Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma in the ranks

Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Ranking the "best" and "worst" states to live in is a pseudo-scientific endeavor unless you operationalize what those terms mean and then have extremely well thought out methods for the study (even then the claims are pretty silly). My point is, just tinkering with any specific criteria and the point value can move states up and down the list. As you can tell, it bugs me that our culture sends around these rankings without a second thought. While it provided no details no how they calculated their numbers, here's what this article said to this regard:

Apparently, consumers of this article have to find the actual CNBC study themselves since this clickbait site didn't even provide a link to the study that the entire article is based on. /rant over
    I'm not going to argue this because one could find paradise in Oklahoma and it's very subjective. I do want to note and though it's easily explainable by the bias here, most negative rankings for the state here are met with reasons as to why they're invalid yet if there is a positive ranking then most either agree or don't say anything. Just something I've noticed here.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Oklahoma consistently ranks qt the bottom of mqny measures of prosperity and Quality of life, no matter how people try to spin the fact; simply not a well regarded state
    Just to be clear, I never made the argument Oklahoma should or shouldn't be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Oh, and removing inspections bugged me. There are now cars with bald tires, bad exhaust, and non functioning lights all over the road. Why in the world did we remove the inspection requirements?
    Probably because full service stations and car repair shops weren't making money from it. At least new ars are made safer.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Probably because full service stations and car repair shops weren't making money from it. At least new ars are made safer.
    Saved $12 million.

http://www.oksenate.gov/news/press_r.../pr050101.html

I would love an inspection after like 3 years of having a new vehicle then everyone two years or one year after that. I would imagine this would help with car insurance rates as well too. Not to mention the insane amount of vehicles that are on the road unsafe.

I never understood why people considered getting an inspection a hassle. There were at least 5 places in Edmond and lots more in OKC that did them, and it took minutes once a year. If anything, it was nice to get a professional to check out my brakes and tires when I was a young driver.

The only thing I liked about the elimination of inspections was that I was able to put street legal slicks and straight pipes on my racecar.

I never understood why people considered getting an inspection a hassle. There were at least 5 places in Edmond and lots more in OKC that did them, and it took minutes once a year. If anything, it was nice to get a professional to check out my brakes and tires when I was a young driver.

The only thing I liked about the elimination of inspections was that I was able to put street legal slicks and straight pipes on my racecar.
    Inspections were eliminated shortly before I started driving, but I seem to remember some people being concerned about the same people doing inspections also selling automotive services and thus creating a conflict of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Inspections were eliminated shortly before I started driving, but I seem to remember some people being concerned about the same people doing inspections also selling automotive services and thus creating a conflict of interest?
    Maybe, although the inspections were pretty basic IIRC. Disc brake condition, tire tread, horn and light functionality, and making sure the exhaust was still there and wasn't leaking, so it would be hard to manufacture repair needs.

Maybe, although the inspections were pretty basic IIRC. Disc brake condition, tire tread, horn and light functionality, and making sure the exhaust was still there and wasn't leaking, so it would be hard to manufacture repair needs.
    After spending time on the east coast where pretty much every state requires a vehicle inspection, I personally see no issues with it. It for sure mitigates cars on the side of the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedOUfan View Post
    After spending time on the east coast where pretty much every state requires a vehicle inspection, I personally see no issues with it. It for sure mitigates cars on the side of the interstate.
    I didn't notice an increase in vehicles on the side of the road since inspections were scrapped.

There is some pretty good evidence that inspections (a) don't increase public safety and (b) don't contribute to vehicular reliability. The only guarantee with these programs is additional revenue for the state and conflicts of interest for whichever shops get to perform the inspections.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

I just checked the numbers for car insurance average per state ($1325 annually). Total states that do inspections are 13. Five of those states are at average or above. Eight of those states are below average.

Kind of a wash.

I have no idea if it affects insurance, or even general safety, but the idea that people are checked once a year (on top of when they renew their tag) that they have valid insurance, decent tires, and functioning brake systems sure made me feel better on the road. And more so now that I have two children driving.

