Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Entertainment Value

1. Question No Entertainment Value

Midwest City has no real entertainment activities at all...

A recent discussion with a buddy who moved out of state resulted in the following thought process and fueled our discussion.

There is nothing to do in Midwest City. (Besides bowling at Plant Bowl or skating at the Skating Rink.)

We traded our movie theaters for nursing homes, open lots, empty buildings and a church. We even traded our putt-putt course for a funeral home.

Then, this realization came (I'm in my late 20's), Midwest City is perfect for anyone who is 40 years old or older. Why?

It feels like the City of Midwest City is getting the entire city ready to retire instead of fueling enthusiasm and growing our city for the future.

But wait, are there not new Thunder themed basket ball courts, or a large park with "newish" jungle gyms. Also, you can't forget the parks with walking trails, even the dog park. We also have a pool and spray parks! Then there are the golf courses. Those things are are all well and good if i'm age 2 to 18 or 40+, and most of those items that could be applicable to me are not what I would consider an entertaining evening out as much as they are just recreation.

In my opinion, there is an age gap in the entertainment options in Midwest City for anyone age 20 to 35. We have to drive out of Midwest City and invest our money through sales tax into other cities. Ultimately, most in this age range are moving out of the city to nearby cities with more entertainment options and living there. Money that could be reinvested back into our own city is being used to better the cities around us. Most recently, Midwest City went from being the 7th Largest city in the entire state of Oklahoma, to the 8th largest city, losing out only to Moore.

Moore has over the years increased it's stock of entertainment value for it's residents and the residents of nearby cities. I can only imagine the amount of sales tax dollars effecting the City of Moore's coffers.

I know the City of Moore has no direct control of what is built by private developers or the type of business that invests in their community. But, I wouldn't doubt if there were not some sort of incentives for doing so, or that the build and permit process is much easier, or some reason that we as a large community with no other entertainment options for EOC are not booming with options and investments.

It seems to me that Midwest City wouldn't just serve our residents, but also our neighbor communities and those who travel past Midwest City from the east for more entertainment attractions to the west of us. We could be the travel destination for EOC residents and not Moore, OKC, or Edmond.

Anybody else feel this way, or do I just have a bad attitude about this?

Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Is Del City any better? It goes with the territory of the citizens not wanting to invest in the future. My guess is that MWC has a larger number than most of transient military families. If that is the case why would they want to invest in a town they are not settled in.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Midwest City has no real entertainment activities at all...

A recent discussion with a buddy who moved out of state resulted in the following thought process and fueled our discussion.

There is nothing to do in Midwest City. (Besides bowling at Plant Bowl or skating at the Skating Rink.)

We traded our movie theaters for nursing homes, open lots, empty buildings and a church. We even traded our putt-putt course for a funeral home.

Then, this realization came (I'm in my late 20's), Midwest City is perfect for anyone who is 40 years old or older. Why?

It feels like the City of Midwest City is getting the entire city ready to retire instead of fueling enthusiasm and growing our city for the future.

But wait, are there not new Thunder themed basket ball courts, or a large park with "newish" jungle gyms. Also, you can't forget the parks with walking trails, even the dog park. We also have a pool and spray parks! Then there are the golf courses. Those things are are all well and good if i'm age 2 to 18 or 40+, and most of those items that could be applicable to me are not what I would consider an entertaining evening out as much as they are just recreation.

In my opinion, there is an age gap in the entertainment options in Midwest City for anyone age 20 to 35. We have to drive out of Midwest City and invest our money through sales tax into other cities. Ultimately, most in this age range are moving out of the city to nearby cities with more entertainment options and living there. Money that could be reinvested back into our own city is being used to better the cities around us. Most recently, Midwest City went from being the 7th Largest city in the entire state of Oklahoma, to the 8th largest city, losing out only to Moore.

Moore has over the years increased it's stock of entertainment value for it's residents and the residents of nearby cities. I can only imagine the amount of sales tax dollars effecting the City of Moore's coffers.

I know the City of Moore has no direct control of what is built by private developers or the type of business that invests in their community. But, I wouldn't doubt if there were not some sort of incentives for doing so, or that the build and permit process is much easier, or some reason that we as a large community with no other entertainment options for EOC are not booming with options and investments.

It seems to me that Midwest City wouldn't just serve our residents, but also our neighbor communities and those who travel past Midwest City from the east for more entertainment attractions to the west of us. We could be the travel destination for EOC residents and not Moore, OKC, or Edmond.

