Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma in the ranks

Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

I found this article amusing https://www.yahoo.com/travel/what-ev...ail&soc_trk=ma

I did a few months of TDY from Ellsworth up to Minot. It was during the winter so maybe that's why I didn't notice that particular best. Gets mighty cold up there.

If only we were North Dakota. :P

Best At Electing Presidents
    I wonder if that means they are the most likely to have selected the winner or more subjectively they choose the better candidate irrespective of if they win the national election.

Maybe it's just more voter turn out.

List of best cities for millennials led by OKC, Omaha and Austin.

The 15 Best U.S. Cities for Millennial College Students

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNebraska View Post
    List of best cities for millennials led by OKC, Omaha and Austin.

The 15 Best U.S. Cities for Millennial College Students
    That's becoming a pretty tight group of usual suspects...

I guess I missed out on this. Been married for 37 years. Neither one of us are from OK. both military brats. Maybe that skews the equation up.

We're pretty far on the edges too - been married to each other for 20+ years, first marriage for both of us, and no kids.

I am sure the rush to marriage culture in Oklahoma contributes. Arkansas does the same thing and it the highest. So many people I know who got married at 18 or 19 are now on their second and sometimes third marriages by their late twenties.

I believe this deserves it's own thread given the broad scope and issues it encompasses.

Can anyone say they are surprised by Oklahoma leading in another undesirable statistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Can anyone say they are surprised by Oklahoma leading in another undesirable statistic?
    Life is how Oklahomans choose to make it. Make a stupid decision and end up helping to make Oklahoma look poor in the statistics.

The problem I have with this, is this really has zero basis in real statistics. There is terrible (as in non-existant) record keeping and reporting of police shootings in the US. Being smaller in population and news, it's more likely a shooting will get media coverage in Oklahoma than California, which is what the guardian based their rankings on.

I'm 100% behind the idea of dealing with police shootings, if they're a problem, but the first step would be some sort of accurate record keeping and reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm 100% behind the idea of dealing with police shootings, if they're a problem, but the first step would be some sort of accurate record keeping and reporting.
    Absolutely! As well as other gun-related deaths, which I believe isn't kept track of accurately either (not sure what the percentage of accuracy or "unreportedness" is for each, though)!

As TLO said, it's really a shame a foreign newspaper has to compile these stats and do this kind of story...

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City continues to make strides to become a solid big league city:

Oklahoma City is growing, but how can we gain momentum in popularity for tourists? | KFOR.com

^^ That's awesome to see something in Oklahoma top 10 for tourism, truly.
    As I've said numerous times on here, as someone who has "vacationed" in OKC a few times, Bricktown is the catalyst for the majority of tourists around the area. You have to keep Bricktown's momentum and redevelopment going and ensure it keeps it's entertainment value while at the same time fulfilling it's desire to become a real neighborhood.

Unique bars (not chain bars, or necessarily clubs), greater variety of dining options (and BT doesn't need to go crazy here, just a few more restaurant options spread throughout), and continuing developments such as Brickopolis that can provide a greater resume of fun activities. This is why the Starflyer actually grew on me after I was a little cold on the reception front.

Of course, Chisolm Creek is also up and coming, but unless you're staying around that area (which, most people don't), it's a drive from downtown to get there, and will be. At that point public transit or even knowing someone around the area really becomes beneficial.
    Now, obviously this is all easier said than done, I'm not a wealthy developer who can assume the risk. But, as long as people continue to go to BT, and as long as OKC's population continues to grow, the amenities will keep coming. Thus, certain things become more popular and visitors will warm up to the idea of staying longer or more often because they know there are multiple activities and options.

Although we have our problems, this is a nice list to NOT score high on. Pun intended. https://www.yahoo.com/autos/top-10-s...513741117.html

We're #1 We're #1!!

Oklahoma Has Image Issues | Okie Funk: Notes From The Outback

Not a good list of stuff, quoted directly from the article:

Here’s just a partial list of what has been in the national news about Oklahoma recently:
    (1) We lead the nation in executions on a per capita basis.
    (2) Oklahoma leads the nation in the number of fatal police shootings on a per capita basis.
    (3) We imprison the most women on a per capita basis.
    (4) We lead the contiguous United States in the number of 3.0-magnitude or higher earthquakes we endure because of a portion of the fracking process.
    (5) We have cut education funding the most of any state since the 2008 economic downturn.
    (6) Attorney General Scott Pruitt continues his relentless and laughable legal wars against the Environmental Protection Agency and the Affordable Care Act.
    (7) U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe recently held a snowball in his hand on the Senate floor and claimed once and for all it proves global warming is a left-wing conspiracy. He was widely mocked throughout the world.
    (8) The governor’s daughter was living in a recreation vehicle at the state “mansion.” The story became known as “trailergate.” It got widespread, national coverage.
    (9) The Ten Commandments monument at the state Capitol has created controversy and silliness widely reported throughout the world.
    (10) U.S. Sen. James Lankford isn’t doing much as a political leader these days but attacking Planned Parenthood based on secretly recorded and obviously biased and fraudulent videos. He’s widely known as a fanatic ideologue in Washington but adored by The Oklahoman editorial board as some wise sage.
    (11) Oklahoma faces a massive teacher shortage because of low pay and poor working conditions. The state’s anti-education mentality has never been on such wide display than now, or at least I can’t remember such a time.
    (12) The Oklahoma Health Care Authority just cut the payment rate for developmental disabilities service providers. Read that sentence again.

If the far right Christian politics don't force people a number of people to leave Oklahoma, then the earthquakes eventually will, if they continue to step up in frequency and intensity as the months go by. But for now we're expected to accept them as a product of Mother Nature, what comes with Okie living, like we do severe thunderstorms, blizzards and risk of more F-5 tornadoes happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    ^^ That's awesome to see something in Oklahoma top 10 for tourism, truly.
    As I've said numerous times on here, as someone who has "vacationed" in OKC a few times, Bricktown is the catalyst for the majority of tourists around the area. You have to keep Bricktown's momentum and redevelopment going and ensure it keeps it's entertainment value while at the same time fulfilling it's desire to become a real neighborhood.
    With all the crazy news events and insane politics that go on in it, Oklahoma needs to be a promoted as a state you got to visit to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Kelroy,
    I can tell by your picture that you could stand to lose a pound or two!
    C. T.

Thread Information