Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma in the ranks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    So, you are suggesting there is a law against that?
    The problem is that most aren't prepared to dress the deer at the time they hit it. My uncle was a truck driver and hunter and used to dress deer he hit. But he always had ice chests and ice, knives, etc., and had the know how to do it properly. If you are just driving down the road with your family you probably don't have the right things at your disposal. And time is your enemy. Don't think you want to eat the meat from a deer that has been on the road awhile in the heat.

RM,
    Yes sir, there is as a matter of fact. I was going to go get my neighbor (I was less than a mile from my house), an avid deer hunter and have hime come and get it. But while I was out of the car looking at the deer, a local wildlife officer (I've forgotten the actual state group he worked for) stopped and asked if I needed help an I told him what I was going to do and he informed me that there was some huge fine for doing it. It's like shooting a deer without a hunting tag, I think it's $500. He proceeded to slice the deer's throat and load it in his truck. He called me the next day and asked me if I needed anything from him for my insurance company and also told me where the deer went. It was butchered and taken to a couple of nursing homes in the Edmond area.
    C. T.
    So, you are suggesting there is a law against that?

Well then . . . I sit corrected. How large of an ice chest does it take to hold a properly dressed deer? And, as far as knives go, is Wusthof a good choice? =)

Sorry . . . I just got finished listening to a "Game Ranger" talk for about ten minutes regarding the need for mountain lion walkways over California freeways to help the gene pool. On PBS. It really sounded like an audio skit from The Onion. =)

RM,
    I'm no expert, but I have Wusthof (actually, Wusthof-Trident when I purchased them) and I have been very happy with them. I started buying one knife at a time at a little place in Casady Square. I picked up one a month until I had all I needed. One exception to the "one knife at a time", I bought two sets of steak knives (one set a month of course). I have two three inch paring, one four inch paring, two chefs knives, one ten inch and one eight inch, a tomato and a three inch serrated knife. I think that's it and it works well for me.
    C. T.
    And, as far as knives go, is Wusthof a good choice? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Quote from story: “Unless we’re comfortable knowing that we’re leaving people’s lives on the lines, we need to pick up the pace, and we need to use policy to be able to drive those changes,” Cline said.

Yes, I think Oklahomans are comfortable about leaving people's lives on the lines. The culture of individual responsibility in Oklahoma dictates that people proudly stand up and take care of their own health and medical care, or else get left behind. None of this thinking that you got to run to the government for help when you're sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Quote from story: “Unless we’re comfortable knowing that we’re leaving people’s lives on the lines, we need to pick up the pace, and we need to use policy to be able to drive those changes,” Cline said.

Yes, I think Oklahomans are comfortable about leaving people's lives on the lines. The culture of individual responsibility in Oklahoma dictates that people proudly stand up and take care of their own health and medical care, or else get left behind. None of this thinking that you got to run to the government for help when you're sick.
    I don't see it as a political divide so much as the mentality of Oklahomans. Smokers gonna smoke. Fat people gonna eat. These people know it's bad for them. It's no secret. They've been hit over the head with how bad it is for them for the last few decades. But they're gonna do it anyway.

I think what Cline means when he talks about policy (and I could be completely misreading him here) is making it possible for municipalities to enact harsher tobacco laws than the state and federal government mandate. Regquiring building codes that make Oklahoma more walkable. Many Oklahomans aren't gonna walk for the health of it. But if you give them a place to walk and a reason, and make it more appealing or cost effective than driving, people will walk. I think many people would love to walk to get a carton of eggs or somesuch instead of having to get in the car and fight traffic.

I am kind of curious what traditional American is?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I am kind of curious what traditional American is?
    I'm guessing steak and potatoes and green beans, etc. Likewise, what's "New American" and "Comfort Food"? I find it sad, but not surprising, that our 4th and 5th entries are buffets and fast food.

Along similar lines as the above post, we have: States With the Best (and Worst) Schools

As for the "worst" list, I thank Mississippi for continuing to lead the charge to the top of every bad list and the bottom of every good list. Oklahoma came in at #4.

We have improved our rate but we are still 3rd highest in the country in our teen birth rates. Im glad there has been a push for more evidence based prevention programs rather than abstinence based, but there is probably still many schools that arent using any evidence based education programs. Also, not fighting every opportunity to expand contraceptive access would help as well.

Oklahoma teen pregnancy rate decreases but remains third-highest in the nation - Tulsa World: Health

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    We have improved our rate but we are still 3rd highest in the country in our teen birth rates. Im glad there has been a push for more evidence based prevention programs rather than abstinence based, but there is probably still many schools that arent using any evidence based education programs. Also, not fighting every opportunity to expand contraceptive access would help as well.

Oklahoma teen pregnancy rate decreases but remains third-highest in the nation - Tulsa World: Health
    There simply the fear easier access to birth control will encourage unmarried people to indulge in sexual intercourse, an act the Bible says is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And Utah ranked best state for business. Oklahoma Baptists and others of conservative religions need to take lessons from the Mormons of Utah how a conservative state becomes attractive for business. If Oklahoma must be such a highly conservative state, it might as well try harder and smarter to be a really good, conservative state.

From article: Utah also had among the most well-functioning transportation infrastructures, ranking among the highest in this category. Zero miles of state roads were in disrepair in 2013. The percent of deficient bridges in the state was also the fifth lowest nationwide. Workers had an average commute time of 21.2 minutes, one of the lowest in the country.

This won't be mentioned on the Chamber of Commerces' Online Magazine

TBH - There are other sources I'd take more faith in that routinely rank us higher. Forbes for one (#10)...

Best States for Business - Forbes

CNBC Puts us in the middle of the pack (nothing to brag about, but still)...

America's Top States For Business

Chief Executive has us ranked at #20, and IMO this is one of the more important rankings as it reflects the views of CEO's on which states are best for business...

2014 Best & Worst States For Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive magazine

But all this being said, that's the problem with rankings. Since they all use their own criteria, you can find a ranking list to support pretty much any conclusion/outlook you want.

Thread Information