Anybody else feel this way, or do I just have a bad attitude about this?
    So.....I guess I will tread lightly on this one....but, what does MWC offer in regards to reasons why a company would want to bring viable entertainment to the area? I will admit, that I've never stepped foot in MWC/Del City...but coming from someone who has lived in the OKC metro for 35+ years, the generalized perception is that MWC isn't exactly a place you want to be. To the point where, if I had to travel Eastbound I-40 and my children needed to go to the bathroom really really bad....I'm not sure i'd exit to let them use a public restroom anywhere along that corridor. (Maybe If I could get on base. Maybe) I'm sure all of the regular posters here, can provide real useable statistics, and or urban development rhetoric, or other politically correct cool data..but at the end of the day...its not a desirable place to be.

4. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    ...its not a desirable place to be.
    That's quite a generalization for someone that's never been there in 35+ years. I can think of a lot less desirable places to be in the metro area.

I'm not sure what happened to entertainment in the area. I grew up in the EOC area and we had plenty to do back then. At that time we had one of the newer, nicer, theatres in the area, Bowling Green was always busy. The Putt-Putt always had a large crowd on the weekends and did pretty good business on weeknights. Heritage Park Mall had a theatre and was usually close to 100% full. As teens we had Jamaica Joes which is now 21+.

Then suddenly it all just kind of went away. Not sure why or what changed.

5. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

I lived in the Mid-Del area (SE 44 and Sunnylane area) for 15 years. Son went to MWCHS and many people we knew lived in MWC or Del City. Inlaws still live in MWC.

Filthy isn't very far off base IMO. The reputation of being an undesirable place to live is well earned. I was never proud to live there, but we had a plan - Live cheap, save up and MOVE (which we did in 2013).

Sure there are a few nice areas and several okay areas - but none of that makes up for the rampant filth that is Mid-Del.

Maybe my perspective is totally skewed. Literally the cul-de-sac we lived on suffered from no less than 5 drive by shootings either on our street or within 1 single block. One drive by was repeated within 24 hours because the idiots shot at the wrong house the first time.

One was so close we had to call police about giving them a shell casing that went through our fence and stopped inside a bird feeder in our backyard.

I go through the jail blotters every day and the number of violent criminals who call that area home is very disturbing. Not to mention, when I'd ride along with local bounty hunters, things never got more dangerous than when we went to an apartment complex in the Mid-Del area or one that bordered it.

The area we lived in was so bad that until the On Cue was built at SE 29/Sooner we wouldn't patronize any of the gas stations in the area after dark and avoided them if we could during the day.

Personally, they could build a Warren Theater in Mid-Del and I wouldn't patronize it. To many gang problems there - again, IMO and from my perspective.

That said, I've never had a negative experience with MWC or Del-City police and have always found them to be very professional and courteous.

So.....I guess I will tread lightly on this one....but, what does MWC offer in regards to reasons why a company would want to bring viable entertainment to the area? I will admit, that I've never stepped foot in MWC/Del City...but coming from someone who has lived in the OKC metro for 35+ years, the generalized perception is that MWC isn't exactly a place you want to be. To the point where, if I had to travel Eastbound I-40 and my children needed to go to the bathroom really really bad....I'm not sure i'd exit to let them use a public restroom anywhere along that corridor. (Maybe If I could get on base. Maybe) I'm sure all of the regular posters here, can provide real useable statistics, and or urban development rhetoric, or other politically correct cool data..but at the end of the day...its not a desirable place to be.
    What is it that scares you? The Chili's, the chic-fil-a, or perhaps the oklahoma county sheriff's office? Well that's understandable. If you're heading east with a full bladder on I-40 through MWC the first "thug" free exit with services is Choctaw Road. Yeah, it's sort of rural but it's usually free of "them" people. I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    That's quite a generalization for someone that's never been there in 35+ years. I can think of a lot less desirable places to be in the metro area.
    Understood. Its hard to have a leg to stand upon, in making such a statement...since I've never been there. But I'm confident in my assessment. I can understand how you could see differently being that you grew up in EOC. Obviously there are light years of differences between NWOKC/Edmond, and East OKC/MWC/DelCity. Those differences are what keeps new businesses or entertainment from building new locations there.

8. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    What is it that scares you? The Chili's,.....
    Well now that you mention it.... Yes, the Chili's does scare me.

9. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Obviously there are light years of differences between NWOKC/Edmond, and East OKC/MWC/DelCity. Those differences are what keeps new businesses or entertainment from building new locations there.
    I agree that it probably has a lot to do with wealth disparity.

