Widgets Magazine

Thread: 2014 Nov. Bond Proposal (Includes a new hotel tax)

Default 2014 Nov. Bond Proposal (Includes a new hotel tax)

Overall, I think this will be good for the city.

MUSTANG, Okla. – The City of Mustang is seeing a lot of growth as more people and businesses move into the community.

However, city leaders say there is a problem with the increase.

As the population grows, so do events and tourists, but officials say there are very few options for those guests to stay in Mustang.

“We have a lot of needs for lodging on the weekend, so it’s certainly something needed,” said City Manager Timothy Rooney.

With new hotels on the horizon, city leaders are trying to implement a hotel tax, which will make its way to the Nov. 4 ballot for voters.

The tax, which is listed as Proposition 1, is similar to a proposal that failed twice in previous elections.

However, officials want to assure residents that they are exempt from paying the proposed 5 percent tax.

“It would be for anyone who spends the night at a hotel in an existing or future hotel in Mustang,” said Rooney.

Empty lots near Wal-Mart and Lowe’s, near Hwy 152, are potential sites for a hotel.

- City leaders calling for new buildings, Mustang residents to decide fate of proposed tax | KFOR.com
    Here is a link to the city's website about the proposal: Hotel Tax Information (Proposition 1) | City of Mustang Oklahoma

Default Re: 2014 Nov. Bond Proposal (Includes a new hotel tax)

My little Mustang has grown up so much.

That motel near McDonald's was the only site for lodging in Mustang while I grew up. I don't know what, if anything else, exists now in Mustang, but the city has a definite need for more options. I would imagine that drill weekends bring in a lot of out-of-towners for the 45th Fires Brigade, and then there's the normal influx of visitors to the city that most cities of Mustang's size can expect. I'd support the tax, but I don't live there quite yet.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Mustang is a nice quite little town, but it won't be that way for long.

I can't believe it was that close. Should have been nearly 100% yes. The problem, like usual is uninformed voters. I had to tell my parents several time vote yes, you won't be paying the tax.

Thread Information