Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

We went to Cal's for the first time yesterday. I had the gyros burger, which was good but way too huge for a sane man to finish in one sitting (I finished it in one sitting). Pretty good place. The Italian beef & sausage was damn tasty, and I look forward to trying a few more things on the menu soon. I hope the joint's successful.

Finally made it to Cal's.

Italian Beef sausage was great but overall the sandwich is dry, I should have had it dipped but it wasn't an option on their menu. Fries are tasty but that relish on the Chicago dog just won't cut it, sport peppers are harder to find than the neon relish, come on Cal.

Ask for it dipped - they'll do it That's how I get mine every time.

The BF and I visited again two weekends ago... They've resolved our chief complaint with their Italian Beef sandwiches - namely, the hot giardiniera peppers is now the real stuff and trucked down from Chicago. Cal's doing it right and it's probably the best you'll find in Oklahoma. Now if we could just convince them to expand and bring some of that beefy goodness to someplace closer to the south side!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    The BF and I visited again two weekends ago... They've resolved our chief complaint with their Italian Beef sandwiches - namely, the hot giardiniera peppers is now the real stuff and trucked down from Chicago. Cal's doing it right and it's probably the best you'll find in Oklahoma. Now if we could just convince them to expand and bring some of that beefy goodness to someplace closer to the south side!
    Very good to hear, hopefully the bread is the right kind too, we miss Buona Beef from up there (and a few other Italian Beef joints, but they were our favorites), we might go try them now.

Well, I've been needing a reason to get back over there and you just gave it to me. Pumped as its been several months since I've had a combo with hot giardiniera.

Got me curious now.

The bread is... well, it's certainly no Turano or Gonnella... but it's not too far off the mark. It's hard to find bread with the right consistency and crust down here, unfortunately. But honestly, whatever they use right now makes for a decent Beef. It's definitely worth a try, at least.

The bread is... well, it's certainly no Turano or Gonnella... but it's not too far off the mark. It's hard to find bread with the right consistency and crust down here, unfortunately. But honestly, whatever they use right now makes for a decent Beef. It's definitely worth a try, at least.
    Cool. good to know it's not the same crap Hillbilly was passing off as French bread a while back, thx, will try to make it there soon!

I didn't read anyone post whether or not the buns are steamed for the Chicago dogs or whether they're just dry or (worse) toasted like too many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanOkie View Post
    I didn't read anyone post whether or not the buns are steamed for the Chicago dogs or whether they're just dry or (worse) toasted like too many other places.
    I have to admit, I've only had a couple of their Chicago dogs - I don't get to go very often because of how far they are from me, and when I do go I'm looking for a beef - but I do think they steamed the bun on the ones I've had. That's been a while back though. I do know they were NOT toasted. Could always call 'em and ask!

Finally made my way out there. I got the italian beef & sausage. I was asked if I wanted mine dipped. Didn't know if that was the meat or not, and said sure. Turns out it was the bread. WIth drink came out to a little above $11. The cost of the chicago dog is now $4. Not bad. Friend got a philly cheese steak which begs the question, why is this on the menu?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Finally made my way out there. I got the italian beef & sausage. I was asked if I wanted mine dipped. Didn't know if that was the meat or not, and said sure. Turns out it was the bread. WIth drink came out to a little above $11. The cost of the chicago dog is now $4. Not bad. Friend got a philly cheese steak which begs the question, why is this on the menu?
    The chicken philly is actually really good (great spices, wife ordered it, I had the beef sandwich - dry, 'cos I had lived in Chicago and knew dipped was the bread dipped, and wet was with the au jus poured over it, and the dry was actually too soggy, sadly, but still tasted good). Not sure why the philly's on the menu (maybe his partner's from Philly or they lived there once, or ....), but the chicken one's worth trying. His pepper mixture is pretty much like it is in Chicago, and his bread is pretty good, wish Hillbilly would use it for their po-boys, might actually go back to them if they did.

Sweet Deals is running a half-off promotion here; $50 worth of gift certificates for $25. http://www.sweetdealscumulus.com/dea...style-eatery-1

I just got a message from Groupon saying that Cal's has closed. Can anyone nearby confirm?

Blog Entries

well that stinks

17. Default Re: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Agreed it stinks... I just ate there a few weeks ago and they had a decent lunch crowd that day.

I can confirm the sign was off the building yesterday when I drove by

Definitely agreed that it stinks... My fiance is from Chicago and when he gets a craving for a beef, that was where we went. I sent them an e-mail from their website asking for info and if they plan to reopen anywhere... I'm really hoping they will.

Not closed for good, moving up towards Edmond somewhere.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Wonderful news! I selfishly wish they'd open up somewhere close to Bricktown so I could grab it for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    That's a relief! Though that's going to mean we have to drive even further for a taste of Chicago now... I'm kind of selfish, I was really hoping they'd move somewhere near downtown. Any info on when and where they'll reopen?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Wonderful news! I selfishly wish they'd open up somewhere close to Bricktown so I could grab it for lunch.
    Apparently, great minds think alike, haha! My sentiments exactly.

23. Default Re: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Saw through The Flying Pig BBQ's FB page that Let's Do Greek will be moving into this location. Hope that Let's Do Greek can make a go of it here... This spot is gaining a reputation as a restaurant black hole.

I had heard that Cal's would be reopening elsewhere but haven't seen any info on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Saw through The Flying Pig BBQ's FB page
    Not to take it off topic...but what's your thoughts on The Flying Pig BBQ? Hes my neighbor...and the trailer is parked at the house quite a bit. He's always posting up to the neighborhood, when he's got leftovers..to come and get them...but have never tried his Q. Just curious to know where he ranks in your opinion.

25. Default Re: Cal's Chicago Style Eatery

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Not to take it off topic...but what's your thoughts on The Flying Pig BBQ? Hes my neighbor...and the trailer is parked at the house quite a bit. He's always posting up to the neighborhood, when he's got leftovers..to come and get them...but have never tried his Q. Just curious to know where he ranks in your opinion.
    It is my favorite commercial BBQ in OKC right now. Especially the ribs. I'd put their ribs as some of the best I've had anywhere.

I'm really hoping they open a brick and mortar location so I don't have to chase the truck.

Thread Information