Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Criterion Concert Hall

Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

I would have rathered them add a mural than windows, but these windows make it look better than it would with a blank wall. What is wrong with the size of the windows in the drawing above? What are the chances this won't be approved because of them?

From the staff report:

The windows proposed on the north elevation appear to be smaller in size and scale as compared to windows used on the older buildings. This has the effect of creating a greater proportion of brick to glazing resulting in a substantially greater area of solid brick wall. This effect could also be caused by the fact that there are not as many windows and therefore they are less tightly spaced. To address this, staff would suggest that the windows be enlarged.

3. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Steve has an update.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Steve has an update.
    Basically the same information.

Design Review at Work: More Revisions to the Criterion Music Hall in Bricktown | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Interesting that the major complaint here was lack of windows and a lot of people said it didn't need them.
    For its function, it doesn't need them. It's nice that they added them though.

IMO, this is going to be more about what's on the inside that counts and we still don't know much about that except a general floor plan.

I'm most interested in knowing whether the balcony / mezzanine will be theater style seating or standing. It looks like it might be standing which I think is a mistake unless it's more shallow than what it looks like. Mainly seating the 2nd level would grade it so sight lines in the back are preserved. That's kind of why I like the HOB in Dallas or Vegas a little better than the HOB in Chicago. I think standing on the main floor is good, but I think upper levels work best when they're shallow or graded.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I'm most interested in knowing whether the balcony / mezzanine will be theater style seating or standing. It looks like it might be standing which I think is a mistake unless it's more shallow than what it looks like. Mainly seating the 2nd level would grade it so sight lines in the back are preserved. That's kind of why I like the HOB in Dallas or Vegas a little better than the HOB in Chicago. I think standing on the main floor is good, but I think upper levels work best when they're shallow or graded.
    Plans show the 2nd level to be all standing.

And while it it somewhat deep, at the back are three bars and restrooms.

Here is the second floor plan; the labels are small but hopefully still readable:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Plans show the 2nd level to be all standing.

And while it it somewhat deep, at the back are three bars and restrooms.
    I wonder what the capacity break down is between the main floor and the mezzanine. Having a level floor on the 2nd level does present the option of tabled VIP seating against the railing for some shows, but when they're going for a capacity crowd, being more than 3 people deep up there will be frustrating.

Here is the ground floor:

11. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I wonder what the capacity break down is between the main floor and the mezzanine. Having a level floor on the 2nd level does present the option of tabled VIP seating against the railing for some shows, but when they're going for a capacity crowd, being more than 3 people deep up there will be frustrating.
    The plans seem to indicate more of a club than concert venue.

12. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

I did some quick math and determined that the advertised 4,200 capacity is only possible if the entire 1st & 2nd floor are standing space only. Seating would probably reduce the capacity to less than half of that by the time you include aisles, etc.

The only thing this building has in common with the Brady is 2 levels and a stage.

The doors and windows are a must for this project. The brick monolith was far too heavy visually. Also, windows are no hindrance to creating murals:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apar...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Whether any artwork goes on any building is much less important to me than that building's relation to the public realm, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    It reminds me of The Austin Music Hall with both the main floor and balcony flat.

15. Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    The doors and windows are a must for this project. The brick monolith was far too heavy visually. Also, windows are no hindrance to creating murals:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apar...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Whether any artwork goes on any building is much less important to me than that building's relation to the public realm, though.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It reminds me of The Austin Music Hall with both the main floor and balcony flat.
    yes that is exactly what I thought.. and for Austin Venues I prefer the moody theater to Austin Music Hall but have seen great shows in both.

A lot of venues have this configuration.

The only thing this building has in common with the Brady is 2 levels and a stage.
    Which is probably a good thing. It certainly is a different space and should be a lot nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    yes that is exactly what I thought.. and for Austin Venues I prefer the moody theater to Austin Music Hall but have seen great shows in both.
    The Moody opened up not long before I moved to Denver, never did go to a show there. A former co-worker did the AMH interiors.

Steve's update.

Proposed Bricktown concert hall design undergoes overhaul | NewsOK.com

Challenges by the Bricktown Design Review Committee — and the presence of a supportive banker — are being credited for an extensive redesign of a proposed Criterion concert hall that includes window openings, awnings, brick detailing and a grander marquee and entrance.

The new designs by Bucher Design Studio in Palmer Lake, Colo., add windows to both floors of the two-story building, with canopies over the first floor windows. Brick detailing and a roof cornice hearkens back to the district’s old warehouses.
    The proposed entryway for the concert hall includes a glass curtain wall — a key feature on the original Criterion — and a marquee shaped after the original theater sign.

It's amazing how the design review process works. We should go with it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's amazing how the design review process works. We should go with it more often.
    You think? LOL

Just look at the design difference.

If you just make a few recommendations before rubber stamping the application....it makes all the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Just look at the design difference.

If you just make a few recommendations before rubber stamping the application....it makes all the difference
    Both look unimaginative IMHO.

I really like the proposed changes. It's not quite as good as rebuilding the original Criterion but it still looks awesome. Glad to see the design review process worked in this case.

Thread Information