Widgets Magazine

Thread: 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees

Default 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees

Green Day; Nine Inch Nails; N.W.A.; Joan Jett and the Blackhearts; Lou Reed; The Smiths; The Spinners; Sting; Chic; Kraftwerk; The Marvelettes; Bill Withers; War; Stevie Ray Vaughan; and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

My vote is Joan Jett, Sting, Bill Withers, SRV, Lou Reed.

2. Default Re: 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees

OK, how is SRV not ALREADY there? It's been 25 years since he died, fercryinoutloud.

Default Re: 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees

^ Certainly SRV is deserving and long overdue. I can't figure out the Paul Butterfield delay either. Paul died in 1987 and PBBB was the start of the career of many greats.

Lou needs to be in there, one of my favorites forever, one of the most influential musicians in R&R ever...

5. Default Re: 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees

Here's how I see each nominee:

• Green Day: this one's a joke, right? I mean, I like them fine, but RRHOF material?
    • Nine Inch Nails: probably deserve to be there one day. I'm not sure today is that day though.
    • N.W.A.: probably most deserving of the lot.
    • Joan Jett and the Blackhearts: also probably deserving, though I hope the Runaways are there already if she makes it. I honestly don't know if they are.
    • Lou Reed: DEFINITELY belongs. Although Velvet Underground was a more important act.
    • The Smiths: definitely. Influential like Velvet Underground/Reed.
    • The Spinners: sure.
    • Sting: I guess so. Hard to make an argument against, I guess. Don't get me wrong; I like Sting. But again, his band was far more important.
    • Chic: absolutely. Is anyone here aware that Madonna's "Like a Virgin" is essentially a Chic album, only with Madge singing? And Nile Rodgers is actually MORE deserving than his band in this case.
    • Kraftwerk: besides N.W.A., this is the act in this lot that probably most profoundly changed music as we know it today. They were making music in the early and mid-seventies that sounds like what everyone else started making in the mid to late eighties. And today. HUGELY influential.
    • The Marvelettes: Motown's first successful girl group? How can you deny them?
    • Bill Withers: he's not there already? Dumb.
    • War: sure.
    • SRV: HE'S not there already? Triple dumb.
    • PBBB: also hugely influential.

Actually sort of a tough group to cull out. I would start with Green Day.

Green Day; Nine Inch Nails; N.W.A.; Joan Jett and the Blackhearts; Lou Reed; The Smiths; The Spinners; Sting; Chic; Kraftwerk; The Marvelettes; Bill Withers; War; Stevie Ray Vaughan; and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
    Okay . . . I've heard all these names. (Except for Chic)

The only ones that actually mean anything to me are:
    Joan Jett and The Blackhearts (I love rock and roll, but I never bought one of their records)
    Lou Reed (never took a walk on the wild side. nor did I make any record purchases, but I liked a few of his songs)
    Sting (was better when he was in The Police)
    The Marvelettes (a tribute to Motown)
    War (weren't they Eric Burdon's backup band for awhile?)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan (two or three of his cassettes and maybe one CD)
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (one CD. A double best-of).

Obviously, the only logical choice is Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    (gawd I'm out of the loop, musicwise . . .)

I don't get all the hudbubb about JJ and the Blackhearts. Yes they had some hits back in the day but thru some careful research youll find that a majority of those hits were covers. And Green Day jeesh cmon.
    And meanwhile Deep Purple still isn't in.....not that it means a whole bunch anymores.

Always a controversy when the nominees list comes out. Partly due to everyone's opinion of what Rock and Roll is. Plus the why the heck aren't they already in there factor. Some of them I agree, some I don't. It would make a cool road trip someday.

Frankly, I don't think that any of the nominees are Rock and Rollers.
    Even SRV is more of a BluzArtist. Ain't he?
    Plus . . . to visit the Hall o' Fame you'd have to go to Cleveland.
    And that is even more strange than the entire concept.

Without even getting into all of the [I don't get all the hudbubb], to which was previously referred ^.

Those tasked with elevating musicians to the status of Hall of Famers (in Cleveland) at least know what hudbubb is. At least I hope they do. =)
    Edited to Add: imho

I hear that David Crosby and Neil Young are at each other's throats again.
    But it's probably simply publicity seeking.
    Neither one of them have ever been Rock and Rollers. =)

10. Default Re: 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees

I don't see NIN being there before groups like Skinny Puppy (One of Trent's influence - he admited that Down In it was based on SP's Dig It), Caberet Volitare, or Throbbing Gristle (SP's influences) or the like. The only thing that NIN did was watered it down for mass consumption, and wrote poppy lyrics.
    Green Day same thing, so many of their influencers in the punk scene and I don't consider Green day punk, more like pop with punk undertones. Then again I would rather see Dayglo Abortions in there, that to me is punk.

And when is Weird Al getting nominated? He really needs to be in there by now.

Thread Information