Yeah, it's sort of rural but it's usually free of "them" people. I hope that helps.
    By "them" people, I'm sure you meant "those" people.

11. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Personally, they could build a Warren Theater in Mid-Del and I wouldn't patronize it. To many gang problems there - again, IMO and from my perspective.
    I knew about the gangs in the area but I lived in the area over half my life and never had a run in with a gang member and I hung out at some pretty seedy places in my teens and early 20s..... regularly snuck into the Purple Palace, not that it was hard to sneak into, and shot pool at 44th & Bryant several nights a week.

I can agree that it's not a place one would aspire to spend a lifetime in but I'll stand by my comment that I can think of worse areas of the metro than the Mid Del area that I wouldn't want to be in after dark.

I lived in the Mid-Del area (SE 44 and Sunnylane area) for 15 years. Son went to MWCHS and many people we knew lived in MWC or Del City. Inlaws still live in MWC.

Filthy isn't very far off base IMO. The reputation of being an undesirable place to live is well earned. I was never proud to live there, but we had a plan - Live cheap, save up and MOVE (which we did in 2013).

Sure there are a few nice areas and several okay areas - but none of that makes up for the rampant filth that is Mid-Del.

Maybe my perspective is totally skewed. Literally the cul-de-sac we lived on suffered from no less than 5 drive by shootings either on our street or within 1 single block. One drive by was repeated within 24 hours because the idiots shot at the wrong house the first time.

One was so close we had to call police about giving them a shell casing that went through our fence and stopped inside a bird feeder in our backyard.

I go through the jail blotters every day and the number of violent criminals who call that area home is very disturbing. Not to mention, when I'd ride along with local bounty hunters, things never got more dangerous than when we went to an apartment complex in the Mid-Del area or one that bordered it.

The area we lived in was so bad that until the On Cue was built at SE 29/Sooner we wouldn't patronize any of the gas stations in the area after dark and avoided them if we could during the day.

That said, I've never had a negative experience with MWC or Del-City police and have always found them to be very professional and courteous.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but that cul-de-sac was actually in Oklahoma City, no?

13. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Yep. Exactly 2 blocks from the Del City city limits.

Whatever point you were trying to make doesn't change my opinion one bit. I lived in the Mid-Del area for 15 years, kid attended school in MWC, had to be within the city limits on a daily basis. The area and much of what surrounds it is extremely undesirable. Mid-Del is like a cancer and negatively effects those things within close proximity. Again, and as clearly stated..... based on my opinion and perspective.

Yep. Exactly 2 blocks from the Del City city limits.

Whatever point you were trying to make doesn't change my opinion one bit. I lived in the Mid-Del area for 15 years, kid attended school in MWC, had to be within the city limits on a daily basis. The area and much of what surrounds it is extremely undesirable. Mid-Del is like a cancer and negatively effects those things within close proximity. Again, and as clearly stated..... based on my opinion and perspective.
    Actually, the worse of the worse neighborhoods in your old area were all in Oklahoma City city limits. Perhaps it is the Oklahoma City areas that are the cancer. Anyway, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind but merely pointing out all those drive by shootings in your original post happened in Oklahoma City and not in MWC or Del City. It seems like kind of an important point to be made.

15. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Actually, the worse of the worse neighborhoods in your old area were all in Oklahoma City city limits. Perhaps it is the Oklahoma City areas that are the cancer. Anyway, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind but merely pointing out all those drive by shootings in your original post happened in Oklahoma City and not in MWC or Del City. It seems like kind of an important point to be made.
    Three of the shooters were arrested and convicted - all lived in MWC.

But, hey, it was probably the target of the shooters fault ...

Like I clearly pointed out - many of the areas boarding Mid-del are cesspools. But it doesn't stop at the city limits. The scum doesn't care where the line is drawn, it is simply attracted to scummy areas and a lot of Mid-Del fits that bill. Do those same areas exist in OKC, Edmond, etc. Obviously they do.

When I lived out in the eastern part of the county, I had a Harrah police seargent, who also used to be a patrol officer in Midwest City tell me you wouldn't believe the stuff that goes on in MWC. He said after so many years of chasing after gang members, he finally got tired of it and moved out out to Harrah for a little quieter carreer.

