sweet spot for theater tours, which makes up the bulk of larger acts these days) to get too down on it. I'd always welcome more ornate design, but what's a good example of recent concert theater construction in a stand alone building that has impressive design that wasn't publicly funded?

    With the BEC renovations and this, no one could complain about venue assets anymore. It'd just be up to finding a competent promoter to work the market.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    What should it be? Is it just the name not gelling with the design that is bothersome?

    IMO, it's what inside that counts on this, as long as there is brick to match the aesthetic. You can't really tell what the inside will be from these renderings, though. I actually went to the Brady for the first time this week and it's a dump. It won't take much effort for this to be nicer and people seem to like the Brady around here, so how bad can it be?

    Maybe I'm just too excited of the idea of having a theater venue of this size (basically in the sweet spot for theater tours, which makes up the bulk of larger acts these days) to get too down on it. I'd always welcome more ornate design, but what's a good example of recent concert theater construction in a stand alone building that has impressive design that wasn't publicly funded?

    With the BEC renovations and this, no one could complain about venue assets anymore. It'd just be up to finding a competent promoter to work the market.
    The Brady a dump!? You poor artless soul.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The Brady a dump!? You poor artless soul.
    As a building by itself, it could be considered a dump but with its history and feel it is a great room.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Tulsa sells more tickets, that's why they get the shows.
    ....and part of that is they have had the rooms that are the sweet spots in current tours and OKC hasn't had them. Back in the age of arena shows coming through all the time OKC outdrew Tulsa but both were good markets.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The Brady a dump!? You poor artless soul.
    Yeah, petty much. At least relative to most theaters of its size. I was expecting much more character and charm. It's a fine place to see a show, but let's not make it out to be something it's not.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The Brady a dump!? You poor artless soul.
    Tulsa has some nice theaters man, but they do not live up to the hype. Mainly the hype that is spread around by people in OKC and Tulsa. Brought a friend in from KC and to put it nicely, he was not impressed. By the Brady District or the Blue Dome district, and the theaters they had. They're ok and better than what is currently in OKC, but I'd be careful about calling people artless souls who have higher standards that what Tulsa offers.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Ugh

  10. #10

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Very bland design. rhats a really tall brick wall....

  11. #11

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Very bland design. rhats a really tall brick wall....
    I'm confused. Isn't bricktown basically a bunch of tall brick walls? I mean, you wouldn't expect them to put windows on it right? I guess they could because the concert hall doesn't have an outside wall, but still...

    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering what steps could be taken to make it better. Personally, I'd love some kick ass modern design, but I don't hate this and we already know what happens when our theaters get a little too innovative in design.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't bricktown basically a bunch of tall brick walls? I mean, you wouldn't expect them to put windows on it right? I guess they could because the concert hall doesn't have an outside wall, but still...

    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering what steps could be taken to make it better. Personally, I'd love some kick ass modern design, but I don't hate this and we already know what happens when our theaters get a little too innovative in design.
    I love the a brick. It's just a really tall brick building with nothing to break it up. Even some faux industrial looking windows would be a huge improvement.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    I think this is a fantastic project.

    Coupled with the Bricktown Events Center, there will soon be two mid-sized live music venues on the east end of Bricktown and tons of new development about ready to pop all around.

    And a brand new, purpose-built music venue has the potential to present an awesome experience for the concert-goer.

    I really like the marquee sign as well.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Like.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    I actually kind of like it, but it would be nice to get some windows on the thing.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I actually kind of like it, but it would be nice to get some windows on the thing.
    I can see that, but adding windows does present possible ongoing maintenance issues. Maybe there is some other way to break up the visual: neon? metal or stone accents? I don't know.

    The thing with dedicated venues is that they don't always present a consistent or constant cash flow. Lots of them are dark as much as they are booked. So, sustainability through minimizing upkeep is key. I admit, I am probably being more lenient on this than I would if it were residential, an office, or restaurant. But this is a local dude building a new music theater from the ground up, so maybe I'm more apt to compromise on design because the market needs it and those things can suck you under as fast as they make you rich.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Looks great! Love it! It will be a great addition. The design fits bricktown, its in scale with the surrounding buildings, uses brick, and has great interaction with the street. I see no problems here! Can't wait until it opens!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    This is very similar in design to the Brady Theatre in Tulsa, just without the prominent gable roof. I like it.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This is very similar in design to the Brady Theatre in Tulsa, just without the prominent gable roof. I like it.
    Yeah, pretty much and you got to assume the interior will be nicer just by default.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yeah, pretty much and you got to assume the interior will be nicer just by default.
    Not only nicer, but built from the ground up as a modern live music venue, with full consideration to acoustics, sight lines and other amenities.

    Might not have the history and charm but once the lights go down and the music starts cranking, you know this will be a great place to hear live music.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not only nicer, but built from the ground up as a modern live music venue, with full consideration to acoustics, sight lines and other amenities.

    Might not have the history and charm but once the lights go down and the music starts cranking, you know this will be a great place to hear live music.
    I agree. And I guess that's why I'm not too concerned with the exterior, so long as it doesn't offend the current bricktown aesthetic, which, from these drawings, I don't think it does.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    I love this project.. have been wanting something like it for a while. could the design be a bit more interesting?. sure. however it looks like a brick wharehouse and its in Bricktown. It could be much worse with lots of fake stucco ect. and windows in a music venue?. that isn't really needed.
    I hope this proceeds!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    A more ornate entrance would go a longggggg ways in the aesthetics.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    By way of comparison, the Bricktown Events Center is 24,000 square feet and the new 2nd level there will add about 5,600 SF.

    This project would be larger at more than 39,000 SF.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

    All the anti-design people are coming out of the wood work!
    I think it looks pretty good. All of Bricktown is square buildings or large brick walls. Concert halls are not supposed to have windows.
    They did use some varying brick designs on the wall and various brick heights in the corners.
    Also there will likely be things built all around it so why spend more money for designs on the east & west sides if it's going to be concealed?

    What else do you want?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best concert you've ever been to?
    By GoOKC1991 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
  2. Concert in Stillwater
    By TStheThird in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 08:09 PM
  3. Chicago Concert?
    By jameskris in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 09:57 AM
  4. Memorial concert??
    By Karried in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO