Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Voter ID Laws

1. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

2. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    fify.
    Just so you're aware of my position, I do not oppose showing ID to vote, but it should be the ID you get when you register to vote, and there should not be any more restrictions put upon the ID a voter must present, since it's been shown that there is no widespread or rampant voter fraud.

3. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Are you ignoring the direct quote from Jim Greer above? Pretty cut and dried, if you ask me, no false claims about "KNOW"ing something, the dude said it.
    Where are the massive numbers of Republicans admitting to this?

5. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

I read the link you provided and the first link it uses is ScienceDirect and although I didn't want to pay the $19.95 to read the article it did provide some highlights but again I didn't see any numbers. If you want to purchase the article I'll read it.

In the second link from that article uses data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Study it has some numbers and did say that non-citizen participation was large enough to plausibly account for Democratic victories in a few close elections. Their conclusion was based on "Our best guess" There were a lot of they could have's or may have been possible but again no hard facts this did happen.

This article also said "We also find that one of the favorite policies advocated by conservatives to prevent voter fraud appears strikingly ineffective. Nearly three quarters of the non-citizens who indicated they were asked to provide photo identification at the polls claimed to have subsequently voted." The article went on to say "There are obvious limitations to our research, which one should take account of when interpreting the results. Although the CCES sample is large, the non-citizen portion of the sample is modest, with the attendant uncertainty associated with sampling error. We analyze only 828 self-reported non-citizens. Self-reports of citizen status might also be a source of error, although the appendix of our paper shows that the racial, geographic, and attitudinal characteristics of non-citizens (and non-citizen voters) are consistent with their self-reported status." and it ends with "Our research cannot answer whether the United States should move to legalize some electoral participation by non-citizens as many other countries do, and as some U.S. states did for more than 100 years, or find policies that more effectively restrict it."

So to sum up your link it does raise some interesting points but doesn't have any facts, just assumptions and guess's, as article it's self points out "Finally, extrapolation to specific state-level or district-level election outcomes is fraught with substantial uncertainty."

Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Thankfully the Texas voter ID law is now in effect because otherwise this 93 year old veteran would have likely voted fraudulently. Good thing he was turned away from the polling place...

Texas Election Judge Had To Turn Away 93-Year-Old Veteran Due To Strict Voter ID Law | ThinkProgress

7. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Thankfully the Texas voter ID law is now in effect because otherwise this 93 year old veteran would have likely voted fraudulently. Good thing he was turned away from the polling place...

Texas Election Judge Had To Turn Away 93-Year-Old Veteran Due To Strict Voter ID Law | ThinkProgress
    Good deal, he was obviously a danger to our way of life.

I assumed they offered him a provisional ballot? That's why they have them, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I assumed they offered him a provisional ballot? That's why they have them, correct?
    I dont believe you even get to fill out a provisional ballot without the proper 7 forms of ID.

10. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

I'm confused, are elderly veterans exempted from following election laws or something? If so, is it an exemption for the elderly, a exemption for veterans, or does it have to be a combination of both? e.g., could a young veteran or an elderly non-veteran not expect to be exempt from the law? Also, is this exemption limited to just election laws or are are we talking all laws in general?

I dont believe you even get to fill out a provisional ballot without the proper 7 forms of ID.
    Then that's another serious flaw... I believe a sane voter ID law should have a provisional ballot policy, as well as a sworn affidavit option. And unless the ballot is specifically challenged, it should be accepted.

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I hate to be one of those people and maybe it is because I am young but I think voting needs to be easier. Online would be nice so I could do it from work. As it stands now I don't really enjoy taking a break from work, drive to my polling station then waiting in line.

Call me lazy but online voting would be really nice.
    Here in Colorado we have our ballots mailed out to us. We can then fill it out and mail it back. I get an email notification when it is mailed to me and another when they receive it. So nice to not have to go to the polls.

One unintended consequence of the new voter ID laws is the disenfranchisement of hundreds of thousands of senior citizens, who are largely conservative. Laws designed to keep minorities from voting may actually be helping the very candidates they want to defeat.

14. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Quote Originally Posted by EricOK View Post
    One unintended consequence of the new voter ID laws is the disenfranchisement of hundreds of thousands of senior citizens, who are largely conservative. Laws designed to keep minorities from voting may actually be helping the very candidates they want to defeat.

I think that number is a bit overstated, but whatever. So, now that your realize that the laws apply to everyone equally (not just liberals like some suggest), do you agree that they are a good thing in principle?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Here in Colorado we have our ballots mailed out to us. We can then fill it out and mail it back. I get an email notification when it is mailed to me and another when they receive it. So nice to not have to go to the polls.
    This I like. I have heard a few states that do this. I wonder if it increases voter turnout

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I think that number is a bit overstated, but whatever. So, now that your realize that the laws apply to everyone equally (not just liberals like some suggest), do you agree that they are a good thing in principle?
    The possibility that the negative effects of voter ID laws will affect more people than intended makes them worse, not more principled.

No, I do not. You shouldnt have to spend money to be able to vote.

And even though its funny to hear of the few unintended consequences of this law, it still doesnt apply to everyone equally. There is a reason you arent seeing blue states rush out to enact voter id laws. It overwhelmingly affects mostly left leaning voters, plain and simple.

There is a reason you arent seeing blue states rush out to enact voter id laws. It overwhelmingly affects mostly left leaning voters, plain and simple.
    Ah, the conservative strongholds of Indiana, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Michigan, and Rhode Island. All of which have stricter voting laws than Oklahoma.

19. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

I'm still waiting for the proof that voter fraud is rampant.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I think you're being selectively ignorant.
    Post 73 is below for the reading inpaired

Obama Likely Won Re-Election Through Election Fraud ...
    townhall.com/columnists/.../2012/11/.../page/full
    Townhall.com
    Nov 11, 2012 - In at least two counties in Ohio, the number of registered voters exceeded the number of eligible adults who are of voting age. In northwestern ...
    The Three Pillars of Election Fraud | U. S. Politics
    beforeitsnews.com/u-s.../the-three-pillars-of-election-fraud-2475268.htm...
    6 hours ago - In at least two counties in Ohio, the number of registered voters exceeded the number of eligible adults who are of voting age. In northwestern ...
    Ohio counties w Registration exceeding 100% of the voting age ...

www.democraticunderground.com/.../duboard....
    Democratic Underground
    100+ posts - ‎52 authors
    The way I determined the number of eligible Persons of Voting Age (PAV) was to go to ... In at least 8 cases, these registration levels exceeded 120% of the PAV's. .... for Union County and came up with 95 to 98 percent of adults registered to vote ..... Ohio "two other counties have discovered possible cases of people voting ...
    VOTER ID is vital for a fair and honest election. - Lifestyle ...

patch.com/wisconsin/...wi/we-need-voter-id-in-wisconsin
    Patch Media
    Apr 25, 2014 - In at least two counties in Ohio, the number of registered voters exceeded the number of eligible adults who are of voting age. In northwestern ...
    A Petition For Redress: Investigate Election Fraud · Recount ...
    recountthevote.com/
    Nov 13, 2012 - In at least two counties in Ohio, the number of registered voters exceeded the number of eligible adults who are of voting age. In northwestern .

21. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    The problem doesn't have to be rampant in order for us to make sure it doesn't get that way.

This is like saying a law that prohibits people from sleeping on park benches applies to everyone, regardless of economic standing.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    You're wasting your time. There have been hundreds of examples posted. It only takes so long trying to convince the wet person with water falling out of the sky that it's raining before you move on.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Can you repost with the links? I went to post 73 and those links do not work as they are shortened.

25. Default Re: Voter ID Laws

Some people's definition of "rampant" is obviously much different than other interpretations of the word. I prefer to go with Merriam-Webster's definition (2b):

Rampant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

"b : profusely widespread"

Yes, there is voter fraud, but it is nowhere near rampant, widespread, all over the place, significant, etc., not enough to need new, more restrictive voter ID laws. It's well-known what the real purpose of these laws are, just like the real purpose of the anti-abortion-clinic laws (hint, it's not about the safety, it's to restrict and eventually make abortions as hard to get as possible).

Thread Information