I have no idea if it affects insurance, or even general safety, but the idea that people are checked once a year (on top of when they renew their tag) that they have valid insurance, decent tires, and functioning brake systems sure made me feel better on the road. And more so now that I have two children driving.
    I never held much confidence in inspections making anything more safe. We all knew there were those shops that would pass pretty much any vehicle. You knew where to find them. And so did the people that had less than stellar vehicles.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

I can see that. I just want our car insurance to go down by getting some people to buy some insurance. It is ridiculous that 1 in 4 doesn't have insurance. That also worries me as I feel people who don't have insurance are going to hit and run my family.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I can see that. I just want our car insurance to go down by getting some people to buy some insurance. It is ridiculous that 1 in 4 doesn't have insurance. That also worries me as I feel people who don't have insurance are going to hit and run my family.
    I've been in two wrecks in my life, neither my fault. Both times the other driver had no insurance (and in one case, no ID and was here illegally - they went to jail). It's why I carry full insurance on all my vehicles. It's nuts.

I'm all for the automatic scanning of license plates to check against the insurance database, or even going further and do like some states do and revoke your plates if your insurance expires. Driving isn't a right and if you can't afford insurance (or decent tires or brakes) then walk or ride the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A bunch of republican states. Big shocker.

There's a forum at the bottom of the list of forums on the main page. ^^ stuff belongs in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    A bunch of republican states. Big shocker.
    Life is how you make it. People who aren't making it in Oklahoma should move to a better state. For a hint as to which one: Colorado min. wage: $9.30 hr., Oklahoma min. wage $7.25 an hour.

Sad. Thank you Republicans

Our rank position on the BS list was driven by health levels, smoking, and number of attractions. I doubt it would have been any different 15 years ago. But yeah, make it about politics and kill another thread. Geeze.

Politics and by extension politicians exist to provide for and improve the lives of it's citizens through legislation and proactive economic programs. The Republican controlled Oklahoma Statehouse, congressional delegation, Mayor of both major cities are Republicans and have failed miserably to improve the lives of the citizens. This State has for years if not decades landed in the bottom quartile in most measures of economic, educational or quality of life measures.
    I say all this not because I dislike my home State but because it's residents continue to elect the same people/party for reasons unknown to me.

I didn't realize state legislature makes people smokes. But ok. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Politics and by extension politicians exist to provide for and improve the lives of it's citizens through legislation and proactive economic programs. The Republican controlled Oklahoma Statehouse, congressional delegation, Mayor of both major cities are Republicans and have failed miserably to improve the lives of the citizens. This State has for years if not decades landed in the bottom quartile in most measures of economic, educational or quality of life measures.
    I say all this not because I dislike my home State but because it's residents continue to elect the same people/party for reasons unknown to me.
    Incumbents sometimes don't get opposition from opposing party. Those they do may not get opponents with impressive backgrounds. As for Democrat candidates that do have impressive backgrounds, a lot of Oklahoma voters won't vote for Democrats, because Democrats are associated with supporting more welfare or entitlements, such as ObamaCare's additional Medicaid. It also an issue that Democrats don't support Christian Right causes, such as banning abortion and gay rights.

By the way Republicans legislators with impressive backgrounds vote makes me wonder if they have needed government much. They vote for public education like they send their children and grand children to private schools and universities.

Like I said before, people who are having problems, such as those on a long waiting list for help from the state, should leave Oklahoma. But the situation is going too far when teachers leave the state for better pay. From the opposite side it's part of the culture. Some people lack the ambition to improve their lives and aren't going to take advantage of what the government offers, such as job skill classes at Career Tech. Such people help bring down Oklahoma's quality of life rankings. In other words, you can bring a horse to water, but you can not make him drink.

Oklahoma IS a welfare State. Take away government jobs at the Federal and State level and the majority of high paying jobs outside of oil and gas which is an has been struggling and the Oklahoma economy would be near third world. No significant manufacturing, R&D or knowledge based industries. We get 100 jobs for a water company and hurray. What is the point of having all these great CofC best city for... Accolades when they don't translate to more and better jobs, which drive demand which drives growth etc. Simple truth Oklahoma is a follower State not an innovative one, about 5-10 years behind almost any other. Republican politics in the State has not proven to generate the economic stimulus it proports to stimulate.

Our economy was totally different twenty years ago. Wait, it was. Way worse. I prefer now to the 80s.

Thread Information