Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Tower Development Rumors( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

1. Post Non-Tower Development Rumors( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Here, let's speculate on development like we do in the Mystery Tower thread, but for non-towers. If/As rumors become confirmed as official, projects would then get their own thread in the Development forum.

Actually I'm surprised we don't have a central thread for rumors downtown and in the city that aren't tower related, so here goes.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Default Re: Non-Tower Development Rumors( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

I'll make the first post.

While reading Steve's chat today I had an aha moment with regard to a longstanding rumor of a development coming to OKC that will make KC and Dallas jealous. I suspect this development will be turning the old Union bus station into a 24/7 diner. In the latest chat a poster asked Steve if he could build 'three things in the core', and his response was "A 24/7 old fashioned diner like the ones that do quite well in Dallas, Kansas City and all over the east coast".

While KC and Dallas apparently already have these diners, I'd imagine if Union Bus station in downtown OKC was redeveloped into an art deco diner that it likely could make KC and Dallas jealous. Also note that Steve has continually mentioned that he's "not worried" about the 'KC/Dallas jealous' development and there hasn't yet been an announcement for the bus station, while Preftakes did confirm he does have plans for it.

Yes true speculation, but I think this may very well be it. Thoughts?

Default Re: Non-Tower Development Rumors( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

That's an interesting idea but I seriously doubt a diner of any sort or in any location in OKC would make Dallas or KC jealous.

Default Re: Non-Tower Development Rumors( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I'll make the first post.

While reading Steve's chat today I had an aha moment with regard to a longstanding rumor of a development coming to OKC that will make KC and Dallas jealous. I suspect this development will be turning the old Union bus station into a 24/7 diner. In the latest chat a poster asked Steve if he could build 'three things in the core', and his response was "A 24/7 old fashioned diner like the ones that do quite well in Dallas, Kansas City and all over the east coast".

While KC and Dallas apparently already have these diners, I'd imagine if Union Bus station in downtown OKC was redeveloped into an art deco diner that it likely could make KC and Dallas jealous. Also note that Steve has continually mentioned that he's "not worried" about the 'KC/Dallas jealous' development and there hasn't yet been an announcement for the bus station, while Preftakes did confirm he does have plans for it.

Yes true speculation, but I think this may very well be it. Thoughts?
    While this is a very cool idea, I do not believe this is the scale of wow that Steve is referencing. I think he may have given another clue: in his chat he said watch the land that is currently fenced off for St. Anthony construction. He said to watch for something "special" there. That, to me, is a big deal, because that land is a big swath of undeveloped land in the heart of Midtown. Could be a retail / housing development. Could be a grocery. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That's an interesting idea but I seriously doubt a diner of any sort or in any location in OKC would make Dallas or KC jealous.
    Correct, especially since KC and Dallas already have such diners. That would be awesome to see though in OKC. There needs to be more non-chain 24-hour options with character around here.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    While this is a very cool idea, I do not believe this is the scale of wow that Steve is referencing. I think he may have given another clue: in his chat he said watch the land that is currently fenced off for St. Anthony construction. He said to watch for something "special" there. That, to me, is a big deal, because that land is a big swath of undeveloped land in the heart of Midtown. Could be a retail / housing development. Could be a grocery. Who knows?
    I believe Steve has said in the past its going to be in Bricktown. He mentioned today to expect something big announced for Bricktown around the first of 2015. You know how timelines work and that could easily get delayed to much farther in the future but I think that may be what he is hinting at.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    or a 50 story tower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    or a 50 story tower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plupan, that wouldn't make Dallas jealous. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, that wouldn't make Dallas jealous. LOL
    You're right... add a 1 in front of that!!!!!!!!

I believe this rumored large project would be for Lower Bricktown; i.e. south of Reno.

So sorry to bring up towers again, but this has nothing to do with the Lumber Yard?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe this rumored large project would be for Lower Bricktown; i.e. south of Reno.
    Possibly the U-haul area?

Something I'd like to see is a manufacturing hub of sorts. A large number of acreage devoted to manufacturing and distribution. We have areas of manufacturing across the city, but a true hub would be nice. More mixed use communities such as Wheeler and Chisolm Creek as well. Anything that can be done to diversify the economy more so, as well as make the city more appealing to move to.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Something I'd like to see is a manufacturing hub of sorts. A large number of acreage devoted to manufacturing and distribution. We have areas of manufacturing across the city, but a true hub would be nice. More mixed use communities such as Wheeler and Chisolm Creek as well. Anything that can be done to diversify the economy more so, as well as make the city more appealing to move to.
    Are you in the construction industry ChrisHayes?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So sorry to bring up towers again, but this has nothing to do with the Lumber Yard?
    The Lumber Yard would surely make KC jealous but would it make Dallas jealous? Similar high-rise residential projects are almost a dime-a-dozen in the metroplex. In addition, I think there are a few pieces that would have to fall into place before the Lumber Yard would be feasible, one of them is the sell and redevelopment of Producer's Co-op. Pete has indicated that is a possibility in one of the threads so maybe this city is about to see the first step towards the Lumber Yard or something like it becoming real. However, for multiple reasons I doubt the Lumber Yard is what Steve keeps hinting at. For one, most sources point at the mystery project as being something more likely than not, the opposite of reports done so far on the Lumber Yard. Steve had also said it will be entertainment oriented, which might explain it making Dallas jealous given their failure with West End.

16. Default Re: Non-Tower Development Rumors( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Good points all. Keep em coming, non-tower in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Good points all. Keep em coming, non-tower in this thread.
    But what if the Lumber Yard project has a tower and makes Dallas and KC jealous? LOL

Whatever it is, Houston has it but Dallas and KC do not.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    whatever it is, houston has it but dallas and kc do not.
    nasa?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown puncher View Post
    Are you in the construction industry ChrisHayes?

Nope. Just a transplant from Ohio who wants to watch Oklahoma City grow for years

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Something I'd like to see is a manufacturing hub of sorts. A large number of acreage devoted to manufacturing and distribution.
    That pretty much describes the area between Yukon and the airport.

Hobby Lobby alone has over 8 million square feet and there are about two dozen other large manufacturers / distributors in that area.

In fact, the City owns a good chunk of land in that area and provides incentives over and above the usual job creation programs.

And at the eastern end of I-40, you have the equally massive Tinker / Boeing juggernaut. And now East Memorial and North I-35 has several million square feet as well, as does northern Lincoln Boulevard. Most people don't realize the huge manufacturing / distribution base we have in OKC.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in several of Steve's chats he made it seem like the thing that would make KC and Dallas jealous would be entertainment based.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in several of Steve's chats he made it seem like the thing that would make KC and Dallas jealous would be entertainment based.
    I wouldn't put much stock into something big coming to OKC that would make KC and Dallas jealous. Jealous? Yes, in the sense that it might garner their attention.

Anything that would actually make KC and Dallas jealous isn't going to be revealed on this website.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock into something big coming to OKC that would make KC and Dallas jealous. Jealous? Yes, in the sense that it might garner their attention.

Anything that would actually make KC and Dallas jealous isn't going to be revealed on this website.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.
    I can definitely see the possibility of a development in OKC that would make KC jealous, as well as Louisville, Nashville, and San Antonio. It has to be quite a bit bigger to make Dallas jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I had mentioned that in a previous post. From what we've heard from Steve over the course of the past several months of chats is its going to be entertainment based and its going to be in Bricktown. It's NOT the Lumber Yard and it's also not a corporate relocation as some have speculated.

Thread Information