Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 625

Thread: Voter ID Laws

  1. #126

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    If you believe something must be a rampant violation of a law to effect an election you aren't looking at this issue correctly. One vote decides some elections. If that vote was illegally cast it disenfranchises the will of the people.

  2. #127

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    If you believe something must be a rampant violation of a law to effect an election you aren't looking at this issue correctly. One vote decides some elections. If that vote was illegally cast it disenfranchises the will of the people.
    Voter fraud can also be called: Polling tax, Redistricting, Voter ID laws, Early voting cancellations, Super PAC, Citizens United and etc.

    You have to be kidding me with the one vote argument? Name the last time one vote made a difference!

  3. #128

  4. #129

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Wow. That's a surprisingly short list considering it seems to be considering all national and state elections in the US and Canada. I can't even imagine how many elections that includes. I have to assume that list is not comprehensive.

    It'd be interesting to see how many elections were within a 2% margin, as it was estimated earlier that 2% of the electorate would be negatively affected by voter ID laws.

  5. #130

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Wow. That's a surprisingly short list considering it seems to be considering all national and state elections in the US and Canada. I can't even imagine how many elections that includes. I have to assume that list is not comprehensive.

    It'd be interesting to see how many elections were within a 2% margin, as it was estimated earlier that 2% of the electorate would be negatively affected by voter ID laws.
    Short? Yes.

    Even shorter considering it is a worldwide list, not just USA and Canada.

    Probably not comprehensive is my guess.

    Nonetheless, the focus on exactly 1 fraudulent vote is just laughable. The fact that an estimated 2% of the valid and legitimate electorate would be cut out of voting, disenfranchised, is completely overlooked and is unimportant in the face of what amounts to an almost winning-the-lottery-sized chance of a fraudulent vote, I just....

    Nevermind. Facts were never in this conversation anyway.

    This is the perfect example of a solution in search of a problem.

  6. #131

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    If you believe something must be a rampant violation of a law to effect an election you aren't looking at this issue correctly. One vote decides some elections. If that vote was illegally cast it disenfranchises the will of the people.
    Texas has required some form of identification to vote at the polls since 2003. In the decade after, before the new law imposed even stricter requirements, some 20 million votes were cast, Solicitor General Donald B. Verrilli Jr. told the justices, while “only two cases of in-person voter-impersonation fraud were prosecuted to conviction.”
    So in 20 million votes, 2 cases of fraud were found. So thats obviously why Texas' old ID law wasnt sufficient and they needed to enact the strictest in the nation... Two cases out of 20 million will disenfranchise voters but forcing 600,000 to pay essentially a poll tax wont, huh? Some logic.

    I suspect after this election this will be revisited in the Supreme Court. The SC squashed Wisconsin's and it wasnt as bad as TX. I think it was a matter of being so close to the election why its staying right now.

  7. #132

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    You have a problem with reading.

    So in 20 million votes, 2 cases of fraud were found.
    It said two cases where they prosecuted and they convicted someone.

  8. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the proof that voter fraud is rampant.
    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I think you're being selectively ignorant.
    Post 73 is below for the reading inpaired
    I'm selective in some sources used as in not believing Townhall.com which is a extremely conservative site when they say "Obama Likely Won Re-Election Through Election Fraud" Here's the link to the article since you didn't post it. Obama Likely Won Re-Election Through Election Fraud - Rachel Alexander - Page full I'm not sure what polls said Romney was going to win the election or what numerous reputable polls and pundits predicted would be an easy win for Romney. So lets take it by talking points.

    1. According to the Columbus Dispatch, one out of every five registered voters in Ohio is ineligible to vote *** Is there any proof these ineligible voters actually voted?
    2. An additional 31 of Ohio's 88 counties have voter registration rates over 90% **** again anything to show how many of them voted and were they ineligible?
    3. Videographer James O'Keefe, known for his undercover videos exposing left wing fraud, **** is that the same James O'Keefe who was busted for editing footage to make it look like people were committing voter fraud? How much 'voter fraud' did he uncover?


    Your second one from the Democratic Underground covers the same Ohio counties as the first article so nothing new. The author said for a couple counties the registration level was 131% of the persons of voting age, however he got his numbers for the voting age from was to go to the U.S. census bureau and pull the estimates for the individual cities and then compared them to the number of registered voters on the Cuyahoga County Board of Election's website. The problem with that is the census was in 2000 and the election was in 2004. No telling how many people turned 1`8 or moved to those counties in those 4 years. All this plus there is nothing that verifies this guys numbers other than his say so.

    Your last one uses TrueTheVote as a source and I've already shown where TrueTheVote has provided false information on several occasions. They also use WorldNetDaily as a source and I won't even begin on those fools .

    So I wasn't being 'selectively ignorant' or reading impaired, I wasn't just buying ignorant data being fed to me.

  9. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Do you have any proof those close elections were decided by voter fraud?

  10. #135

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Do you have any proof those close elections were decided by voter fraud?
    What makes you think they were? Can't see how you would have brought fraud into the question. The reply was to answer about the elections decided by one vote. Nothing at all to do with fraud. The point being, it was implied that a small number of illegal votes would have no consequence. I replied with the Wiki link to a number of tie elections plus many with close races.

  11. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    What makes you think they were? Can't see how you would have brought fraud into the question. The reply was to answer about the elections decided by one vote. Nothing at all to do with fraud. The point being, it was implied that a small number of illegal votes would have no consequence. I replied with the Wiki link to a number of tie elections plus many with close races.
    I never said I thought they were. I asked you because you posted "

    If you believe something must be a rampant violation of a law to effect an election you aren't looking at this issue correctly. One vote decides some elections. If that vote was illegally cast it disenfranchises the will of the people. " and then a link to close elections so I asked you that question. Since you have no proof close or any other elections have been decided by fraud your point is moot.

  12. #137

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    You have a problem with reading.



    It said two cases where they prosecuted and they convicted someone.
    No, I dont have a problem with reading. I was pointing out what we know, 2 out of 20 million, or .0000001% of votes were found to be fraudulently cast. I cant sit here and assume there are hundreds or thousands of fraud cases out there, only conservatives can.

    Again, the SC actually stopped Wisc's ID law, I imagine they will do the same to TX's once this election is over.

  13. #138

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No, I dont have a problem with reading. I was pointing out what we know, 2 out of 20 million, or .0000001% of votes were found to be fraudulently cast. I cant sit here and assume there are hundreds or thousands of fraud cases out there, only conservatives can.

    Again, the SC actually stopped Wisc's ID law, I imagine they will do the same to TX's once this election is over.
    Again, for the reading impaired; you said 2 cases of fraud were found. You can't possibly prove that only two were found. The article states two convictions due to fraud. Big difference.

  14. #139

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Again, for the reading impaired; you said 2 cases of fraud were found. You can't possibly prove that only two were found. The article states two convictions due to fraud. Big difference.
    I'll play this exercise.

    If these laws went into effect nationwide, and if the estimated 2% of legitimate voters will be cut out of the election process, on a national level that is around 2.3 million legitimate and valid votes (2% of approximately 115 million votes) being disenfranchised. Is there any reason at all to believe that national voting fraud approaches 2.3 million votes? There is no evidence of this whatsoever.

    Going back to the 20 million votes from Texas - 2% translates to 400,000 legitimate and valid votes being excluded. Is there any evidence of 400,000 fraudulent votes being cast, much less in-person ones? The answer is absolutely not.

    Again, there is no evidence of voter fraud that comes even close. Not. Even. CLOSE.

  15. #140

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Strawman. The ones disengaged being disenfranchised is the problem of whatever political group they'd be in support of to get them the needed IDs to vote legally. My opinion is, the Democrats don't want voter ID b/c they're the party that's benefitting from illegal voting.

  16. #141

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Strawman. The ones disengaged being disenfranchised is the problem of whatever political group they'd be in support of to get them the needed IDs to vote legally. My opinion is, the Democrats don't want voter ID b/c they're the party that's benefitting from illegal voting.
    The only thing you have proved is that voter fraud is just as likely to happen as a one vote election. Bravo!

  17. #142

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Again, we start using fear over facts. Fraud happens, but at such a small amount, it would never decide an election. Voter suppression is happening and it has been proven and it is right in front of our eyes.

  18. #143

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    The integrity of our democracy relies on the integrity of the voting process. Democrats prefer that the US become a Third World country.

  19. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Strawman. The ones disengaged being disenfranchised is the problem of whatever political group they'd be in support of to get them the needed IDs to vote legally. My opinion is, the Democrats don't want voter ID b/c they're the party that's benefitting from illegal voting.
    Yes, it seems that many of those who object to requiring an ID to vote are concerned less about "voter disenfranchisement", than "Democrat-voter disenfranchisement", as if getting an ID is so gosh-darn difficult or expensive. I bet those disenfranchised masses would not find it too difficult or expensive to get an ID in order to cash a welfare or social security check. Yes, the cheaters are always the loudest to howl when the rules are changed to reduce the ability for them to cheat. Let 'em howl and I'll see you at the polls.

  20. #145

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    The integrity of our democracy relies on the integrity of the voting process. Democrats prefer that the US become a Third World country.
    Oh cool! A new spin on an old game! The ol' write your own non sequitur game!

    The integrity of our democracy relies on the integrity of the voting process. Republicans prefer that the US become a Third World country.

    Did I play that right?

  21. #146

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Can you imagine what would have became of our democracy back in the days of our founding fathers if not for the strict voter ID requirements at that time?
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

  22. #147

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    At that time of our forefathers we were a Third World country but there was no anonymity. If you weren't a male and a land owner you didn't vote. IDs weren't needed.

    non sequitur - a conclusion not related to the argument. In fact my statement very much did follow the argument. The US is one of the very few advanced countries that don't require voter IDs. In 3rd world countries, and in ghettos of advanced countries, fraudulant voting is practically the norm.
    Third World Chaos and Voter Fraud Disrupts UK Elections - The New Observer

  23. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    At that time of our forefathers we were a Third World country but there was no anonymity. If you weren't a male and a land owner you didn't vote. IDs weren't needed.
    So we were a 3rd world country at the time of our forefathers and "Democrats prefer that the US become a Third World country. " Guess that means Democrats want the country to be what our forefathers wanted.

  24. #149

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    I'm amazed that conservative bastion that is Canada is able to operate with all those disenfranchised voters, what with their national voter ID laws....

  25. #150

    Default Re: Voter ID Laws

    Who says they wanted to be a third world country? We were 3rd world in that we were a new country. Although you fail at connecting the dots, you're at least Olympic caliber in conclusion jumping.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 07:43 PM
  2. Right Wing Voter Fraud in New Hampshire
    By Double Edge in forum Politics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM
  3. Important Voter information...
    By SoonerQueen in forum Politics
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 10:50 PM
  4. voter fraud
    By fromdust in forum Politics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM
  5. Voter ID requirement
    By Intrepid in forum Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO