Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma in the ranks

SouthsideSooner Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Kelroy,
    I can tell by your picture that you could stand to lose a pound or two!
    C. T.
    Haha... classic... great line C.T.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Ouch. Think is also has to do with our high number of uninsured drivers on the road?

4. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

^I wonder what each set has in common..................

Using complete data from 2013, Oklahoma averaged 17.6 deaths per 100,000 residents in 2013. A total of 678 people died in traffic accidents. Only 84-percent of passengers and drivers said they always used seatbelts. Even more disturbing, out of all traffic-related deaths in 2013, 91-percent of those people had alcohol in their blood.
    But hey, let's focus all our efforts on "modernizing" our liquor laws.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    What are you saying?

7. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Doesn't Missouri have really lax liquor laws? They were only 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yes Missouri does have lax liquor laws. Oklahoma has very strict liquor laws and yet we still have a DUI problem. So that should show that the laws have nothing to do with it if someone is going to try and claim laxing the laws will put more drunk drivers on the road.

I was making a joke as much as anything. However, I wish people were as concerned with getting insurance rates up and road safety improved as they were about buying cold beer. BTW - I support the RLOA's proposals. I just think people are more worried about liquor and weed in Oklahoma than about road safety. Which is probably why we rank so high.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

I was making a joke as much as anything. However, I wish people were as concerned with getting insurance rates up and road safety improved as they were about buying cold beer. BTW - I support the RLOA's proposals. I just think people are more worried about liquor and weed in Oklahoma than about road safety. Which is probably why we rank so high.
    The insurance thing just blows my mind. How is this not a bigger issue here?!

Would inspections help? How do other states combat this? I would assume people would just get insurance for the inspection then turn it off afterwards.

Would inspections help? How do other states combat this? I would assume people would just get insurance for the inspection then turn it off afterwards.
    No idea. I do know they were talking about a program where cameras in police cars would scan license plates and automatically check for insurance. But I don't know if that was enacted.

But yeah, even on my POS $2000 truck, I keep full coverage. Cause if you get in a wreck in Oklahoma, chances are they won't have insurance.

Oh, and removing inspections bugged me. There are now cars with bald tires, bad exhaust, and non functioning lights all over the road. Why in the world did we remove the inspection requirements?

Jerry, I don't know if you meant to say reduce the rate of uninsured or increase the rates on the insured, but currently Oklahoma is 15/51 for having the highest auto insurance rates.
    Car insurance rates by state: Most and least expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Jerry, I don't know if you meant to say reduce the rate of uninsured or increase the rates on the insured, but currently Oklahoma is 15/51 for having the highest auto insurance rates.
    Car insurance rates by state: Most and least expensive
    I want to increase the rate of insured drivers. Too many uninsured on the roads. And I'm sure that causes the rates for those of us who DO pay for insurance to increase.

Plus, the lack of inspections probably doesn't help.

New jersey has an excellent program in combatting the problem of the uninsured. In NJ the plates stay with the individual and not the car. In order to get plates, you have to show proof of insurance. Now if an individual decides to get cute and cancel the insurance, the carrier notifies the state. The state then demands the individual surrender the plates. Non compliance with the surrender demand has remedies that the state can enforce.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    New jersey has an excellent program in combatting the problem of the uninsured. In NJ the plates stay with the individual and not the car. In order to get plates, you have to show proof of insurance. Now if an individual decides to get cute and cancel the insurance, the carrier notifies the state. The state then demands the individual surrender the plates. Non compliance with the surrender demand has remedies that the state can enforce.
    I could live with this.

Plus, the lack of inspections probably doesn't help.
    Seems only a minority of states currently have annual inspections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States
    In the United States, vehicle safety inspection and emissions inspection are governed by each state individually. 17 states have a periodic (annual or biennial) safety inspection program, while Maryland and Alabama require a safety inspection on sale or transfer of vehicles which were previously registered in another state

They must have made that list while you were still in Oklahoma instead of in Cali.

Another study ranks Oklahoma as one of the worst states for aggressive drivers.

http://kfor.com/2017/07/22/new-study...s-on-the-road/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ranking the "best" and "worst" states to live in is a pseudo-scientific endeavor unless you operationalize what those terms mean and then have extremely well thought out methods for the study (even then the claims are pretty silly). My point is, just tinkering with any specific criteria and the point value can move states up and down the list. As you can tell, it bugs me that our culture sends around these rankings without a second thought. While it provided no details no how they calculated their numbers, here's what this article said to this regard:

Every year since 2006, CNBC has conducted a study ranking American states from best to worst for business by measuring various categories, including one that compares the 50 states on their overall livability based on factors like crime rate, attractions, air quality, health care and legal protections against discrimination.
    Apparently, consumers of this article have to find the actual CNBC study themselves since this clickbait site didn't even provide a link to the study that the entire article is based on. /rant over

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Ranking the "best" and "worst" states to live in is a pseudo-scientific endeavor unless you operationalize what those terms mean and then have extremely well thought out methods for the study (even then the claims are pretty silly). My point is, just tinkering with any specific criteria and the point value can move states up and down the list. As you can tell, it bugs me that our culture sends around these rankings without a second thought. While it provided no details no how they calculated their numbers, here's what this article said to this regard:

Apparently, consumers of this article have to find the actual CNBC study themselves since this clickbait site didn't even provide a link to the study that the entire article is based on. /rant over
    Pretty bizarre that West Virginia isn't on that list. In almost every measurable way, it's much, much worse than Oklahoma. And it's really not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post

Oklahoma consistently ranks qt the bottom of mqny measures of prosperity and Quality of life, no matter how people try to spin the fact; simply not a well regarded state

Thread Information