Not all of Mid-Del is bad. I think the area could definitely support a movie theater. If the Heritage Park Mall area could be completely bulldozed and redeveloped it would go a long way towards revitalizing the area. However, given the state of the school district I don't see a lot can be done. As has been discussed in the urban vs suburban thread, school district is everything when it comes to suburban growth and once the school district loses its reputation, the area goes downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Not all of Mid-Del is bad. I think the area could definitely support a movie theater. If the Heritage Park Mall area could be completely bulldozed and redeveloped it would go a long way towards revitalizing the area. However, given the state of the school district I don't see a lot can be done. As has been discussed in the urban vs suburban thread, school district is everything when it comes to suburban growth and once the school district loses its reputation, the area goes downhill.
    East MWC compares favorably to the other metro suburbs. I doubt few would hesitate to send their children to Carl Albert schools. Most of MWC's bad rep is derived from the neighborhoods along NE 10th affectionately called "murder 1". I own several rent houses in the original square mile and never had any problems with tenants or the folks in the neighborhood. It seems like an okay place to live. One thing MWC should do is bulldoze that blighted semi vacated mall. That thing is just an eye sore and probably a drag on the neighborhood to the north. I just don't see MWC as the Compton of the Bible Belt.

East MWC compares favorably to the other metro suburbs. I doubt few would hesitate to send their children to Carl Albert schools. .
    You're right on the mark there. I grew up in MWC (from '95 to '05) and my mom made sure I was in the Carl Albert school district. There was no way she was letting me go to MWC or Del City. East of Douglas Blvd. is not bad at all.
    It's sad but the older and crappier the houses get, the worse the people who live in them seem to get. That's the problem with all of Del City and most of MWC.
    Thankfully, they completely redid 29th St. in front of Tinker and it's WAY better than it was. If they built a nice movie theater in that area, it would do very well. I know Planet Bowl is in that area but it's still crappy so nobody wants to go. Airmen go to the one on base anyway, it's nice and cheap.

20. Default Re: No Entertainment Value

Where MMonroe lived is OKC, and a rather rough part of it that continues to frustrate Del City residents because OKC wont police it properly. And that's about as far into a night/day comparison to MWC as you can get...they simply are nothing alike.

I grew up in MWC, both near Goodyear and then later over near Bowling Green, so I've lived in rough and very comfortable parts of MWC. I walked around both neighborhoods as a kid and played and had a great time. All the junk I hear being said here is just that. You won't stop to let your kid go to the bathroom.....are you kidding me? That's the kind of stuck-up Edmonite holier than thou bullcrap I hate. It just shows you know absolutely NOTHING about MWC other than the inaccurate bullhonkey you've been fed. You'd probably be surprised to know about how many neighborhoods have brand new million + dollar homes in them, or how many of those already exist in MWC. But I'm sure you're family is too good to be subjected to us poor people that grew up in EOC....because money is the thing that should be the end-all comparison anyway.

In fact, MWC is one of the strongest economies in the state. It's a top 10 in the list of the largest cities in the state by population. It has one of the best non-major city economic development groups working for it. You don't think 29th happened because of private developers do you? And what about the positive impact 29th had on the rest of the city?

Now, I'm not saying it's the same place it was 20 years ago when I was a kid. But it's never been the hell-hole people try to make it out to be. I personally made the decision to choose a house in the Moore district when I got married. That was a conscious decision based on what I thought things would be like 20 years later when my children were in high school. That 40 year gap leaves a lot of time for changes. Yes, socio-economically, things are trending down....like anywhere that's been around for any length of time. Heck, John Marshall was "the place to be" at one time and it was even in the sticks at one time. That's the trend of development...especially in OKC where it goes out with no interest to re-develop the innards. But come on....if after 35+ years, you've never even been there?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It just shows you know absolutely NOTHING about MWC other than the inaccurate bullhonkey you've been fed.
    I guess, I will take the bait. Since your post seemed to be aimed towards my general vicinity. I don't recall ever being fed any "bullhonkey" about MWC. Actually I don't recall having many conversations at all about MWC/DC with anyone. So, I'm not sure what "bullhonkey" you are referring to. After giving it some thought, I have actually been to the Midwest City area. At least 2-3 times in junior high , and high school, when playing football. So obviously, my sample size was somewhat skewed by not having the opportunity to take a guided tour of the beautiful city of Midwest City. But, I can still recall that the overall feeling from the collective group of our football team, was that of...."Holy Crap...we're getting ready to go play the ghetto kids." So, its not something I'm fabricating in my old age. I'm not a one man, wrecking crew...slandering the Beautiful City of MWC on message boards, for self gratification.

