Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Criterion Concert Hall

1. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Some of the Stewart Fab buildings were kind of interesting. Especially the one with the big "Stewart" on the roof. But maybe that is my own personal bias

Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Some of the Stewart Fab buildings were kind of interesting. Especially the one with the big "Stewart" on the roof. But maybe that is my own personal bias
    You mean to tell me your name is NOT Cuatro De Mayo?

I think we've all been had.

Very excited to see the development on this end of Bricktown. It's always seemed to drag down the whole "entertainment district" milieu that Bricktown has been trying to foster for all these years. Whether you went east OUT of Bricktown and saw the dilapidated metal buildings as you left, or came INTO Bricktown from the east and felt you must have taken a wrong turn they just seemed out of place with the rest of the neighborhood. I am really looking forward to what's to come.

4. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

yes, I was joking.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

From the JR:

Dancing one step closer: Bricktown committee approves Criterion design, TIF questions remain

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 14, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Criterion’s developer, Matt Maley, heard words from the Bricktown Urban Design Committee that he’s been longing to hear since November: The project is approved.

Maley, with Colorado-based Alliance Investments LLC, is working with Wormy Dog Saloon owners Ronnye Farmer and Philip Randolph to build a 39,000-square-foot, two-story concert venue at the corner of E. Sheridan and Charlie Christian avenues. It will be across the street from The Steelyard mixed-use facility.

When the project was presented in November, Maley, Farmer and Randolph were asked to make changes to their design. The committee had concerns about the building’s boxy shapes and the use of stucco and brick veneers. The group returned in December with changes and received much more positive feedback, said Michael Philbrick, associate city planner. The design now has more window cutouts, and the entire building is now brick.

Yet the BUDC’s approval doesn’t signal the start of construction. Maley, Farmer and Randolph are seeking tax increment financing assistance. The project’s costs have increased by $1 million, to an estimated $6 million. Maley has previously said that the TIF funds would help bridge the gap between the original approved value and the existing estimated project costs. Maley was speaking with city officials about TIF funds on Thursday.

If the subsidy is not approved, Maley, Farmer and Randolph will have to reassess the project’s viability. Maley doesn’t think that will be the case, however.

“I’m feeling pretty optimistic about the TIF meeting,” he said. “I’m hoping it all goes well.”

If the project is approved, the group wants to start construction as soon as possible. Farmer and Randolph applied for building permits Wednesday. Maley said they want to break ground in February.

The Criterion will sit at 500 E. Sheridan Ave. The 420 E. Sheridan property was purchased by Joey Chiaf, the managing partner of CRJO LLC. The 500 and 420 E. Sheridan sites were home to the three remaining Stewart Metal Fabricators buildings, which have been demolished. The Criterion’s team and Chiaf worked together to remove the 420 E. Sheridan building.

Chiaf previously owned Bricktown’s IHOP building with partners in Bricktown Marketplace LLC. Chiaf and his group purchased the 40,000-square-foot lot for $2.4 million. They already owned the parcel at Joe Carter and E. Sheridan avenues; therefore, the 420 E. Sheridan Ave. purchase increased their land size to about 1.5 acres.

Blog Entries

Cool.

Is this a go? Any word about TIF for this or not?

No TIF has been approved as of yet.

Not sure where they stand in their application process.

That article is behind a paywall. I really hope this is approved though.

Here you go. From the JR:

Tuning up for TIF: Advisement Council recommends $350,000 for Criterion concert venue in Bricktown

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record February 10, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – An entertainment facility coming to Bricktown could receive tax increment financing district money.

The Criterion, a two-story concert venue, was approved this month by the city-staff-led TIF Advisement Council to receive a $350,000 incentive payment, which the developers would receive over an eight-year period. The city would also spend $100,000 to resurface the alley next to the development, said Brent Bryant, economic development program manager for Oklahoma City.

The TIF Advisement Council’s recommendation now goes to the TIF Review Committee, which will meet on Feb. 27. If approved by that committee, it will go to the City Council, which could give it a go-ahead. The city’ Economic Development Trust would then enter into an economic development agreement with the Criterion’s backers. Bryant expects that agreement to go before the council in May.

