Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Oklahoma in the ranks

Default Re: Oklahoma in the ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Bingo. Oklahoma scores high for manufacturing because of low wages, low real estate costs, tendency of state laws and legal environment siding with companies and not workers, lack of environmental protections from corporations, lack of unionization, and liability limitations resulting in protection of companies over consumers. Great for manufacturers but not for workers, consumers, or the citizens of OK. Maybe we can compete with Mexico.
    Unfortunately, for Oklahoma scoring high for manufacturing, I don't sense many high-profile new manufacturing plants have been built not even long since Right to Work was passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Unfortunately, for Oklahoma scoring high for manufacturing, I don't sense many high-profile new manufacturing plants have been built not even long since Right to Work was passed.
    Right. This is one of those where an exploitative employer entity will read something completely different than Joe schmoe will. Both sounds good in the headline but in the end it’s a low wages cycle perpetuation.. one of my students was telling me she’s paying $950 a month rent for her and her 4 year old for an apt. Her full time time job paid $16. But child care and rent are just absolutely out of reach.

Blog Entries

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Read my last sentence before you attack me. And as a man, no, I don't claim to know, since I don't want to say I know something when I don't. This state is awful for everyone, in many ways. Just not sure what this article was trying to accomplish. But bash away.
    The article pointed out substantive ways women are poorly served/treated and the results. There isn’t an equivalency for men in this state. When you say it’s “awful for everyone “ you try to discredit the fact that women have real obstacles here and are not treated equally to men. So you do present a false equivalency. That’s a common feeling here and why women remain lower on the totem pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Right. This is one of those where an exploitative employer entity will read something completely different than Joe schmoe will. Both sounds good in the headline but in the end it’s a low wages cycle perpetuation.. one of my students was telling me she’s paying $950 a month rent for her and her 4 year old for an apt. Her full time time job paid $16. But child care and rent are just absolutely out of reach.
    Not trying to be inflammatory but are you now teaching how to be an EMT? "one of my students"

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    Not trying to be inflammatory but are you now teaching how to be an EMT? "one of my students"
    No she’s radiologic technology student.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    No she’s radiologic technology student.
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Some of the criteria make no sense. Bashing the state for a low number of women voting, then blaming that on the state not saying how important voting is. That is circular logic, because it makes it seem like Oklahoma only teaches men how to vote and how important it is. It is a flawed study. Not saying Oklahoma is great for women, but some of their logic and metrics were flawed.
    I mean, it is a Wallethub ranking. Those are already more editorials than anything science based - they're junk clickbait. Even if you agree with the conclusions, you can have problems with the methodology, contrary to what some will say.

Thread Information