Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campbell Corner

Default Campbell Corner

A really cool new urban shopping center will be built on the southeast corner of Campbell and Broadway!

EDMOND — Council members voted this week on a site plan for a 15,584-square-foot downtown shopping center on the southeast corner of Broadway and Campbell, despite problems with available parking in the downtown area referred to as the Central Business District.

This was the second time developer Saeed Zahrai tried to get a site plan for his two-story building approved by the council. The vote this time was 3-2. Mayor Charles Lamb and Councilwoman Elizabeth Waner voted against the project.

Council members recently approved a downtown master plan report that recommended city leaders address the lack of parking. City code requires one parking space per 400 feet of development.

“If we don’t change and do something differently, we are not going to grow,” Councilman Nick Massey said.

Lamb was apprehensive about approving the site plan without first having conversations about the parking issues.

“I don’t like going down the path and figuring out that it doesn’t work,” Lamb said. “It is a little premature to go case by case. It’s a challenge. I am not ready to do this right now.”

The first time the council turned down the project, called Plaza USA, it was about 21 parking spaces short.

- New downtown Edmond shopping center approved. | News OK
    Here is another image I found although the design might be different now.

- 118 N Broadway, Edmond, OK, 73034 - Street Retail Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

2. Default Re: Plaza USA

Were there any plans included for Sleeping Beauty Castle at the far end of the parking lot?

Default Re: Plaza USA

retiny

Better rendering

A new two-story territorial style shopping center is coming to downtown Edmond on the southeast corner of Campbell and Broadway. The cost of the project is estimated from $4.6 million to $5.4 million.

The Edmond City Council voted 3-2 Monday night in favor of a commercial site plan to allow the 35-foot-tall Plaza USA to be constructed on a 12,000-square-foot parking lot owned by developer Saeed Zahrai.
    Mayor Charles Lamb and City Councilwoman Elizabeth Waner voted against the item.

- Downtown looks to grow - The Edmond Sun: News
    Here's a piece I particularly like

“The problem I see here is we keep trying to apply a suburban standard to an urban area,” Councilman Nick Massey said. The city’s parking policy may have worked for 32 years but does not work today, Massey said.

5. Default Re: Plaza USA

I really appreciate the architectural style of this new development. I think it will "hold up" for years to come.

Developer plans territorial feel for new downtown shopping center - The Edmond Sun: Business

Seventeen businesses are projected to be in the building unless the financial firm agrees to use the second floor, leaving eight tenants, he said. Six retailers will be on the first floor. There will be two large offices on the top floor and smaller executive offices.

Interested parties have included counselors, attorneys, wellness centers, accounting services and insurance agents.
    Plaza USA will be turning in paperwork this week to the city for a permit to begin construction in November. Zahrai said he hoped construction would begin in October. Engineering is nearly complete, he said.
    Plans call for the shopping center’s doors to open in the summer of 2015. But it is just the beginning, he said. More development will follow because of the shopping center.

“We’re going to be developing an additional four sites along Campbell Street,” he said.

Gelato shop is coming to downtown Edmond. This is awesome!

This is officially called the Campbell Corner now. I'll message Pete later and ask him to rename the title of the thread.

Here are some new renderings

Here a link to their new website: Home - Campbell Corner at Downtown Edmond Plaza

That is going to be a nice addition to downtown Edmond.

13. Default Re: Plaza USA

Very nice. It's a bit too traditional for me, but from an urban design standpoint, this is the kind of development Edmond needs more of.

Edmond will in no way shape or form have anything as awesome as Campus Corner for a very long time.

16. Default Re: Plaza USA

Why do you think that is, PluPan?

Multiple reasons. Main part, there is not existing infrastructure that is conducive to a great walkable environment Campus Corner. Roads are too fast and wide. Too many lanes.

Just for sh!ts and gigs, if an 8 block development were proposed anywhere in Edmond that was like Campus Corner with high-density and all of the roads were one lane with parallel parking like the French Quarter in New Orleans tomorrow, it would be fought like a war. The people and leaders in this city are too backwards and conservative. Norman is a forward thinking and progressive city. Edmond is not; see 18 on Park.

Jeeze.