“We think that’s a venue the city doesn’t have, and it would be good for the city and the visitors,” Bryant said. “We want to do what we can to promote Oklahoma City and provide additional venues to our citizens and our visitors.”

The 39,000-square-foot Criterion is being developed by Matt Maley with Colorado-based Alliance Investments LLC and will be operated by Oklahoma City-based Levelland Productions owners Ronnye Farmer and Philip Randolph. The company also runs Tumbleweed Dance Hall in Stillwater and the Eufaula Cove Amphitheatre in Eufaula. The Criterion will sit at the corner of E. Sheridan and Charlie Christian avenues. It will be across the street from The Steelyard mixed-use facility.

Maley has long said that if the project did not receive TIF funding, he and Levelland would have to re-evaluate their financial options. He said he was pleased to hear the news.

“It was great that it was well-received,” he said. “We put a lot of work and thought into our proposal. It was exciting that the city was willing to work with us and help us bridge the gap in financing. It was good to hear positive feedback from government officials and (that) they’re behind us on this project.”

Bryant commended Maley and Levelland for bringing their banker to the presentation. He said Legacy Bank Senior Vice President Reeve Tarron helped answer the tough financing questions.

“I thought the committee came up with a reasonable recommendation,” Bryant said.

The project is expected to break ground this spring, as soon as its building permit is approved. Oklahoma City Plans Examiner Jesse Richards said the permit has been initially reviewed, with some information still needed.

Read more: Tuning up for TIF: Advisement Council recommends $350,000 for Criterion concert venue in Bricktown | The Journal Record

12. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

@dtOKCbuilds tweeted they are breaking ground on March 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    @dtOKCbuilds tweeted they are breaking ground on March 4th.
    Cool!

Of course, you probably won't be able to tell given the way the entire area is torn up for Sheridan and Steelyard.

Picture from today's groundbreaking:

Brrr! I wondered if they were going to postpone the groundbreaking. I'm excited to see this going forward.

At least the did it before they would have had to use a snow shovel.

Really happy to hear this is going forward. This, on top of a renovated Bricktown Events Center across the street, should draw some really great acts and add to the mix downtown.

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but I heard from a very good source that Live Nation will be affiliated with this project.

Live Nation ? Music & Live Events | Concert Tickets, Tour News, Venues

If you don't know them, they own, lease, operate, had booking rights for and/or had an equity interest in over 100 music venues around the U.S. and will bring incredible booking power with them.

I've also heard they will likely end up involved with the indoor/outdoor music venue at Chisholm Creek.

I think the music scene in OKC is getting ready to change pretty dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but I heard from a very good source that Live Nation will be affiliated with this project.

Live Nation ? Music & Live Events | Concert Tickets, Tour News, Venues

I think the music scene in OKC is getting ready to change pretty dramatically.
    If true, then definately. They bought House of Blues years ago and are the biggest promtion group / venue operators in the country. Agents can pretty much go to them and book a whole tour.

It makes sense that Live Nation is attached because otherwise there wouldn't be much to distinguish this venue from the Bricktown site.

This could be yet another missing piece of the puzzle for OKC, as we've all long lamented the lack of quality live music. Sounds like that is soon going to change in a big way.

This is great news.. Live Nation is HUGE booking power.. Arthur Fogel heads up the Global touring division of this company and basically ANY major tour you see is through Live Nation.
    this should get some great acts in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It makes sense that Live Nation is attached because otherwise there wouldn't be much to distinguish this venue from the Bricktown site.

This could be yet another missing piece of the puzzle for OKC, as we've all long lamented the lack of quality live music. Sounds like that is soon going to change in a big way.
    I completely agree. OKC has long pulled far below its weight in this area so hopefully those days are coming to an end. Just think of what a game changer for the entire state it will be if this venue is able to bring in events that draw people to OKC from the other end of the turnpike.

That is great news. I'm a firm believer in competition is better for the consumer which hopefully with them raising the stakes will require the other live acts to raise their game to be able to compete.

Frequent medium-sized concerts will also be a boon for all of Bricktown and the surrounding hotels.

In just a couple of years, Bricktown and East Bricktown in particular will be dramatically different.

Thread Information