But I'm sure you're family is too good to be subjected to us poor people that grew up in EOC....because money is the thing that should be the end-all comparison anyway.
    You are reaching, quite a bit. You shouldn't let your emotions post for you.

Now, I'm not saying it's the same place it was 20 years ago when I was a kid. But it's never been the hell-hole people try to make it out to be. But come on....if after 35+ years, you've never even been there?
    And that's what makes this slightly more humerous to me. Because it WAS about 20 years ago, that I did have the privilege of visiting MWC...and those thoughts/opinions posted above, were formed at that time. So, I would assume if its not the same place it was, when you were a kid.......that its fair to say.....**** has declined even more so in that time. I mean.....You said so yourself.

Some of you are taking this way too personal. These are the conversations needed when discussing the title of the thread. These are the real reasons, why there will never be a new development, offering cutting edge entertainment, or new up and coming restaurant trends built in the MWC/DC area. It's not a desirable place to be. Period.

It's obvious that we all come from different backgrounds, and areas of the city. So, you have to realize, if someone lives a good portion of their life in a certain area of a city...that's what they become accustomed to. Some of you, that were born/raised in East OKC/MWC/DC area want to say that its not that bad...because you are use to being in that area. Just like people from South OKC, are use to that area as well. You become oblivious to your surroundings, and there is nothing else to compare with to quantify what is good, bad, better, or worse. Look no further than some people in this thread, saying that Carl Albert is the "good" school district to be in. WTF..I mean REALLY? REALLY? So, yes...some areas of the city might seem ok to you...but for others, driving around that same area, it might seem like a 3rd World Country. And that makes some people uncomfortable. Get over it.

I guess, I will take the bait. Since your post seemed to be aimed towards my general vicinity. I don't recall ever being fed any "bullhonkey" about MWC. Actually I don't recall having many conversations at all about MWC/DC with anyone. So, I'm not sure what "bullhonkey" you are referring to. After giving it some thought, I have actually been to the Midwest City area. At least 2-3 times in junior high , and high school, when playing football. So obviously, my sample size was somewhat skewed by not having the opportunity to take a guided tour of the beautiful city of Midwest City. But, I can still recall that the overall feeling from the collective group of our football team, was that of...."Holy Crap...we're getting ready to go play the ghetto kids." So, its not something I'm fabricating in my old age. I'm not a one man, wrecking crew...slandering the Beautiful City of MWC on message boards, for self gratification.

You are reaching, quite a bit. You shouldn't let your emotions post for you.

And that's what makes this slightly more humerous to me. Because it WAS about 20 years ago, that I did have the privilege of visiting MWC...and those thoughts/opinions posted above, were formed at that time. So, I would assume if its not the same place it was, when you were a kid.......that its fair to say.....**** has declined even more so in that time. I mean.....You said so yourself.

Some of you are taking this way too personal. These are the conversations needed when discussing the title of the thread. These are the real reasons, why there will never be a new development, offering cutting edge entertainment, or new up and coming restaurant trends built in the MWC/DC area. It's not a desirable place to be. Period.

It's obvious that we all come from different backgrounds, and areas of the city. So, you have to realize, if someone lives a good portion of their life in a certain area of a city...that's what they become accustomed to. Some of you, that were born/raised in East OKC/MWC/DC area want to say that its not that bad...because you are use to being in that area. Just like people from South OKC, are use to that area as well. You become oblivious to your surroundings, and there is nothing else to compare with to quantify what is good, bad, better, or worse. Look no further than some people in this thread, saying that Carl Albert is the "good" school district to be in. WTF..I mean REALLY? REALLY? So, yes...some areas of the city might seem ok to you...but for others, driving around that same area, it might seem like a 3rd World Country. And that makes some people uncomfortable. Get over it.
    So the has been new development in the Mid/Del area? Ted's. The Garage, McAlisters, Panera, Dicks Sporting Goods, Old Navy and many more have opened or are opening in the last 5 years.

A 3rd world country? Seriously Mr drama queen.

Get out a little more, because you don't come across as the sharpest knife in drawer

For me and everyone I know: MWC is not a place you want live, work, or play in.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    For me and everyone I know: MWC is not a place you want live, work, or play in.
    Yet on the other hand it's a great place to buy a car since it's home to absolutely the best auto dealership (Hudiburg Auto Group) in the state. That's just fact.

I will say I believe MWC has a lot of potential. I look it like Guthrie, it just needs new leadership.

Thread Information