Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Default Re: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Hate to bring this back from the dead but....
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...ports%20pepper
    JB,
    I bought the Marconi brand online but it was a little pricey, glad Walmart now carries them. They are good, not as spicy as I expected, but I have sliced them and used them on salad and I like them a little better than pepperoncini peppers.
    C. T.

Does Walmart indeed carry them? Or is it walmart.com? When I check store availability near me, nobody in my area has them.

To be fair, the Mustang Walmart, despite supposedly winning an award for best store, has insanely bad inventory. When you ask if they can stock something, they tell you they have no influence over that, they just put what the trucks deliver onto the shelves.

3. Default Re: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Hate to bring this back from the dead but....
    Dang.... Was hoping you were bringing Cal's back from the dead. =+(

Had heard rumors at one time they would re-open but I'm not holding out much hope for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Dang.... Was hoping you were bringing Cal's back from the dead. =+(

Had heard rumors at one time they would re-open but I'm not holding out much hope for that now.
    I was so excited to see this thread come back to life... I was really hoping to hear some italian beef deliciousness was on it's way back to OKC. You raised my hopes and then dashed them quite expertly.

Yeah, you can order sport peppers from Walmart and from Amazon too, but no local Walmart stores carry them - or any other local store, for that matter, that I can find. The hubby and I resorted to growing and pickling our own... those little peppers actually grow extremely well here in OK and are really easy to pickle. We've got enough to last us a good while now!

I believe that Uptown Grocery on May has sport peppers.

Dammit. How did I miss this place?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I believe that Uptown Grocery on May has sport peppers.
    I wonder if they have the Chicago-style giardiniera too... That stuff is just as hard to come by too. We were lucky enough to get a couple of quart jars of Dell'Alpe from Lovera's in Krebs when we were out that way this spring, but Krebs is not exactly close, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I wonder if they have the Chicago-style giardiniera too... That stuff is just as hard to come by too. We were lucky enough to get a couple of quart jars of Dell'Alpe from Lovera's in Krebs when we were out that way this spring, but Krebs is not exactly close, lol.
    Theoretically, they do at the Village location:

https://shopping.uptowngroceryco.com...rd=giardiniera

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Theoretically, they do at the Village location:

https://shopping.uptowngroceryco.com...rd=giardiniera
    I appreciate the link! Unfortunately, that appears to be Italian Mix, which is kinda similar, but isn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I appreciate the link! Unfortunately, that appears to be Italian Mix, which is kinda similar, but isn't the same.
    I got some at potbellys about as close as you can come to the real stuff

Mediterranean Deli might be a spot to try too.

Family and I were big fans of this place when they were at Hefner Rd. and Rockwell.

Was driving last night and noticed “Coming Soon” signage for them at the northeast corner of NW Expressway and Rockwell (right next door to Papa John’s).

We used to go weekly. I hope it’s run but the same family because they were always super friendly and the food was awesome.

Excited about this, a good Chicago-style hot dog is one of the few food items I can't find in the Metro. (Assuming I'm not forgetting about a restaurant.)

Quote Originally Posted by mobstam View Post
    Family and I were big fans of this place when they were at Hefner Rd. and Rockwell.

Was driving last night and noticed “Coming Soon” signage for them at the northeast corner of NW Expressway and Rockwell (right next door to Papa John’s).

We used to go weekly. I hope it’s run but the same family because they were always super friendly and the food was awesome.
    only had a few not awesome experiences, and that was if you go there right as they were opening, it's like the grill wasn't up to temp or something yet, and both times we did that, our food was barely warm... but every other experience i had there was amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Excited about this, a good Chicago-style hot dog is one of the few food items I can't find in the Metro. (Assuming I'm not forgetting about a restaurant.)
    FREDDY'S. They use Vienna Beef franks, sport peppers, tomato, and relish.

Glad to see Cal's is finally making a comeback! Hope the location right on NW Expressway helps him do better business... I can't go through italian beef withdrawals again!

FREDDY'S. They use Vienna Beef franks, sport peppers, tomato, and relish.
    Freddy's version is pretty close, though they use a top-split, plain hotdog bun instead of the side-split poppyseed bun that most Chicago joints use. Aside from that, they sling a solid Chicago dog.

There's also Callahan's Chicago Dogs; they operate two hotdog carts that appear in various places in the Metro, and mostly use Vienna Beef products. Callahan's makes some pretty fantastic Chicago dogs, but they also have other options on the menu too like a polish sausage, chili cheese dog, Mac dog, etc. They also serve italian beef, but they don't seem to have them every time they go out. They post where they'll be set up on both Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hotdogChi/) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/DCallahanokc); they were usually in front of Edna's on Friday and Saturday nights, but it looks like they've switched to setting up in front of Native Brothers Dispensary on N May on weekends. Check their Facebook/Twitter to confirm location before you go though.

Had no idea about Callahan's, definitely going to have to check them out. Thanks for the info!

I went by there today, It is just as good as the old location.

Quote Originally Posted by mobstam View Post

The old Jamba Juice location? I'll have to make a trip.

I wish I was still driving, I really enjoyed their food at the original location.
    C. T.

Pretty good place, great wet Italian beef sandwiches and meatball or sausage heroes. The Chicago Dog is pretty good, and after checking out Callahan's and Doggiestyle (at the now closed Edmond location and currently operating food truck) I can confidently declare that the best (or at least, my favorite) Chicago Dog can be had at Fassler Hall. It's very obvious that it's grilled which is much nicer than a dirty water hot dog and it never disappoints. I think that it's an easy 7 bucks.

Thread Information