Norman is spending their time running out cool grocery in exchange for wal-mart. Edmond is getting cool new urban developments, like Plaza USA, the new beer house, skinny slims, bikes lanes and more. But Edmond doesn't support one development, which has as much in common with campus corner as a frog does with an eagle, and its temper tantrum time.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Jeeze.
    What?

What's the last cool urban development you saw in Norman? Target? Walmart? Urban roots leaving because of all the chains? Campus corner is two way, and out side commercial chaines moving in as well.

Norman is spending their time running out cool grocery in exchange for wal-mart. Edmond is getting cool new urban developments, like Plaza USA, the new beer house, skinny slims, bikes lanes and more. But Edmond doesn't support one development, which has as much in common with campus corner as a frog does with an eagle, and its temper tantrum time.
    First off let me start by saying the 18 on Park is not comparable to Campus Corner except the fact that is an urban development. 18 on Park is a residential development that was going to have 18 units. No one, including me, is trying to compare 18 on Park to Campus Corner. Again, I was merely saying that because a concept like a residential urban development that would have probably been completely bought out before it was even built failed because of such backlash from people within the city and lack of support from city leaders, something like Campus Corner would surely come under greater fire. If you don't think it would, then I guess we'll just disagree until something like it is proposed or attempted because I have no way to prove otherwise.

Also, that grocery store in Norman that closed because of the Walmart sucked; If you're thinking of the one I'm thinking of at least. Edmond is getting several cool developments. Patriarch, Campbell Corner(Plaza USA, I originally though it was going to be called Plaza USA, but I found out it is going to be called Campbell Corner), New UCO dorms, Edmond Public Safety Center, Future Medical Examiners Office, Black Walnut Cafe, upcoming I-35/15th Medical corridor, etc... There are tons of new development that is happening. That's cool. What isn't cool is tons of cookie cutter crap approved and one small urban development was in the perfect location and was pushed away. That leads me to believe something like Campus Corner would never work.

Also, from what I understand, UCO and OU are two very different colleges. OU's students are way more involved in the school, live on campus, and are more liberal and progressive. UCO has a lot of international students that leave the city once they graduate and a fair amount are commuters. I know several international students myself who plan to leave once graduated. As far as them commuting, every one I know lives around the campus, but that doesn't mean a lot of others I don't know don't commute.

Norman has tons of cool developments in the works. I know of lot of people involved with Norman on here don't like what UNP turned out to be, but I love it. I think it is an awesome suburban development and they are getting a true office park unlike what we have here. Campus Corner is an awesome, incredible urban area that I never realized existed in Oklahoma. They also have a 4 or 5 story building being built their as well. Tons of new OU projects that blow any apartment complex in Edmond completely out of the water.

Edmond's new downtown strategic plan is awesome to envision. A new structured parking garage, a ped. bridge over the BNSF tracks that connect to a multimodul transit HUB surrounded by an urban walkable area composed of 3-9 story mixed use buildings, performing arts center downtown, complete reconstruction of Broadway from 15th to 2nd with a new grand entrance into downtown Edmond, Broadway in Edmond reduced to one lane each way and parking made parallel with widened sidewalks, new roundabouts, and BLVD. completely reconstructed with bike lanes. . . all things discussed by city leaders of what they have envisioned. That sounds awesome, but color me skeptical when they are going to approve a surface parking by some local bank. That's awesome. More surface parking for downtown Edmond. Local business cheaps out.

If you think Edmond would embrace a Campus Corner style development, please explain why. I honestly think it's another 5-10 years before something like that might work here.

It may take time. But honestly, besides 18 on park what other developments have the citizens of Edmond rejected that you liked?

It may take time. But honestly, besides 18 on park what other developments have the citizens of Edmond rejected that you liked?
    This is going to sound bad, but I honestly can't recall the names at this time. I know there were at least two that either withdrew or were denied in 2014. They may come back to me.

There is one development that I remember(happened recently) that was denied and I'm very glad it was is that speculated Walmart at Covell and Coltrane. I am glad Edmond held firm on not allowing the developer to allow to curb cut right at the intersection.

I wish OKC would follow Edmond's footsteps in sticking to their guidelines when it comes to design standards for bad projects like the Chase Bank that is going to be built in downtown OKC. I know I am being hypocritical because I would have liked the city to have rezoned for 18 on Park, but I still think the city does good when they keep up design regulations.

This has officially broken ground! I am very excited for this project!!

Thread Information